Re: New Year Bolger thoughts

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
      > I certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown.

      Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
      courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
      his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
      the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
      that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
      brush).

      So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.

      Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
      German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.

      Peter
    • David
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y wrote:>

        > Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
        > courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
        > his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
        > the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
        > that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
        > brush).
        >
        > So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.
        >
        > Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
        > German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.
        >
        > Peter

        ***************

        Ah, yes, but... are you under 60 - as I suspect?
      • Bryant Owen
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
          Being partly Welsh, as my dad had it, means you HAVE to sing, doesn't
          necessarily means that you're good at it <g>.

          Hey, I'm not 60 (yet). My mom was a real bobbysockser, had tons of
          Frank's records - and lots of Big Band stuff too. Some of us Baby
          Boomers had lots of opportunities to listen to this stuff, just like
          my kids had to hear all that sixties crap I played.

          Bryant OWEN (probably a distant relation to George Owen, NA)

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote:
          > My very first memory was going into the hospital at the age of four
          > get my tonsils out and the nurse asking me "where's your trumpet
          Harry".