Re: [bolger] Re: carbon fibre option for small masts and sprits

  • Will Samson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
      This always gets the
      gals worked up with fevered fantasies of experiencing some of that
      force applied to themselves :-)
      Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability, he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

      Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the lassies tell me).

      Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the group a braw New Year!

      Yous in seemly sobriety,

      Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

    • Jamie Orr
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
        Weel pit, oor Wullie.

        A Happy New Year to all indeed.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
          Ye ken aboot Oor Wullie!

          I'm greatly impressed!

          Wull
          > gals worked up with fevered fantasies of experiencing some of
          that
          > force applied to themselves :-)
          > Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it
          would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither
          used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability,
          he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

          > Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the
          attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up
          there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the
          lassies tell me).

          > Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the
          group a braw New Year!

          > Yous in seemly sobriety,
          >
          > Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

          Bolger rules!!!

        • Jamie Orr
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
            Hi Gang,

            Just in from my first sail of the year. Wayward Lass is still
            waiting for her new mast so I borrowed the boy's elegant
            punt "Creamsicle".

            Hard to find enough room to get comfortable with 240 pounds and bad
            knees, but managed to find the groove a few times on both the good
            and bad tacks. Having the leeboard on the opposite side to the sprit
            boom seemed to work best and evened out the performance.

            Almost swamped once when I lost the wind suddenly. Had my weight
            well to windward, and when the wind stopped pushing, water started
            pouring in over that gunwale -- thought she was going to fill before
            I could get centred, but managed to make it. Swimming ashore is not
            a safe option in our cold waters! A few minutes work with the bailer
            put the ocean back in its place.

            Also found things unstable when running. Might have been because I
            had more wind than I really wanted, 10 knots felt like a gale. Much
            happier with about 5.

            Stopped for lunch on a sheltered beach, drank a short hot rum to the
            coming year. Things are looking good so far!

            Coming back I unshipped both rudder and leeboard and steered with an
            oar (in its regular place but trailing back). I'd started upwind, so
            coming home I had the wind over my shoulder -- and it had dropped a
            bit. Anyway, that was really nice because I could sail right in to
            the beach. Going to have to change the rudder to a kick up version
            for the future. And it's awkward getting the pin in while bobbing
            around the ocean in any case.

            Made two resolutions while I was out there -- get the new mast
            finished soon and drop 40 pounds!

            Cheers,

            Jamie

            (Aye Bill, and I ken aboot the Broons tae. Grannie used to send The
            Sunday Post up to Orkney every week. Jings!)

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
            > Ye ken aboot Oor Wullie!
            >
            > I'm greatly impressed!
            >
            > Wull
          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
              >However, once it's up...I feel
              > obliged to make the best of each effort and savor each moment to
              > make lasting memories.

              Truer words have not been spoken! ;-)

              > Windemere is looking great! How many gallons of glop and goo have
              > you used so far? It looks as if you have cornered the market.

              Hi David,Thanks! I haven't an accurate tally but it must be several
              gallons certainly to date. I'll have to get back to you on that
              one,once I've got all my bills in order.The bulk of the epoxy use
              however,is yet to come since neither the outside nor inside have
              been treated with it so far nor has the rood been installed.
              Have you built a model of your next boat? Are you still considering
              one of the bigger Bolger Boxes? I sure hope so :-)

              Have a nice winter and lets hope for an early Spring.....we're all
              getting to old to put up with the white stuff and all its' delays to
              proper boating fun!

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan,who can now swear that he feels the days growing
              long......yippee!
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
                > Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it
                would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither
                used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability,
                he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

                > Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the
                attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up
                there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the
                lassies tell me).

                > Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the
                group a braw New Year!

                > Yous in seemly sobriety,
                >
                > Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

                Sir Wullie,
                LOL!!!Awefully glad to read you took it all in good
                spirits.Never know when one might be getting the wrong ideas at the
                right times :-)

                All the best to your and yours too in this New Year!!

                Sincerely,

                Peter"three sheets to the wind" Lenihan....
              • Nels
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
                  wrote:

                  The bulk of the epoxy use
                  > however,is yet to come since neither the outside nor inside have
                  > been treated with it so far nor has the rood been installed.

                  Hi Peter,

                  Where are you planning to install the rood? Right next to the
                  captains bed I suppose and alongside the invisible rope chest?

