Birdwatcher II - others being built?

  • Bob Larkin
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 31, 2004
      I have 21 sheets of various kinds of plywood, plus misc. wood on its way to
      me. I think that means I've started the BW-2! I'm in Western Oregon and
      will do the major assembly in my driveway. My basement has the woodworking
      tools now, but no really long space. This means I need to try to have
      frames and other smaller assemblies ready when the weather warms up a
      bit. Time will tell how this goes!

      Is anyone else building a BW or BW-2? I'd enjoy sharing experiences with
      others. I'm also sure I will need to call upon the collected wisdom of
      this group from time to time!!

      Bob Larkin
      Corvallis, OR
    • jamesclementsiii@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 31, 2004
        I'm about to take the plunge to build the Amhearst Galley with is a longer version of the Birdwatcher for 8 rowers. Good luck with yours. I hope I'm not getting in over my head.

        Jim Clements

        Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

      • Nels
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 31, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bob Larkin <boblark@p...> wrote:
          > I have 21 sheets of various kinds of plywood, plus misc. wood on
          its way to
          > me. I think that means I've started the BW-2!

          Hi Bob,

          Good for you! You have made a great choice. There is one being built
          in TN I believe.

          The fellow's name is David Lipsey. I will forward his e-mail to you
          off-list and I am certain he would love to hear from you. He sounds
          like a real pirate as he has at least two other boats in various
          stages of completion.

          I believe he has changed the scantlings somewhat because of the
          available materials. He is using 3/8" for the outer layer, 3/4"
          longitudinals and foam thickness and 1/4" linings. That sounds
          excellent to me actually.

          Tell him I referred you to him, and then update us on his building
          status. He is hoping to launch soon from what I last heard.

          Happy New Year, Nels

          > From: "David Thomasson" <David.Thomasson@...>
          > Date: 2004/11/29 Mon AM 09:15:02 EST
          > To: <saillips@...>
        • Bob Larkin
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
            --- In
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message//group/bolger/post?postID=r6zJpKzH9fTObSDbSfOpuPHJO4DWtXGEyYpkGGno3lSIVLWR8ShNO6ScJw-6M5AlIT8KmpC-Be9DS6M56LSSqTk>bolger@yahoogroups.com,
            "Nels"
            <<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message//group/bolger/post?postID=9_Go02GuNDvzvgm1ONUd_U0ZEx8HYPaJaNGERdi6_rVYmQ_hvfwMZnOgUix0TOCxFi5-haJ5Vy0XqwA>arvent@h...>
            wrote:

            >Good for you! You have made a great choice. There is one being built
            >in TN I believe.
            >
            >The fellow's name is David Lipsey. I will forward his e-mail to you
            >off-list and I am certain he would love to hear from you. He sounds
            >like a real pirate as he has at least two other boats in various
            >stages of completion.

            Thanks Nels for the lead. I will report back about his progress, assuming I
            reach him. I have the email address that you sent--thanks.

            >I believe he has changed the scantlings somewhat because of the
            >available materials. He is using 3/8" for the outer layer, 3/4"
            >longitudinals and foam thickness and 1/4" linings. That sounds
            >excellent to me actually.

            This is an interesting question. I have given it some thought, and plan to
            go with Bolger's design of 1/4" and 1/8" (actually 3 mm) outer and inner,
            along with 1 inch foam. Let me put down my understanding of composite
            walls, and see if I have it close to right (I would also like to run this
            past David Lipsey and understand his choices).

            When the side is hit by water, the outer wall will want to bend in. As this
            happens, the inner wall comes under tension, where it is strong. This inner
            wall is important in preventing inward deflection.

            The outer wall also plays a role in that it does have strength in
            compression. If both walls are increased in thickness by 1.5, the strength
            of the boat side is also increase by 1.5.

            The overall resistance to bending of the side is strongly dependent on the
            foam thickness, going as the square of this. So 1" foam produces a wall
            approaching twice the strength of 3/4". This assumes the inner wall won't
            fail in tension, which would be interesting to study!

            Thus, the Bolger construction would be stronger by 4/3 squared times 1/1.5
            or about 18 percent.

            This also assumes that the foam does not fail by being squished. I think
            this may be a reasonable assumption. The foam is not resistant to a sharp
            object, but if the load is distributed over a large area, as the walls tend
            to do, it becomes difficult to compress.

            In fact, the whole side, especially with the 1/4" outer wall, can be
            destroyed by a concentrated load, like an errant log. Part of the defense
            is the sharpie shape and the hope of taking this impact almost all edgewise
            on the bottom. Or avoiding the log!

