Bolger trailer method

  • bifino
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2004
      Can someone give me the url for the article where Mr Bolger described
      how he uses a small car to handle launching/recovering boats, please.

      Dave
    • Derek Waters
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2004
        Hi Dave
        No URL that I can think of. The piece was an article in MAIB, a printed
        magazine. Back issues are available. The gist of it was to retrofit the
        trailer tongue jack with a big wheel and send the trailer up and down the
        ramp on the end of a winch line , keeping the car at the top of the ramp,
        dry. They mounted an electric winch on a piece of stout timber, and chained
        that to solid frame points or towing loops at the front of the car when
        actually launching or retrieving.
        cheers
        Derek
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Derek Waters" <dgw@d...> wrote:
          > Hi Dave
          >They mounted an electric winch on a piece of stout timber, and
          chained
          > that to solid frame points or towing loops at the front of the car
          when
          > actually launching or retrieving.
          > cheers
          > Derek

          They also give a brief description at the end of this article:

          http://tinyurl.com/53f25

          The article is in the Bolger files in the Topaz folder.

          You don't have to use an electic winch. I use a manual one that cost
          about $70 Cdn including 50 feet of cable. You mount it on a hitch
          extension that you hook into your vehicle hitch. Make sure the
          extension is long enough to allow you to rotate the winch handle. I
          will post a photo of mine as soon as I get my scanner working.

          Cheers, Nels