                  When I observe Windermer's beautiful bottom with box keel and that
                  absolutely magnifique centerboard I can't help but wonder if it is
                  still not too late to lower that deckhouse height, add a small
                  pilothouse, maybe some extra batteries for ballest, and install two
                  beautifully hand-carved eastern spruce masts! Just imagine how much
                  glop you will save, let alone the cost of all that interior plumbing,
                  cabinetry, glitz and glitter, hot tub and expensive motor.

                  All you need is a bucket, a hammock and a big cooler mate! You could
                  be out sailing along the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence, in the
                  schooner Windermere by the time most the ice is out. And all you will
                  need is the T9.9 Yam and you wouldn't have to stop once you reached
                  the ocean.

                  Quite this "estuary cruiser" nonsence before it is too late!

                  Best of the Year To Ya!,

                  Nels
                  From along the shores of Moose Jaw Creek, where the temperature has
                  risen 10 degrees to a balmy -25.
                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
                    > Where are you planning to install the rood? Right next to the
                    > captains bed I suppose and alongside the invisible rope chest?

                    Hi Pirate Nels!

                    Well,I should have checked my terrible spelling first,thus
                    rood would have been corrected to read "roof" :-) I plan on keeping
                    the invisible rope chest on the bottom of one of the closets in the
                    stateroom......that way "they" can be lured into the right setting
                    for such antics :-D

                    > When I observe Windermer's beautiful bottom with box keel and that
                    > absolutely magnifique centerboard I can't help but wonder if it is
                    > still not too late to lower that deckhouse height, add a small
                    > pilothouse, maybe some extra batteries for ballest, and install
                    two
                    > beautifully hand-carved eastern spruce masts! Just imagine how
                    much
                    > glop you will save, let alone the cost of all that interior
                    plumbing,
                    > cabinetry, glitz and glitter, hot tub and expensive motor.
                    >
                    > All you need is a bucket, a hammock and a big cooler mate! You
                    could
                    > be out sailing along the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence, in the
                    > schooner Windermere by the time most the ice is out. And all you
                    will
                    > need is the T9.9 Yam and you wouldn't have to stop once you
                    reached
                    > the ocean.
                    >
                    > Quite this "estuary cruiser" nonsence before it is too late!
                    >
                    > Best of the Year To Ya!,
                    >
                    > Nels
                    > From along the shores of Moose Jaw Creek, where the temperature
                    has
                    > risen 10 degrees to a balmy -25.

                    You are not the first to suggest lowering the coach roof some,to at
                    least get a proper pilot house with a porthole looking aft.However,
                    you are the first to publicly call for abandoning the "estuary
                    cruiser" mode and to make her into a schooner! Only one other pirate
                    of reknown,Bruce Hector,would have been so bold(you're in good
                    company there!) :-)
                    As much as I would love to accomadate this sort of craziness, I must
                    confess that I am rather smitten with Windermere,as is, and even
                    more so with the prospect of multiple hijinks,blow high,blow
                    low,with genial company.
                    The cost,as you so correctly point out,would be reduced
                    considerably,but so too would the palacial comforts afforded by
                    Windermere. Moreover,it will be precisely these comforts which will
                    serve as convincing inducements for prospective crew.T's one thing
                    ta get'em on board,laddy,but a whole other animal ta keep them thar:-
                    )

                    As to the presence of spars; don't forget that there is that
                    ingenious anchor davit,up forward,which I have been considering
                    getting chromed,thus serving two functions...... then there is the
                    roof top mast for flying all sorts of paraphenia including les sous-
                    v├ętements,followed by the mighty flag staff aft,most likely out of
                    mahogany .Of course,it is hoped that the interior too will see its'
                    fair share of "wood",on occassion,in the stateroom,with velvet
                    curtains drawn :-)
                    But were I to build me some real masts,like for a schooner or other
                    lovely vessel,I would get me hands on some Quebec black
                    spruce....the next best thing to Sitka Spruce for tightness of its'
                    annual rings although a bit heavier then Sitka.Eastern is better
                    left to planking,me thinks.
                    How I envy you your balmy weather of -25 as I labour away in a
                    sweltering -9C. Enjoy it while it lasts for we will soon enough be
                    cooking in + 5 weather :-)

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan,tempted,teased and tortured with all sorts of crazy
                    ideas but nevertheless focused on Windermere,from along the frozen
                    banks of the St.Lawrence Seaway........