Re: carbon fibre option for small masts and sprits

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
      > Sounds like an eminently sensible way to spend a few hundred
      dollars, especially if you've tried routinely raising and lowering a
      large, unstayed mast.

      Aye,t's a very sensible thing indeed but very sad too! For where
      now will the manly art of heaving timber spars around go to,I ask?
      Surely no one can deny the awesome beauty witnessed in the tossing
      of ye olde caber nor the impressive display of brute,manly muscle,
      enjoyed by most audiences to local(North American) lumber jack
      competitions!?
      No more will we men be able to impress some wee lassy with heart
      stopping feats of physical finesse as we casually mention to her
      that we'll be ready to go for a sail as soon as you"raise the
      stick". Ah yes matey,there are few things more primeval then when a
      man can put hand to wood and successfully wrestle it upright!
      Perhaps more impressive still is not only the eye-brow raising
      display of male strength but also the extreme tenderness diplayed as
      one lowers and lays the monster(spar) to bed.This always gets the
      gals worked up with fevered fantasies of experiencing some of that
      force applied to themselves :-)
      Now don't go reading this all wrong! I have nothing against
      technology,especially if it applies to boats. But after seeing the
      pictures of the high-tech home built tube(spar is way too noble a
      term for this thing), I immediately noticed that I had no desire
      to "reach out and touch it".Its black,stealthy appearance left me
      feeling cold and a wee bit afeared of it too.The fact it almost
      ressembles a giant probe didn't help much either! Just imagine this
      light weight wonder of technology,capable of being handled by anyone
      of the fairer sex, falling into the hands of an aggrieved crew
      member?!About the best a man could do in such straits would be to
      never turn his back to her!
      I fear we risk becoming nothing more then a heap of puddin' if
      we let pass the age old tradition of shaping our own spars out of
      this earths own wood.Few things can match the aroma of freshly
      shaved spruce as our plane sings another sliver off our future
      spar.Few things,that is, other then the magical spectacle of fine
      saw dust caught floating around in a golden beam of sunlight as we
      gently sand out the last of the roughness in our spar. And then
      comes the spar varnish! What a treat for the nostrils that is and
      what a treat for the eyes as we watch it penetrate the spruce adding
      depth and richness where only paleness lay before. When all our
      labour is done, we are rewarded yet again by our spars alluring
      presence which calls out to us and says,"touch me"......
      Aye, I challenge anyone to find even an ounce of beauty in that
      evil high-tech cousin of a spar! I doubt the critter even knows how
      to speak our own language,cold evil thing that it is!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan, longing for the feeling of real wood,any wood,in his
      hands.........
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
        Ah Peter, it must be the winter doldrums speaking out loud from the
        hoary frost on the banks of the St. Lawrence. Only 60 more days of
        winter madness to endure. The banks of the Charles are also too
        frozen to encourage any sane use of watercraft by sensible people.

        Down here in Beantown, the only disadvantage us yankees would
        immediately focus on is the price difference. $100 for a custom set
        of construction grade wood spars vs. close to $600 US for both the
        Main and Mizzen and that is for materials only.

        I too prefer working with planes and wood shavings rather than
        playing with glass and goop, but the weight to strength ratio would
        be significant! I wouldn't mind asking my crew to to erect the mast
        every now and then if it weren't such a brutish job to do. This was
        much easier when I was younger. However, once it's up...I feel
        obliged to make the best of each effort and savor each moment to
        make lasting memories.

        Windemere is looking great! How many gallons of glop and goo have
        you used so far? It looks as if you have cornered the market.

        Happy Building.
        David Jost
      • Will Samson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
          This always gets the
          gals worked up with fevered fantasies of experiencing some of that
          force applied to themselves :-)
          Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability, he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

          Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the lassies tell me).

          Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the group a braw New Year!

          Yous in seemly sobriety,

          Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

        • Jamie Orr
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
            Weel pit, oor Wullie.

            A Happy New Year to all indeed.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
              Ye ken aboot Oor Wullie!

              I'm greatly impressed!