            The other side of the equation is weight, and the BW concept wants to
            concentrate the weight in the bottom and the movable objects like
            people. The lighter the sides, the better. This pushes for thin walls, as
            does the cost of wood.

            Are there any composite structure designers to keep this straight? I'm an
            amateur at this stuff, with a couple of old books.

            And Happy 2005 to All!

            Bob
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bob Larkin <boblark@p...> wrote:
              > This is an interesting question. I have given it some thought, and
              plan to
              > go with Bolger's design of 1/4" and 1/8" (actually 3 mm) outer and
              inner,
              > along with 1 inch foam. Let me put down my understanding of
              composite
              > walls, and see if I have it close to right (I would also like to
              run this
              > past David Lipsey and understand his choices).

              Hi Bob,

              I would just like to say that all you spoke of is probably correct
              and I know David would agree. His decisions were based on available
              materials and limited resources and he is in no way endorsing them
              for others. He estimates that the boat will be about 40 lb heavier
              and have 25% less floatation in the hull. Of course BWI has no hull
              floatation except in the ends so that can be easily made up for. And
              the end weight will also depend on how much glass is added. If I was
              to use 3/8" MDO I would only glass below the waterline. If I used
              1/4" I would glass the entire exterior. The weight would probably end
              up the same. Of course it also depends on what kind of plywood one
              uses.

              3/4' foam and 1X lumber (which is only 3/4" thick) are both far
              cheaper than the 1" thickness items. David bought his at Home Despot.

              I am not certain if the hull is a TRUE ply/foam/ply sandwich
              construction as the foam is not laminated to the plywood. Or is it? I
              am not sure if it is meant to be a structural component. Of course
              the doubled ply is really strong by itself - even without the foam!

              A great asset of the design is it's 6" draft and low momemntum which
              means it will pass right over most obstructions or just bounce off
              with nary more than a scratch. All blows will be glancing with the
              exception of the bottom and chimes and these are easily reinforced
              with extra glass taping, or even a sacrificial skid.

              How about UMHD strakes like Bruce used on Rose?

              Perhaps Bruce can share with us how these were attached?

              I am really curious about the slot closure system. Can you elaborate
              on that?

              Happy 2005, Nels
            • Bob Larkin
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 Jim Clements wrote:

                >I'm about to take the plunge to build the Amhearst Galley with is a longer
                >version of the Birdwatcher for 8 rowers. Good luck with yours. I hope
                >I'm not getting in over my head.

                Hi Jim - sounds like a fine project! I talked to my wife about adding a
                second set of oar ports in BW-2, but I didn't detect much interest!!

                Bob
              • Harry James
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                  This one has been perking around in my thoughts for quite a while, as I
                  am feeling particularly maudlin this fine New Years morning I will try
                  and get it down coherently.

                  In early September last year I returned from a years National Guard
                  mobilization. I had stopped the emails from my various Yahoo groups when
                  I was mobilized. While going through demobilization at Ft McCoy
                  Wisconsin I was able to get on line and I thought --what the heck-- I
                  will reactivate my Yahoo accounts. I got emails started again from all
                  of them and then started to read back the last few days of messages on
                  the Bolger list. There you all were-- Peter L, the Bruce H's, David R
                  and Sue F with the plans still not finished for the I -60 , many other
                  familiar names, just like no time had passed at all. It was a tremendous
                  emotional impact, I was back in a part of the world I had been
                  completely separated from.

                  A friend caught me furtively wiping my eyes and asked me what was wrong.
                  The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very right". I
                  was really coming home.

                  This group has always been a little different from other groups that I
                  belong to, lots of adjective's come to mind, helpful, humorous,
                  knowlegable, I have had a hard time pinning this one down. Mostly you
                  are just human the way we want humans to be, all the positive stuff none
                  of the negative. You are the people I would want as neighbors.

                  So have a happy Bolger new year, may your tools be sharp and your
                  plywood void less.

                  Harry James from Juneau where the Taku is blowing, the weak winter sun
                  is shining and the shop is warm and full of wood.
                • Philip Smith
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                    You think we're great? I hope you get a chance to meet
                    Phil and Susanne! They are some of the nicest and
                    smartest people it will ever be your pleasure to meet.
                    Not to mention creative, atistic, funny, considerate,
                    insightful and more, much more.

                    Welcome back, Happy New Year, and best of luck.

