Re: Birdwatcher II - others being built?

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bob Larkin <boblark@p...> wrote:
      > This is an interesting question. I have given it some thought, and
      plan to
      > go with Bolger's design of 1/4" and 1/8" (actually 3 mm) outer and
      inner,
      > along with 1 inch foam. Let me put down my understanding of
      composite
      > walls, and see if I have it close to right (I would also like to
      run this
      > past David Lipsey and understand his choices).

      Hi Bob,

      I would just like to say that all you spoke of is probably correct
      and I know David would agree. His decisions were based on available
      materials and limited resources and he is in no way endorsing them
      for others. He estimates that the boat will be about 40 lb heavier
      and have 25% less floatation in the hull. Of course BWI has no hull
      floatation except in the ends so that can be easily made up for. And
      the end weight will also depend on how much glass is added. If I was
      to use 3/8" MDO I would only glass below the waterline. If I used
      1/4" I would glass the entire exterior. The weight would probably end
      up the same. Of course it also depends on what kind of plywood one
      uses.

      3/4' foam and 1X lumber (which is only 3/4" thick) are both far
      cheaper than the 1" thickness items. David bought his at Home Despot.

      I am not certain if the hull is a TRUE ply/foam/ply sandwich
      construction as the foam is not laminated to the plywood. Or is it? I
      am not sure if it is meant to be a structural component. Of course
      the doubled ply is really strong by itself - even without the foam!

      A great asset of the design is it's 6" draft and low momemntum which
      means it will pass right over most obstructions or just bounce off
      with nary more than a scratch. All blows will be glancing with the
      exception of the bottom and chimes and these are easily reinforced
      with extra glass taping, or even a sacrificial skid.

      How about UMHD strakes like Bruce used on Rose?

      Perhaps Bruce can share with us how these were attached?

      I am really curious about the slot closure system. Can you elaborate
      on that?

      Happy 2005, Nels
    • Bob Larkin
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
        On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 Jim Clements wrote:

        >I'm about to take the plunge to build the Amhearst Galley with is a longer
        >version of the Birdwatcher for 8 rowers. Good luck with yours. I hope
        >I'm not getting in over my head.

        Hi Jim - sounds like a fine project! I talked to my wife about adding a
        second set of oar ports in BW-2, but I didn't detect much interest!!

        Bob
      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
          This one has been perking around in my thoughts for quite a while, as I
          am feeling particularly maudlin this fine New Years morning I will try
          and get it down coherently.

          In early September last year I returned from a years National Guard
          mobilization. I had stopped the emails from my various Yahoo groups when
          I was mobilized. While going through demobilization at Ft McCoy
          Wisconsin I was able to get on line and I thought --what the heck-- I
          will reactivate my Yahoo accounts. I got emails started again from all
          of them and then started to read back the last few days of messages on
          the Bolger list. There you all were-- Peter L, the Bruce H's, David R
          and Sue F with the plans still not finished for the I -60 , many other
          familiar names, just like no time had passed at all. It was a tremendous
          emotional impact, I was back in a part of the world I had been
          completely separated from.

          A friend caught me furtively wiping my eyes and asked me what was wrong.
          The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very right". I
          was really coming home.

          This group has always been a little different from other groups that I
          belong to, lots of adjective's come to mind, helpful, humorous,
          knowlegable, I have had a hard time pinning this one down. Mostly you
          are just human the way we want humans to be, all the positive stuff none
          of the negative. You are the people I would want as neighbors.

          So have a happy Bolger new year, may your tools be sharp and your
          plywood void less.

          Harry James from Juneau where the Taku is blowing, the weak winter sun
          is shining and the shop is warm and full of wood.
        • Philip Smith
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
            You think we're great? I hope you get a chance to meet
            Phil and Susanne! They are some of the nicest and
            smartest people it will ever be your pleasure to meet.
            Not to mention creative, atistic, funny, considerate,
            insightful and more, much more.

            Welcome back, Happy New Year, and best of luck.