              Wull
              > gals worked up with fevered fantasies of experiencing some of
              that
              > force applied to themselves :-)
              > Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it
              would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither
              used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability,
              he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

              > Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the
              attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up
              there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the
              lassies tell me).

              > Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the
              group a braw New Year!

              > Yous in seemly sobriety,
              >
              > Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

              Bolger rules!!!

            • Jamie Orr
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
                Hi Gang,

                Just in from my first sail of the year. Wayward Lass is still
                waiting for her new mast so I borrowed the boy's elegant
                punt "Creamsicle".

                Hard to find enough room to get comfortable with 240 pounds and bad
                knees, but managed to find the groove a few times on both the good
                and bad tacks. Having the leeboard on the opposite side to the sprit
                boom seemed to work best and evened out the performance.

                Almost swamped once when I lost the wind suddenly. Had my weight
                well to windward, and when the wind stopped pushing, water started
                pouring in over that gunwale -- thought she was going to fill before
                I could get centred, but managed to make it. Swimming ashore is not
                a safe option in our cold waters! A few minutes work with the bailer
                put the ocean back in its place.

                Also found things unstable when running. Might have been because I
                had more wind than I really wanted, 10 knots felt like a gale. Much
                happier with about 5.

                Stopped for lunch on a sheltered beach, drank a short hot rum to the
                coming year. Things are looking good so far!

                Coming back I unshipped both rudder and leeboard and steered with an
                oar (in its regular place but trailing back). I'd started upwind, so
                coming home I had the wind over my shoulder -- and it had dropped a
                bit. Anyway, that was really nice because I could sail right in to
                the beach. Going to have to change the rudder to a kick up version
                for the future. And it's awkward getting the pin in while bobbing
                around the ocean in any case.

                Made two resolutions while I was out there -- get the new mast
                finished soon and drop 40 pounds!

                Cheers,

                Jamie

                (Aye Bill, and I ken aboot the Broons tae. Grannie used to send The
                Sunday Post up to Orkney every week. Jings!)

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
                > Ye ken aboot Oor Wullie!
                >
                > I'm greatly impressed!
                >
                > Wull
              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
                  >However, once it's up...I feel
                  > obliged to make the best of each effort and savor each moment to
                  > make lasting memories.

                  Truer words have not been spoken! ;-)

                  > Windemere is looking great! How many gallons of glop and goo have
                  > you used so far? It looks as if you have cornered the market.

                  Hi David,Thanks! I haven't an accurate tally but it must be several
                  gallons certainly to date. I'll have to get back to you on that
                  one,once I've got all my bills in order.The bulk of the epoxy use
                  however,is yet to come since neither the outside nor inside have
                  been treated with it so far nor has the rood been installed.
                  Have you built a model of your next boat? Are you still considering
                  one of the bigger Bolger Boxes? I sure hope so :-)

                  Have a nice winter and lets hope for an early Spring.....we're all
                  getting to old to put up with the white stuff and all its' delays to
                  proper boating fun!

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter Lenihan,who can now swear that he feels the days growing
                  long......yippee!
                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
                    > Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it
                    would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither
                    used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability,
                    he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

                    > Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the
                    attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up
                    there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the
                    lassies tell me).

                    > Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the
                    group a braw New Year!

                    > Yous in seemly sobriety,
                    >
                    > Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

                    Sir Wullie,
                    LOL!!!Awefully glad to read you took it all in good
                    spirits.Never know when one might be getting the wrong ideas at the
                    right times :-)

                    All the best to your and yours too in this New Year!!

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter"three sheets to the wind" Lenihan....
                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
                      wrote:

                      The bulk of the epoxy use
                      > however,is yet to come since neither the outside nor inside have
                      > been treated with it so far nor has the rood been installed.

                      Hi Peter,

                      Where are you planning to install the rood? Right next to the
                      captains bed I suppose and alongside the invisible rope chest?

                      When I observe Windermer's beautiful bottom with box keel and that
                      absolutely magnifique centerboard I can't help but wonder if it is
                      still not too late to lower that deckhouse height, add a small
                      pilothouse, maybe some extra batteries for ballest, and install two
                      beautifully hand-carved eastern spruce masts! Just imagine how much
                      glop you will save, let alone the cost of all that interior plumbing,
                      cabinetry, glitz and glitter, hot tub and expensive motor.

