Bolger "Bee"

  • John Spoering
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
      Hi All -

      I know it's an old design but, does anyone have any experience or opinion on PCB's "BEE" design. Does she make a good dingy ? Can she be rowed easily or is there just too much beam ? I find my "Nymph" is very tippy - hard to get in & out of when in the water and am looking for a dink design with some more stability......
      Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale

      John Spoering
      spoering@...
      Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
        > ...does anyone have any experience or opinion on
        > PCB's "BEE" design. Does she make a good dingy ?
        > John Spoering

        I was experiment with BEE in Gregg Carlson's Hulls
        program, and see that the freeboard under a load of
        two guys and a wet dog [500lbs] is only a few inches
        from flooding. The stepwater makes this boat a
        one person on-plane runabout, not a load hauling
        dingy.

        It somewhat depends on what you want a dingy to be,
        if you want capacity, maybe a Tortoise would work better, IMO.
      • Howard Stephenson
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
          The following is taken mainly from Bernie Wolfard's Bolger catalogue.
          The information there would have come "straight from the horse's
          mouth".
          -- It has about 365lb of displacement (my calculation) to what
          appears to be Bolger's full-load line.
          -- Prototype weighed 75 lb -- without motor, I'd guess -- giving a
          load capacity of 300 lb including motor, fuel, anchor, crew, oars
          etc. i.e not a great load-carrier, as Bruce indicates
          -- Will do maybe 20 kt with a 6 hp long-shaft o/b
          -- Rows no worse than other boats her size
          -- Plan shows oars and rowlocks
          -- Turns well at high speed
          -- "a great way to practice the somewhat unusual step sharpie
          building procedure before tackling a second-generation [design] like
          the Microtrawler".

          That last point is a reminder that this is exactly why the first one
          was designed and built -- as a proof-of-concept.

          Howard

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
            > The following is taken mainly from Bernie Wolfard's Bolger catalogue.
            > Howard

            http://hallman.org/bolger/381/bee.gif

            shows a copy of Bernie Wolfard's photo of Bee,
            with the added black line indicating the 500 lbs
            waterline calculated with Gregg Carlson's Hulls program.

            http://hallman.org/bolger/381/bee.hul

            is a pointer to the 'hul' file of Bee which I created.
          • dbaldnz
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
              I was intending a Bee for a tender. Bolger suggested I made the sides
              several inches higher, at the cost of an extra sheet of ply,
              DonB

              > > The following is taken mainly from Bernie Wolfard's Bolger catalogue.
              > > Howard
              >
              > http://hallman.org/bolger/381/bee.gif
              >
              > shows a copy of Bernie Wolfard's photo of Bee,
              > with the added black line indicating the 500 lbs
              > waterline calculated with Gregg Carlson's Hulls program.
              >
              > http://hallman.org/bolger/381/bee.hul
              >
              > is a pointer to the 'hul' file of Bee which I created.
            • Peter Anderson
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
                If stability is your concern, the Rubens Nymph is a good alternative.
                That's why I chose that over the Nymph, and it is a nice stable tender and
                can carry a good sized load. Three adults without a problem, more with not a
                lot of freeboard.
                Peter Anderson
                > I was intending a Bee for a tender. Bolger suggested I made the sides
                > several inches higher, at the cost of an extra sheet of ply,
                > DonB
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@h...> wrote:
                > > > The following is taken mainly from Bernie Wolfard's Bolger catalogue.
                > > > Howard
                > >
                > > http://hallman.org/bolger/381/bee.gif
                > >
                > > shows a copy of Bernie Wolfard's photo of Bee,
                > > with the added black line indicating the 500 lbs
                > > waterline calculated with Gregg Carlson's Hulls program.
                > >
                > > http://hallman.org/bolger/381/bee.hul
                > >
                > > is a pointer to the 'hul' file of Bee which I created.

                (978) 282-1349

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
                  > I was intending a Bee for a tender. Bolger suggested I made the sides
                  > several inches higher, at the cost of an extra sheet of ply,
                  > DonB

                  Should improve carrying capacity a lot at 'displacement speed'.

