Re: [bolger] Re: Birdwatcher II - others being built?

  • Philip Smith
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
      When choosing a foam you should also consider any
      toxic fumes it might give off if it and your boat
      happen to catch fire. Different foams have very
      different levels of toxicity.

      You may want to give yourself a chance to drown before
      you die from poisoning.

      Phil Smith
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Philip Smith <pbs@w...> wrote:
        > When choosing a foam you should also consider any
        > toxic fumes it might give off if it and your boat
        > happen to catch fire.

        Hmmmmm.....seems to me that if your boat is on FIRE(yikes!) you've
        really got your hands full and your world is not made better with
        the presence of less toxic elements either within the hull materials
        and your boats contents :-0
        However, some plastics do off-gas for many,many months and this may
        be more delitrious to ones health in the long run......I think :-)

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan
      • Bob Larkin
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
          Nels wrote:
          >I am not certain if the hull is a TRUE ply/foam/ply sandwich
          >construction as the foam is not laminated to the plywood. Or is it? I
          >am not sure if it is meant to be a structural component. Of course
          >the doubled ply is really strong by itself - even without the foam!

          The installation of the foam presents several interesting issues. I have
          not seen Bolger address them specifically, but it strikes me as most
          desirable to make the foam and plywood into a sandwich, with strong
          adhesive. Structurally, this increases the strength for forces pulling from
          the outside, that may occur when the boat is heeled. Also important, is to
          prevent voids that can collect water. I was planning to use some 2-part
          expanding foam in small left-over volumes around the foam sheets.

          I have used the expanding foam before, and I remember problems in
          controlling the stuff! It sometimes didn't want to go where you wanted,
          and other times wanted to sneak out through cracks. I want to have all the
          expanding foam in place before putting the inner plywood on. This allows
          cleanup and redo of missed areas. The expanding foam I used also required
          good ventilation! Maybe they have better products now, as this was 15
          years ago.

          John K., I plan to do some small test panels with the foam sandwich. I can
          drop off a sample for you to play with if you want? This will probably be
          early Feb. You will probably think of good ways to torture the stuff.

          >If I was
          >to use 3/8" MDO I would only glass below the waterline. If I used
          >1/4" I would glass the entire exterior. The weight would probably end
          >up the same. Of course it also depends on what kind of plywood one
          >uses.

          Nels, on the build up for the sides, I now understand the constraints that
          David was working with! Thanks. I agree on the use of glass for the 1/4"
          plywood, but it probably could be thinner than the bottom.

          >A great asset of the design is it's 6" draft and low momemntum which
          >means it will pass right over most obstructions or just bounce off
          >with nary more than a scratch. All blows will be glancing with the
          >exception of the bottom and chimes and these are easily reinforced
          >with extra glass taping, or even a sacrificial skid.
          >
          >How about UMHD strakes like Bruce used on Rose?

          Yes, and it sounds like another good area to learn more about. I have used
          it for small sliding parts---but why not the boat. BTW, I plan to take the
          boat all the way to the water on the trailer ;-)

          I am really curious about the slot closure system. Can you elaborate
          on that?

          Bolger does not overburden us with details for the hard hatches. Made up in
          four overlapping sections, they are again fabricated from a sandwich of
          1-inch foam with 3mm plywood top and bottom. The aft section has a 32-inch
          cover that hinges forward. They sit just high enough over the
          standing-room comings to allow drainage between sections. There are no
          suggestions for stowage. As drawn, they are too long to fit in the forward
          compartment.

          These hatches are somewhat large, typically 2x4 feet. I will try to report
          later on their apparent ability to bear weight. Again this is the sandwich
          question. They also are easy to modify/replace, if needed.

          My present plan is to build this type of hatch for the forward and aft
          compartments and start out with a minimal soft cover for the middle (plus a
          middle tent for camping). I'm still looking for proper latches.

          Many thanks to all for the fine comments!

          Bob
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
            > >How about UMHD strakes like Bruce used on Rose?
            >
            > Yes, and it sounds like another good area to learn more about. I have used
            > it for small sliding parts---but why not the boat. BTW, I plan to take the
            > boat all the way to the water on the trailer ;-)

            <grin> Having UHMW skid strips on the boat was also useful when
            pushing/pulling the boat around in my shop and driveway during
            construction. It makes sense to reinforce the 'points of contact'
            of the hull, the center bottom of the fin keel, and the center
            edges of the chines.
          • Howard Stephenson
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
              A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
              trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
              name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
              about 60).

              Howard

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
              > The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
              > right". I was really coming home.
            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                My very first memory was going into the hospital at the age of four to
                get my tonsils out and the nurse asking me "where's your trumpet Harry".
                I have heard it one or two times since.

                For the record I play Saxophone and 5 string Banjo, and because I am
                partly Welsh, I have to sing.

                HJ

                Howard Stephenson wrote:

                >A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
                >trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
                >name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
                >about 60).
                >
                >Howard
                >
                >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
                >

                >>The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
                >>right". I was really coming home.
                >>

                >Bolger rules!!!
                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                >.

              • David
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@a...>
                  wrote:

                  > A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
                  > trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
                  > name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
                  > about 60).
                  >
                  > Howard
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
                  > > The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
                  > > right". I was really coming home.

                  *******************

                  Howard,

                  Hold up there hepcat. Mostly I'm a lurker here, but couldn't let that
                  one go. I'm substantially under 60, recently turned 39 (again), and I
                  certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown. Of course, I played
                  trumpet for a few years. Right now I'm listening to a random selection
                  of: Glenn Miller; Miles Davis; Benny Goodman; Cab Calloway; Duke
                  Ellington. This kind of music keeps me hopping while I work on the
                  boat we're currently building.

                  Cheers,
                  David Graybeal
                  Portland, OR.

                  "You know what I miss about the good old days? I wasn't so good & I
                  wasn't so old" - Groucho Marx
                • pvanderwaart
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                    > I certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown.

                    Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
                    courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
                    his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
                    the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
                    that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
                    brush).

                    So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.

                    Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
                    German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.

                    Peter
                  • David
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y wrote:>

                      > Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
                      > courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
                      > his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
                      > the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
                      > that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
                      > brush).
                      >
                      > So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.
                      >
                      > Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
                      > German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.
                      >
                      > Peter

                      ***************

                      Ah, yes, but... are you under 60 - as I suspect?
                    • Bryant Owen
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                        Being partly Welsh, as my dad had it, means you HAVE to sing, doesn't
                        necessarily means that you're good at it <g>.

                        Hey, I'm not 60 (yet). My mom was a real bobbysockser, had tons of
                        Frank's records - and lots of Big Band stuff too. Some of us Baby
                        Boomers had lots of opportunities to listen to this stuff, just like
                        my kids had to hear all that sixties crap I played.

                        Bryant OWEN (probably a distant relation to George Owen, NA)