Re: New Year Bolger thoughts

  • Howard Stephenson
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
      A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
      trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
      name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
      about 60).

      Howard

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
      > The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
      > right". I was really coming home.
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
        My very first memory was going into the hospital at the age of four to
        get my tonsils out and the nurse asking me "where's your trumpet Harry".
        I have heard it one or two times since.

        For the record I play Saxophone and 5 string Banjo, and because I am
        partly Welsh, I have to sing.

        HJ

        Howard Stephenson wrote:

        >A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
        >trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
        >name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
        >about 60).
        >
        >Howard
        >
        >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
        >

        >>The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
        >>right". I was really coming home.
        >>

        >Bolger rules!!!
        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >.

      • David
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@a...>
          wrote:

          > A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
          > trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
          > name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
          > about 60).
          >
          > Howard
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
          > > The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
          > > right". I was really coming home.

          *******************

          Howard,

          Hold up there hepcat. Mostly I'm a lurker here, but couldn't let that
          one go. I'm substantially under 60, recently turned 39 (again), and I
          certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown. Of course, I played
          trumpet for a few years. Right now I'm listening to a random selection
          of: Glenn Miller; Miles Davis; Benny Goodman; Cab Calloway; Duke
          Ellington. This kind of music keeps me hopping while I work on the
          boat we're currently building.

          Cheers,
          David Graybeal
          Portland, OR.

          "You know what I miss about the good old days? I wasn't so good & I
          wasn't so old" - Groucho Marx
        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
            > I certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown.

            Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
            courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
            his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
            the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
            that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
            brush).

            So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.

            Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
            German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.

            Peter
          • David
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y wrote:>

              > Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
              > courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
              > his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
              > the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
              > that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
              > brush).
              >
              > So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.
              >
              > Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
              > German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.
              >
              > Peter

              ***************

              Ah, yes, but... are you under 60 - as I suspect?
            • Bryant Owen
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                Being partly Welsh, as my dad had it, means you HAVE to sing, doesn't
                necessarily means that you're good at it <g>.

                Hey, I'm not 60 (yet). My mom was a real bobbysockser, had tons of
                Frank's records - and lots of Big Band stuff too. Some of us Baby
                Boomers had lots of opportunities to listen to this stuff, just like
                my kids had to hear all that sixties crap I played.

                Bryant OWEN (probably a distant relation to George Owen, NA)