                  Here is a gif of a Bee with 3 inches added to her height.

                  http://hallman.org/bolger/381/tallbee.gif

                  and the 'hul' file.

                  http://hallman.org/bolger/381/TALLBEE.HUL
                • dbaldnz
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
                    I think Bee and Rubens Nymph are essentially very different boats, but
                    the Rubens would make a better tender.
                    Bolger also said that if towing Bee, you need to put a heavy weight in
                    the stern(I guess a flat run planing boat would want to tow flat, and
                    sooner or later would dig in and turn turtle). Well, you wouldn't be
                    too keen to leave your outboard there probably, the alternative being
                    to carry around a permanent sack of turnips,
                    DonB
                    http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Anderson" <paa@a...> wrote:
                    > If stability is your concern, the Rubens Nymph is a good alternative.
                    > That's why I chose that over the Nymph, and it is a nice stable
                    tender and
                    > can carry a good sized load. Three adults without a problem, more
                    with not a
                    > lot of freeboard.
                    > Peter Anderson

                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
                      Try Rubens Nymph made wider for just that reason. Payson sells plans.

                      HJ

                      John Spoering wrote:

                      >Hi All -
                      >
                      > I know it's an old design but, does anyone have any experience or opinion on PCB's "BEE" design. Does she make a good dingy ? Can she be rowed easily or is there just too much beam ? I find my "Nymph" is very tippy - hard to get in & out of when in the water and am looking for a dink design with some more stability......
                      > Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale
                      >

                      >John Spoering
                      >spoering@...
                      >Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

                    • Jack&Lois
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
                        Another design worth considering for your purpose might be Auray Punt.
                        Bolger did a ply wood version of this traditional Brittany coast punt. It
                        evidently tows like a charm, is super stable, has impressive capacity, and
                        handles Bay of Biscay conditions. It's also great for stepping ashore with
                        dry feet (just don't try to board from boat or dock by stepping on the bow
                        seat!) I ordered the plans from Harold Payson, who includes great step by
                        step instructions. I intend to use it as a towed tender with my Micro. I'll
                        let you know how construction goes. Check out Bolger's comments and drawings
                        in the first section of Boats With an Open Mind.

                        jeb, converting his boat shop (temporarily) to a wedding chapel, on the Yule
                        TIDE shores of Fundy
                      • Rick Bedard
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
                          Jack,

                          I built a Bee for a friend about five years ago. (I have photos somewhere). He gave up on it after a couple hours and gave it to me. I had it in the water for less than an hour when I gave up on it. Later, I cut it up and burnt the pieces...

                          I suggest you look for a different design.

                          Rick Bedard

                          John Spoering <spoering@...> wrote:
                          Hi All -

                          I know it's an old design but, does anyone have any experience or opinion on PCB's "BEE" design. Does she make a good dingy ? Can she be rowed easily or is there just too much beam ? I find my "Nymph" is very tippy - hard to get in & out of when in the water and am looking for a dink design with some more stability......
                          Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale

                          John Spoering
                          spoering@...
                          Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

                          Bolger rules!!!

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        • dbaldnz
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 9, 2004
                            Would you mind expanding a bit on reasons why Rick?
                            DonB

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@y...> wrote:
                            > Jack,
                            >
                            > I built a Bee for a friend about five years ago. (I have photos
                            somewhere). He gave up on it after a couple hours and gave it to me. I
                            had it in the water for less than an hour when I gave up on it. Later,
                            I cut it up and burnt the pieces...

                            > I suggest you look for a different design.
                            >
                            > Rick Bedard
                            >
                            > John Spoering <spoering@e...> wrote:
                            > Hi All -
                            >
                            > I know it's an old design but, does anyone have any
                            experience or opinion on PCB's "BEE" design. Does she make a good
                            dingy ? Can she be rowed easily or is there just too much beam ? I
                            find my "Nymph" is very tippy - hard to get in & out of when in the
                            water and am looking for a dink design with some more stability......