                      All you need is a bucket, a hammock and a big cooler mate! You could
                      be out sailing along the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence, in the
                      schooner Windermere by the time most the ice is out. And all you will
                      need is the T9.9 Yam and you wouldn't have to stop once you reached
                      the ocean.

                      Quite this "estuary cruiser" nonsence before it is too late!

                      Best of the Year To Ya!,

                      Nels
                      From along the shores of Moose Jaw Creek, where the temperature has
                      risen 10 degrees to a balmy -25.
                    • Peter Lenihan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
                        > Where are you planning to install the rood? Right next to the
                        > captains bed I suppose and alongside the invisible rope chest?

                        Hi Pirate Nels!

                        Well,I should have checked my terrible spelling first,thus
                        rood would have been corrected to read "roof" :-) I plan on keeping
                        the invisible rope chest on the bottom of one of the closets in the
                        stateroom......that way "they" can be lured into the right setting
                        for such antics :-D

                        > When I observe Windermer's beautiful bottom with box keel and that
                        > absolutely magnifique centerboard I can't help but wonder if it is
                        > still not too late to lower that deckhouse height, add a small
                        > pilothouse, maybe some extra batteries for ballest, and install
                        two
                        > beautifully hand-carved eastern spruce masts! Just imagine how
                        much
                        > glop you will save, let alone the cost of all that interior
                        plumbing,
                        > cabinetry, glitz and glitter, hot tub and expensive motor.
                        >
                        > All you need is a bucket, a hammock and a big cooler mate! You
                        could
                        > be out sailing along the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence, in the
                        > schooner Windermere by the time most the ice is out. And all you
                        will
                        > need is the T9.9 Yam and you wouldn't have to stop once you
                        reached
                        > the ocean.
                        >
                        > Quite this "estuary cruiser" nonsence before it is too late!
                        >
                        > Best of the Year To Ya!,
                        >
                        > Nels
                        > From along the shores of Moose Jaw Creek, where the temperature
                        has
                        > risen 10 degrees to a balmy -25.

                        You are not the first to suggest lowering the coach roof some,to at
                        least get a proper pilot house with a porthole looking aft.However,
                        you are the first to publicly call for abandoning the "estuary
                        cruiser" mode and to make her into a schooner! Only one other pirate
                        of reknown,Bruce Hector,would have been so bold(you're in good
                        company there!) :-)
                        As much as I would love to accomadate this sort of craziness, I must
                        confess that I am rather smitten with Windermere,as is, and even
                        more so with the prospect of multiple hijinks,blow high,blow
                        low,with genial company.
                        The cost,as you so correctly point out,would be reduced
                        considerably,but so too would the palacial comforts afforded by
                        Windermere. Moreover,it will be precisely these comforts which will
                        serve as convincing inducements for prospective crew.T's one thing
                        ta get'em on board,laddy,but a whole other animal ta keep them thar:-
                        )

                        As to the presence of spars; don't forget that there is that
                        ingenious anchor davit,up forward,which I have been considering
                        getting chromed,thus serving two functions...... then there is the
                        roof top mast for flying all sorts of paraphenia including les sous-
                        v├ętements,followed by the mighty flag staff aft,most likely out of
                        mahogany .Of course,it is hoped that the interior too will see its'
                        fair share of "wood",on occassion,in the stateroom,with velvet
                        curtains drawn :-)
                        But were I to build me some real masts,like for a schooner or other
                        lovely vessel,I would get me hands on some Quebec black
                        spruce....the next best thing to Sitka Spruce for tightness of its'
                        annual rings although a bit heavier then Sitka.Eastern is better
                        left to planking,me thinks.
                        How I envy you your balmy weather of -25 as I labour away in a
                        sweltering -9C. Enjoy it while it lasts for we will soon enough be
                        cooking in + 5 weather :-)

                        Sincerely,

                        Peter Lenihan,tempted,teased and tortured with all sorts of crazy
                        ideas but nevertheless focused on Windermere,from along the frozen
                        banks of the St.Lawrence Seaway........