Re: [bolger] black skimmer plans

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
      > I am still not sure, but now I can get a better picture
      > of what the cabin volume is like...not much.

      While it has only 'sitting height', the Black Skimmer
      cabin seems pretty big to me! Tons of storage below
      the cockpit seats too. Nice double berth too.

      http://hallman.org/bolger/BlackSkimmer/photo6.gif
    • dbaldnz
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
        > > I am still not sure, but now I can get a better picture
        > > of what the cabin volume is like...not much.
        >
        > While it has only 'sitting height', the Black Skimmer
        > cabin seems pretty big to me! Tons of storage below
        > the cockpit seats too. Nice double berth too.
        >
        > http://hallman.org/bolger/BlackSkimmer/photo6.gif

        I have sat in one. I would describe it as snug but roomy if that makes
        sense. In no way unpleasant, and this was a centreboard version.
        The cockpit is loooooong.
        DonB
      • Michael Kline
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
          Don,

          Is there a design variant with a centerboard or was this a "one-off"?

          Mike
          > > I am still not sure, but now I can get a better picture
          > > of what the cabin volume is like...not much.
          >
          > While it has only 'sitting height', the Black Skimmer
          > cabin seems pretty big to me! Tons of storage below
          > the cockpit seats too. Nice double berth too.
          >
          > http://hallman.org/bolger/BlackSkimmer/photo6.gif<http://hallman.org/bolger/BlackSkimmer/photo6.gif>

          I have sat in one. I would describe it as snug but roomy if that makes
          sense. In no way unpleasant, and this was a centreboard version.
          The cockpit is loooooong.
          DonB

          Bolger rules!!!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296d7s2i/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1104515024/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
            I stumbled across this photo of Col. H.G. Hassler
            in on old Small Boat Journal magazine.

            His head is popping up from the hatch.
            That boat has some similar qualities to a
            submarine.

            http://hallman.org/jester.jpg
          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
              Chas Andrews Black Skimmer at

              http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/bskimmer.htm

              uses concrete for the ballast, I would like to know more about that if
              anybody has seen it.

              Black Skimmer on my short list of boats, one of which I plan to start
              next fall.

              HJ

              Joe Nelson wrote:

              >I ordered the BS plans from Payson...what a bargain! When I ordered
              >I was thinking that it was just to verify that the BS was not going
              >to meet my needs...since I like the lines of her so much I had to
              >make sure. I am still not sure, but now I can get a better picture
              >of what the cabin volume is like...not much.
              >
              >The center plates talked about are for ballast and are layed down
              >horizontally in the bilge amidship...not as a centerboard. Sounds
              >like someone from Oz modified for a centerboard but there is not much
              >room in the cabin as it is.
              >
              >It is going to be about 6 months or longer until I can get started.
              >I am still working on a Core Sound 20 and my wife wants a stripper
              >canoe. I will grant her wish as it is smart to keep the wives
              >interested in boating.
              >
              >Anyone know of a BS in the NW USA that I could see?
              >

              >Bolger rules!!!
              >Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >.

            • dbaldnz
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
                Michael, it was a one-off. Sadly the boat was sold and gone somewhere
                else, and I can't take photos anymore.
                But the board case was about a third into the cabin from memory, and
                two-thirds under the 'bridge' and cockpit. There was a small winch on
                top of the bridge just outside the cockpit. And a later owner said she
                sailed really well, I think much better to windward with the c'board.
                DonB

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Kline" <kura1in2@m...> wrote:
                > Don,
                >
                > Is there a design variant with a centerboard or was this a "one-off"?
                >
                > Mike

                Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

              • dbaldnz
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
                  A thought Michael, if you are very keen let me know, I can get the
                  email address of the 2nd owner I talked to, and you could go to him
                  directly. He is a very experienced sailor and Bolger builder,
                  DonB

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
                    I would like that info also

                    HJ