            Phil Smith
          • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
              What does Bolger recommend using for the foam? I gave some thought to
              plywood/foam composite construction a few years ago when I tried building a
              Brick with composite sides (I made some errors and finally threw my hands up
              in disgust and scrapped it). For my use I figured insulation foam sheets
              would work fine, but for something more ambitious I wondered if they had
              enough strength. When stressed would the foam fail internally? Would
              repeated stresses cause cumulative damage until you just had foam dust
              between the sheets of plywood? Perhaps I was being overly pessimistic...

              On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:10:44 -0800, Bob L wrote:
              > This also assumes that the foam does not fail by being squished. I think
              > this may be a reasonable assumption. The foam is not resistant to a sharp
              > object, but if the load is distributed over a large area, as the walls
              tend
              > to do, it becomes difficult to compress.

              John <jkohnen@...>
              http://www.boat-links.com/
              It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!
              <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
            • Nels
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, jhkohnen@b... wrote:
                > What does Bolger recommend using for the foam?

                If you check the links on this site there is a folder giving a list
                of materials for BWII, including the brand name of the foam.

                If you Google you will find there are some very impressive home-
                building insulation foams. Limited only by your pocket book. Some
                have instructions on the net showing which adhesives to use and the
                type of strapping. To me these foams will stand up to boat use and
                are well in keeping with Bolger boxes.

                Cheers, Nels
              • Philip Smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                  When choosing a foam you should also consider any
                  toxic fumes it might give off if it and your boat
                  happen to catch fire. Different foams have very
                  different levels of toxicity.

                  You may want to give yourself a chance to drown before
                  you die from poisoning.

                  Phil Smith
                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Philip Smith <pbs@w...> wrote:
                    > When choosing a foam you should also consider any
                    > toxic fumes it might give off if it and your boat
                    > happen to catch fire.

                    Hmmmmm.....seems to me that if your boat is on FIRE(yikes!) you've
                    really got your hands full and your world is not made better with
                    the presence of less toxic elements either within the hull materials
                    and your boats contents :-0
                    However, some plastics do off-gas for many,many months and this may
                    be more delitrious to ones health in the long run......I think :-)

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan
                  • Bob Larkin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                      Nels wrote:
                      >I am not certain if the hull is a TRUE ply/foam/ply sandwich
                      >construction as the foam is not laminated to the plywood. Or is it? I
                      >am not sure if it is meant to be a structural component. Of course
                      >the doubled ply is really strong by itself - even without the foam!

                      The installation of the foam presents several interesting issues. I have
                      not seen Bolger address them specifically, but it strikes me as most
                      desirable to make the foam and plywood into a sandwich, with strong
                      adhesive. Structurally, this increases the strength for forces pulling from
                      the outside, that may occur when the boat is heeled. Also important, is to
                      prevent voids that can collect water. I was planning to use some 2-part
                      expanding foam in small left-over volumes around the foam sheets.

                      I have used the expanding foam before, and I remember problems in
                      controlling the stuff! It sometimes didn't want to go where you wanted,
                      and other times wanted to sneak out through cracks. I want to have all the
                      expanding foam in place before putting the inner plywood on. This allows
                      cleanup and redo of missed areas. The expanding foam I used also required
                      good ventilation! Maybe they have better products now, as this was 15
                      years ago.

                      John K., I plan to do some small test panels with the foam sandwich. I can
                      drop off a sample for you to play with if you want? This will probably be
                      early Feb. You will probably think of good ways to torture the stuff.

                      >If I was
                      >to use 3/8" MDO I would only glass below the waterline. If I used
                      >1/4" I would glass the entire exterior. The weight would probably end
                      >up the same. Of course it also depends on what kind of plywood one
                      >uses.

                      Nels, on the build up for the sides, I now understand the constraints that
                      David was working with! Thanks. I agree on the use of glass for the 1/4"
                      plywood, but it probably could be thinner than the bottom.

                      >A great asset of the design is it's 6" draft and low momemntum which
                      >means it will pass right over most obstructions or just bounce off
                      >with nary more than a scratch. All blows will be glancing with the
                      >exception of the bottom and chimes and these are easily reinforced
                      >with extra glass taping, or even a sacrificial skid.
                      >
                      >How about UMHD strakes like Bruce used on Rose?

