Re: [bolger] Re: New Year Bolger thoughts

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
      My very first memory was going into the hospital at the age of four to
      get my tonsils out and the nurse asking me "where's your trumpet Harry".
      I have heard it one or two times since.

      For the record I play Saxophone and 5 string Banjo, and because I am
      partly Welsh, I have to sing.

      HJ

      Howard Stephenson wrote:

      >A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
      >trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
      >name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
      >about 60).
      >
      >Howard
      >
      >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
      >

      >>The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
      >>right". I was really coming home.
      >>

      >Bolger rules!!!
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >.

    • David
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@a...>
        wrote:

        > A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
        > trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
        > name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
        > about 60).
        >
        > Howard
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
        > > The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
        > > right". I was really coming home.

        *******************

        Howard,

        Hold up there hepcat. Mostly I'm a lurker here, but couldn't let that
        one go. I'm substantially under 60, recently turned 39 (again), and I
        certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown. Of course, I played
        trumpet for a few years. Right now I'm listening to a random selection
        of: Glenn Miller; Miles Davis; Benny Goodman; Cab Calloway; Duke
        Ellington. This kind of music keeps me hopping while I work on the
        boat we're currently building.

        Cheers,
        David Graybeal
        Portland, OR.

        "You know what I miss about the good old days? I wasn't so good & I
        wasn't so old" - Groucho Marx
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
          > I certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown.

          Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
          courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
          his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
          the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
          that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
          brush).

          So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.

          Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
          German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.

          Peter
        • David
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y wrote:>

            > Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
            > courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
            > his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
            > the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
            > that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
            > brush).
            >
            > So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.
            >
            > Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
            > German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.
            >
            > Peter

            ***************

            Ah, yes, but... are you under 60 - as I suspect?
          • Bryant Owen
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
              Being partly Welsh, as my dad had it, means you HAVE to sing, doesn't
              necessarily means that you're good at it <g>.

              Hey, I'm not 60 (yet). My mom was a real bobbysockser, had tons of
              Frank's records - and lots of Big Band stuff too. Some of us Baby
              Boomers had lots of opportunities to listen to this stuff, just like
              my kids had to hear all that sixties crap I played.

              Bryant OWEN (probably a distant relation to George Owen, NA)