Re: carbon fibre option for small masts and sprits

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
      Ah Peter, it must be the winter doldrums speaking out loud from the
      hoary frost on the banks of the St. Lawrence. Only 60 more days of
      winter madness to endure. The banks of the Charles are also too
      frozen to encourage any sane use of watercraft by sensible people.

      Down here in Beantown, the only disadvantage us yankees would
      immediately focus on is the price difference. $100 for a custom set
      of construction grade wood spars vs. close to $600 US for both the
      Main and Mizzen and that is for materials only.

      I too prefer working with planes and wood shavings rather than
      playing with glass and goop, but the weight to strength ratio would
      be significant! I wouldn't mind asking my crew to to erect the mast
      every now and then if it weren't such a brutish job to do. This was
      much easier when I was younger. However, once it's up...I feel
      obliged to make the best of each effort and savor each moment to
      make lasting memories.

      Windemere is looking great! How many gallons of glop and goo have
      you used so far? It looks as if you have cornered the market.

      Happy Building.
      David Jost
    • Will Samson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
        This always gets the
        gals worked up with fevered fantasies of experiencing some of that
        force applied to themselves :-)
        Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability, he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

        Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the lassies tell me).

        Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the group a braw New Year!

        Yous in seemly sobriety,

        Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

      • Jamie Orr
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
          Weel pit, oor Wullie.

          A Happy New Year to all indeed.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
            Ye ken aboot Oor Wullie!

            I'm greatly impressed!

            Wull
            > gals worked up with fevered fantasies of experiencing some of
            that
            > force applied to themselves :-)
            > Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it
            would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither
            used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability,
            he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

            > Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the
            attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up
            there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the
            lassies tell me).

            > Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the
            group a braw New Year!

            > Yous in seemly sobriety,
            >
            > Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

            Bolger rules!!!

          • Jamie Orr
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
              Hi Gang,

              Just in from my first sail of the year. Wayward Lass is still
              waiting for her new mast so I borrowed the boy's elegant
              punt "Creamsicle".

              Hard to find enough room to get comfortable with 240 pounds and bad
              knees, but managed to find the groove a few times on both the good
              and bad tacks. Having the leeboard on the opposite side to the sprit
              boom seemed to work best and evened out the performance.

              Almost swamped once when I lost the wind suddenly. Had my weight
              well to windward, and when the wind stopped pushing, water started
              pouring in over that gunwale -- thought she was going to fill before
              I could get centred, but managed to make it. Swimming ashore is not
              a safe option in our cold waters! A few minutes work with the bailer
              put the ocean back in its place.

              Also found things unstable when running. Might have been because I
              had more wind than I really wanted, 10 knots felt like a gale. Much
              happier with about 5.

              Stopped for lunch on a sheltered beach, drank a short hot rum to the
              coming year. Things are looking good so far!

              Coming back I unshipped both rudder and leeboard and steered with an
              oar (in its regular place but trailing back). I'd started upwind, so
              coming home I had the wind over my shoulder -- and it had dropped a
              bit. Anyway, that was really nice because I could sail right in to
              the beach. Going to have to change the rudder to a kick up version
              for the future. And it's awkward getting the pin in while bobbing
              around the ocean in any case.

              Made two resolutions while I was out there -- get the new mast
              finished soon and drop 40 pounds!

              Cheers,

              Jamie

              (Aye Bill, and I ken aboot the Broons tae. Grannie used to send The
              Sunday Post up to Orkney every week. Jings!)

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
              > Ye ken aboot Oor Wullie!
              >
              > I'm greatly impressed!
              >
              > Wull
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
                >However, once it's up...I feel
                > obliged to make the best of each effort and savor each moment to
                > make lasting memories.

                Truer words have not been spoken! ;-)

                > Windemere is looking great! How many gallons of glop and goo have
                > you used so far? It looks as if you have cornered the market.

                Hi David,Thanks! I haven't an accurate tally but it must be several
                gallons certainly to date. I'll have to get back to you on that
                one,once I've got all my bills in order.The bulk of the epoxy use
                however,is yet to come since neither the outside nor inside have
                been treated with it so far nor has the rood been installed.
                Have you built a model of your next boat? Are you still considering
                one of the bigger Bolger Boxes? I sure hope so :-)

                Have a nice winter and lets hope for an early Spring.....we're all
                getting to old to put up with the white stuff and all its' delays to
                proper boating fun!

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan,who can now swear that he feels the days growing
                long......yippee!
              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
                  > Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it
                  would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither
                  used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability,
                  he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

                  > Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the
                  attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up
                  there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the
                  lassies tell me).

                  > Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the
                  group a braw New Year!

                  > Yous in seemly sobriety,
                  >
                  > Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

                  Sir Wullie,
                  LOL!!!Awefully glad to read you took it all in good
                  spirits.Never know when one might be getting the wrong ideas at the
                  right times :-)

                  All the best to your and yours too in this New Year!!