                      Yes, and it sounds like another good area to learn more about. I have used
                      it for small sliding parts---but why not the boat. BTW, I plan to take the
                      boat all the way to the water on the trailer ;-)

                      I am really curious about the slot closure system. Can you elaborate
                      on that?

                      Bolger does not overburden us with details for the hard hatches. Made up in
                      four overlapping sections, they are again fabricated from a sandwich of
                      1-inch foam with 3mm plywood top and bottom. The aft section has a 32-inch
                      cover that hinges forward. They sit just high enough over the
                      standing-room comings to allow drainage between sections. There are no
                      suggestions for stowage. As drawn, they are too long to fit in the forward
                      compartment.

                      These hatches are somewhat large, typically 2x4 feet. I will try to report
                      later on their apparent ability to bear weight. Again this is the sandwich
                      question. They also are easy to modify/replace, if needed.

                      My present plan is to build this type of hatch for the forward and aft
                      compartments and start out with a minimal soft cover for the middle (plus a
                      middle tent for camping). I'm still looking for proper latches.

                      Many thanks to all for the fine comments!

                      Bob
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                        > >How about UMHD strakes like Bruce used on Rose?
                        >
                        > Yes, and it sounds like another good area to learn more about. I have used
                        > it for small sliding parts---but why not the boat. BTW, I plan to take the
                        > boat all the way to the water on the trailer ;-)

                        <grin> Having UHMW skid strips on the boat was also useful when
                        pushing/pulling the boat around in my shop and driveway during
                        construction. It makes sense to reinforce the 'points of contact'
                        of the hull, the center bottom of the fin keel, and the center
                        edges of the chines.
                      • Howard Stephenson
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                          A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
                          trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
                          name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
                          about 60).

                          Howard

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                            My very first memory was going into the hospital at the age of four to
                            get my tonsils out and the nurse asking me "where's your trumpet Harry".
                            I have heard it one or two times since.

                            For the record I play Saxophone and 5 string Banjo, and because I am
                            partly Welsh, I have to sing.

                            HJ

                            Howard Stephenson wrote:

                            >A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
                            >trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
                            >name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
                            >about 60).
                            >
                            >Howard
                            >
                            >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
                            >

                            >>The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
                            >>right". I was really coming home.
                            >>

                            >Bolger rules!!!
                            >Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >

                            >.

                          • David
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@a...>
                              wrote:

                              > A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
                              > trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
                              > name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
                              > about 60).
                              >
                              > Howard
                              >
                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
                              > > The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
                              > > right". I was really coming home.

                              *******************

                              Howard,

                              Hold up there hepcat. Mostly I'm a lurker here, but couldn't let that
                              one go. I'm substantially under 60, recently turned 39 (again), and I
                              certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown. Of course, I played
                              trumpet for a few years. Right now I'm listening to a random selection
                              of: Glenn Miller; Miles Davis; Benny Goodman; Cab Calloway; Duke
                              Ellington. This kind of music keeps me hopping while I work on the
                              boat we're currently building.

                              Cheers,
                              David Graybeal
                              Portland, OR.

                              "You know what I miss about the good old days? I wasn't so good & I
                              wasn't so old" - Groucho Marx
                            • pvanderwaart
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                > I certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown.

                                Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
                                courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
                                his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
                                the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
                                that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
                                brush).

                                So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.

                                Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
                                German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.

                                Peter
                              • David
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y wrote:>

                                  > Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
                                  > courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
                                  > his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
                                  > the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
                                  > that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
                                  > brush).
                                  >
                                  > So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.
                                  >
                                  > Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
                                  > German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.
                                  >
                                  > Peter

                                  ***************

                                  Ah, yes, but... are you under 60 - as I suspect?
                                • Bryant Owen
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                    Being partly Welsh, as my dad had it, means you HAVE to sing, doesn't
                                    necessarily means that you're good at it <g>.

                                    Hey, I'm not 60 (yet). My mom was a real bobbysockser, had tons of
                                    Frank's records - and lots of Big Band stuff too. Some of us Baby
                                    Boomers had lots of opportunities to listen to this stuff, just like
                                    my kids had to hear all that sixties crap I played.

                                    Bryant OWEN (probably a distant relation to George Owen, NA)