                    Phil Smith
                  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                      What does Bolger recommend using for the foam? I gave some thought to
                      plywood/foam composite construction a few years ago when I tried building a
                      Brick with composite sides (I made some errors and finally threw my hands up
                      in disgust and scrapped it). For my use I figured insulation foam sheets
                      would work fine, but for something more ambitious I wondered if they had
                      enough strength. When stressed would the foam fail internally? Would
                      repeated stresses cause cumulative damage until you just had foam dust
                      between the sheets of plywood? Perhaps I was being overly pessimistic...

                      On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:10:44 -0800, Bob L wrote:
                      > This also assumes that the foam does not fail by being squished. I think
                      > this may be a reasonable assumption. The foam is not resistant to a sharp
                      > object, but if the load is distributed over a large area, as the walls
                      tend
                      > to do, it becomes difficult to compress.

                      John <jkohnen@...>
                      http://www.boat-links.com/
                      It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!
                      <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
                    • Nels
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, jhkohnen@b... wrote:
                        > What does Bolger recommend using for the foam?

                        If you check the links on this site there is a folder giving a list
                        of materials for BWII, including the brand name of the foam.

                        If you Google you will find there are some very impressive home-
                        building insulation foams. Limited only by your pocket book. Some
                        have instructions on the net showing which adhesives to use and the
                        type of strapping. To me these foams will stand up to boat use and
                        are well in keeping with Bolger boxes.

                        Cheers, Nels
                      • Philip Smith
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                          When choosing a foam you should also consider any
                          toxic fumes it might give off if it and your boat
                          happen to catch fire. Different foams have very
                          different levels of toxicity.

                          You may want to give yourself a chance to drown before
                          you die from poisoning.

                          Phil Smith
                        • Peter Lenihan
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Philip Smith <pbs@w...> wrote:
                            > When choosing a foam you should also consider any
                            > toxic fumes it might give off if it and your boat
                            > happen to catch fire.

                            Hmmmmm.....seems to me that if your boat is on FIRE(yikes!) you've
                            really got your hands full and your world is not made better with
                            the presence of less toxic elements either within the hull materials
                            and your boats contents :-0
                            However, some plastics do off-gas for many,many months and this may
                            be more delitrious to ones health in the long run......I think :-)

                            Sincerely,

                            Peter Lenihan
                          • Bob Larkin
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
                              Nels wrote:
                              >I am not certain if the hull is a TRUE ply/foam/ply sandwich
                              >construction as the foam is not laminated to the plywood. Or is it? I
                              >am not sure if it is meant to be a structural component. Of course
                              >the doubled ply is really strong by itself - even without the foam!

                              The installation of the foam presents several interesting issues. I have
                              not seen Bolger address them specifically, but it strikes me as most
                              desirable to make the foam and plywood into a sandwich, with strong
                              adhesive. Structurally, this increases the strength for forces pulling from
                              the outside, that may occur when the boat is heeled. Also important, is to
                              prevent voids that can collect water. I was planning to use some 2-part
                              expanding foam in small left-over volumes around the foam sheets.

                              I have used the expanding foam before, and I remember problems in
                              controlling the stuff! It sometimes didn't want to go where you wanted,
                              and other times wanted to sneak out through cracks. I want to have all the
                              expanding foam in place before putting the inner plywood on. This allows
                              cleanup and redo of missed areas. The expanding foam I used also required
                              good ventilation! Maybe they have better products now, as this was 15
                              years ago.

                              John K., I plan to do some small test panels with the foam sandwich. I can
                              drop off a sample for you to play with if you want? This will probably be
                              early Feb. You will probably think of good ways to torture the stuff.

                              >If I was
                              >to use 3/8" MDO I would only glass below the waterline. If I used
                              >1/4" I would glass the entire exterior. The weight would probably end
                              >up the same. Of course it also depends on what kind of plywood one
                              >uses.

                              Nels, on the build up for the sides, I now understand the constraints that
                              David was working with! Thanks. I agree on the use of glass for the 1/4"
                              plywood, but it probably could be thinner than the bottom.

                              >A great asset of the design is it's 6" draft and low momemntum which
                              >means it will pass right over most obstructions or just bounce off
                              >with nary more than a scratch. All blows will be glancing with the
                              >exception of the bottom and chimes and these are easily reinforced
                              >with extra glass taping, or even a sacrificial skid.
                              >
                              >How about UMHD strakes like Bruce used on Rose?

                              Yes, and it sounds like another good area to learn more about. I have used
                              it for small sliding parts---but why not the boat. BTW, I plan to take the
                              boat all the way to the water on the trailer ;-)

                              I am really curious about the slot closure system. Can you elaborate
                              on that?