                            Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale

                            > John Spoering
                            > spoering@e...
                            > Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

                            Fax: (978) 282-1349

                            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          • Gavin Atkin
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 10, 2004
                              Bill Jaine says great things of Bolger's little Auray punt as a tender - dry,
                              stable, a great load bearer (I've seen pictures of it carrying 600lbs+ of people
                              confidently) and tows well. It comes out at ten feet, but takes just two sheets of
                              standard-sized ply.

                              Gavin
                            • chodges31711
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 10, 2004
                                Elegant punt may be a good option and it is in Instant Boats -1979

                                Charles

                                > Bill Jaine says great things of Bolger's little Auray punt as a
                                tender
                              • Pete Staehling
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 10, 2004
                                  Would the Auray be a decent sailer? Do the plans show a sail rig or
                                  is she intended for oars only.

                                  Pete
                                • Howard Stephenson
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 10, 2004
                                    There is no sailing rig shown on the plans reproduced in BWAOM. I
                                    guess it would take a small outboard motor. You could build it from
                                    the book. If you wanted something a fraction shorter (to fit on a
                                    deck somewhere) it would do no harm to cut 9" off the bow, making the
                                    tiny bow transom correspondingly slightly larger.

                                    As there are five frames and two transoms to build, it's not the
                                    simplest of instant boats, but it looks very nice, on paper at least.
                                    There are three thwarts and two rowing positions.

                                    Howard

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Staehling" <staehpj1@y...> wrote:

                                    > Would the Auray be a decent sailer? Do the plans show a sail rig or
                                    > is she intended for oars only.
                                  • Nels
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 10, 2004
                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
                                      <stephensonhw@a...> wrote:

                                      > There is no sailing rig shown on the plans reproduced in BWAOM. I
                                      > guess it would take a small outboard motor. You could build it from
                                      > the book. If you wanted something a fraction shorter (to fit on a
                                      > deck somewhere) it would do no harm to cut 9" off the bow, making
                                      the
                                      > tiny bow transom correspondingly slightly larger.
                                      >
                                      > As there are five frames and two transoms to build, it's not the
                                      > simplest of instant boats, but it looks very nice, on paper at
                                      least.
                                      > There are three thwarts and two rowing positions.
                                      >
                                      > Howard

                                      By the time a person makes all these changes and adjustments, one
                                      could have already built an Elegant Punt, that sails, motors and rows
                                      very well. Also, the fore and aft thwart seems to really work
                                      efficiently according to owners.

                                      If one is going to use a motor, maybe a "Fast Tortoise" should be
                                      considered. How is that for an oxymoronic idea?

                                      Cheers, Nels
                                    • Howard Stephenson
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 10, 2004
                                        I was suggesting just one possible change, to make it 9" shorter than
                                        the original (and Elegant Punt, which would not stand the same
                                        treatment) if necessary. But if sailing ability is wanted, it would
                                        make no sense to reinvent the wheel if you were starting from scratch.

                                        Talking of oxymorons, "fore and and aft thwart" would be a good
                                        example. Is there a correct term for it?

                                        Howard

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 11, 2004
                                          Probably the easiest dinghy to build that I have seen . The plans in the
                                          book are more than enough to build from, but the plans from Payson

                                          http://www.instantboats.com/epunt.htm

                                          are also very cheep.

                                          HJ

                                          chodges31711 wrote:

                                          >Elegant punt may be a good option and it is in Instant Boats -1979
                                          >
                                          >Charles
                                          >

                                          >>Bill Jaine says great things of Bolger's little Auray punt as a
                                          >>

                                          >tender
                                          >

                                          >Bolger rules!!!
                                          >Yahoo! Groups Links
                                          >

                                          >.

                                        • Peter Lenihan
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 11, 2004
                                            <stephensonhw@a...> wrote:
                                            >> Talking of oxymorons, "fore and and aft thwart" would be a good
                                            > example. Is there a correct term for it?

                                            yes.......bench.

                                            Sincerely,
                                            Peter Lenihan