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter"three sheets to the wind" Lenihan....
                • Nels
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
                    wrote:

                    The bulk of the epoxy use
                    > however,is yet to come since neither the outside nor inside have
                    > been treated with it so far nor has the rood been installed.

                    Hi Peter,

                    Where are you planning to install the rood? Right next to the
                    captains bed I suppose and alongside the invisible rope chest?

                    When I observe Windermer's beautiful bottom with box keel and that
                    absolutely magnifique centerboard I can't help but wonder if it is
                    still not too late to lower that deckhouse height, add a small
                    pilothouse, maybe some extra batteries for ballest, and install two
                    beautifully hand-carved eastern spruce masts! Just imagine how much
                    glop you will save, let alone the cost of all that interior plumbing,
                    cabinetry, glitz and glitter, hot tub and expensive motor.

                    All you need is a bucket, a hammock and a big cooler mate! You could
                    be out sailing along the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence, in the
                    schooner Windermere by the time most the ice is out. And all you will
                    need is the T9.9 Yam and you wouldn't have to stop once you reached
                    the ocean.

                    Quite this "estuary cruiser" nonsence before it is too late!

                    Best of the Year To Ya!,

                    Nels
                    From along the shores of Moose Jaw Creek, where the temperature has
                    risen 10 degrees to a balmy -25.
                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
                      > Where are you planning to install the rood? Right next to the
                      > captains bed I suppose and alongside the invisible rope chest?

                      Hi Pirate Nels!

                      Well,I should have checked my terrible spelling first,thus
                      rood would have been corrected to read "roof" :-) I plan on keeping
                      the invisible rope chest on the bottom of one of the closets in the
                      stateroom......that way "they" can be lured into the right setting
                      for such antics :-D

                      > When I observe Windermer's beautiful bottom with box keel and that
                      > absolutely magnifique centerboard I can't help but wonder if it is
                      > still not too late to lower that deckhouse height, add a small
                      > pilothouse, maybe some extra batteries for ballest, and install
                      two
                      > beautifully hand-carved eastern spruce masts! Just imagine how
                      much
                      > glop you will save, let alone the cost of all that interior
                      plumbing,
                      > cabinetry, glitz and glitter, hot tub and expensive motor.
                      >
                      > All you need is a bucket, a hammock and a big cooler mate! You
                      could
                      > be out sailing along the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence, in the
                      > schooner Windermere by the time most the ice is out. And all you
                      will
                      > need is the T9.9 Yam and you wouldn't have to stop once you
                      reached
                      > the ocean.
                      >
                      > Quite this "estuary cruiser" nonsence before it is too late!
                      >
                      > Best of the Year To Ya!,
                      >
                      > Nels
                      > From along the shores of Moose Jaw Creek, where the temperature
                      has
                      > risen 10 degrees to a balmy -25.

                      You are not the first to suggest lowering the coach roof some,to at
                      least get a proper pilot house with a porthole looking aft.However,
                      you are the first to publicly call for abandoning the "estuary
                      cruiser" mode and to make her into a schooner! Only one other pirate
                      of reknown,Bruce Hector,would have been so bold(you're in good
                      company there!) :-)
                      As much as I would love to accomadate this sort of craziness, I must
                      confess that I am rather smitten with Windermere,as is, and even
                      more so with the prospect of multiple hijinks,blow high,blow
                      low,with genial company.
                      The cost,as you so correctly point out,would be reduced
                      considerably,but so too would the palacial comforts afforded by
                      Windermere. Moreover,it will be precisely these comforts which will
                      serve as convincing inducements for prospective crew.T's one thing
                      ta get'em on board,laddy,but a whole other animal ta keep them thar:-
                      )

                      As to the presence of spars; don't forget that there is that
                      ingenious anchor davit,up forward,which I have been considering
                      getting chromed,thus serving two functions...... then there is the
                      roof top mast for flying all sorts of paraphenia including les sous-
                      v├ętements,followed by the mighty flag staff aft,most likely out of
                      mahogany .Of course,it is hoped that the interior too will see its'
                      fair share of "wood",on occassion,in the stateroom,with velvet
                      curtains drawn :-)
                      But were I to build me some real masts,like for a schooner or other
                      lovely vessel,I would get me hands on some Quebec black
                      spruce....the next best thing to Sitka Spruce for tightness of its'
                      annual rings although a bit heavier then Sitka.Eastern is better
                      left to planking,me thinks.
                      How I envy you your balmy weather of -25 as I labour away in a
                      sweltering -9C. Enjoy it while it lasts for we will soon enough be
                      cooking in + 5 weather :-)

                      Sincerely,

                      Peter Lenihan,tempted,teased and tortured with all sorts of crazy
                      ideas but nevertheless focused on Windermere,from along the frozen
                      banks of the St.Lawrence Seaway........