                              Bolger does not overburden us with details for the hard hatches. Made up in
                              four overlapping sections, they are again fabricated from a sandwich of
                              1-inch foam with 3mm plywood top and bottom. The aft section has a 32-inch
                              cover that hinges forward. They sit just high enough over the
                              standing-room comings to allow drainage between sections. There are no
                              suggestions for stowage. As drawn, they are too long to fit in the forward
                              compartment.

                              These hatches are somewhat large, typically 2x4 feet. I will try to report
                              later on their apparent ability to bear weight. Again this is the sandwich
                              question. They also are easy to modify/replace, if needed.

                              My present plan is to build this type of hatch for the forward and aft
                              compartments and start out with a minimal soft cover for the middle (plus a
                              middle tent for camping). I'm still looking for proper latches.

                              Many thanks to all for the fine comments!

                              Bob
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                > >How about UMHD strakes like Bruce used on Rose?
                                >
                                > Yes, and it sounds like another good area to learn more about. I have used
                                > it for small sliding parts---but why not the boat. BTW, I plan to take the
                                > boat all the way to the water on the trailer ;-)

                                <grin> Having UHMW skid strips on the boat was also useful when
                                pushing/pulling the boat around in my shop and driveway during
                                construction. It makes sense to reinforce the 'points of contact'
                                of the hull, the center bottom of the fin keel, and the center
                                edges of the chines.
                              • Howard Stephenson
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                  A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
                                  trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
                                  name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
                                  about 60).

                                  Howard

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                    My very first memory was going into the hospital at the age of four to
                                    get my tonsils out and the nurse asking me "where's your trumpet Harry".
                                    I have heard it one or two times since.

                                    For the record I play Saxophone and 5 string Banjo, and because I am
                                    partly Welsh, I have to sing.

                                    HJ

                                    Howard Stephenson wrote:

                                    >A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
                                    >trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
                                    >name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
                                    >about 60).
                                    >
                                    >Howard
                                    >
                                    >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
                                    >

                                    >>The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
                                    >>right". I was really coming home.
                                    >>

                                    >Bolger rules!!!
                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    >

                                    >.

                                  • David
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@a...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > A nice tribute to this group, Harry. But do you still keep up the
                                      > trumpet playing? One of my model yacht racing friends goes by the
                                      > name of Les Brown. (The above will be a mystery to most people under
                                      > about 60).
                                      >
                                      > Howard
                                      >
                                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James
                                      > > The answer was "absolutely nothing is wrong, things are very
                                      > > right". I was really coming home.

                                      *******************

                                      Howard,

                                      Hold up there hepcat. Mostly I'm a lurker here, but couldn't let that
                                      one go. I'm substantially under 60, recently turned 39 (again), and I
                                      certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown. Of course, I played
                                      trumpet for a few years. Right now I'm listening to a random selection
                                      of: Glenn Miller; Miles Davis; Benny Goodman; Cab Calloway; Duke
                                      Ellington. This kind of music keeps me hopping while I work on the
                                      boat we're currently building.

                                      Cheers,
                                      David Graybeal
                                      Portland, OR.

                                      "You know what I miss about the good old days? I wasn't so good & I
                                      wasn't so old" - Groucho Marx
                                    • pvanderwaart
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                        > I certainly know Les Brown & his band of reknown.

                                        Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
                                        courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
                                        his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
                                        the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
                                        that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
                                        brush).

                                        So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.

                                        Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
                                        German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.

                                        Peter
                                      • David
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y wrote:>

                                          > Once upon a time, circa 1970, I was in an East Asian Republic,
                                          > courtesy of Uncle Sam, serving as bandsman for the US Army. As was
                                          > his habit, fellow name of Bob Hope brought a song and humor show into
                                          > the field. It fell to us to play for the audience for the few hours
                                          > that it took to get several thousand troops in from the jungle (well,
                                          > brush).
                                          >
                                          > So, I saw Les Brown, as well as his band of reknown, in person.
                                          >
                                          > Also, Neil Armstrong, Theresa Brewer, Connie Stevens, and a lovely
                                          > German (or possibly Austrian) Miss World.
                                          >
                                          > Peter

                                          ***************

                                          Ah, yes, but... are you under 60 - as I suspect?
                                        • Bryant Owen
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
                                            Being partly Welsh, as my dad had it, means you HAVE to sing, doesn't
                                            necessarily means that you're good at it <g>.

                                            Hey, I'm not 60 (yet). My mom was a real bobbysockser, had tons of
                                            Frank's records - and lots of Big Band stuff too. Some of us Baby
                                            Boomers had lots of opportunities to listen to this stuff, just like
                                            my kids had to hear all that sixties crap I played.

                                            Bryant OWEN (probably a distant relation to George Owen, NA)