Spring Launch !!

  • Jake Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2000
      It Finally happened! I cartopped my Light Dory around the corner to
      our creek (Beaver Dam Creek, on northern Barnegat Bay) for a quick
      christening ceremony ( my friend Tom said a few words and christened
      the boat "OLD BAY", I splashed a little Heineken on the bow)followed
      by a short row on the creek ( the wind was really honkin' and I had
      get back to the weekend "honey do" list, so it was kept short out of
      necessity). The boat was a joy to row and to build. I bought Payson's
      "How to Build the Light Dory" and went from there, modifying the
      plans
      for stitch and glue construction. The worst part was any time I had
      do alot of sanding, which was often. The good part was that the boat
      went together so fast and so easily that I always felt a sense of
      "instant gratification" or accomplishment anytime I worked on it.
      Also
      the boat is so damned pretty with that Light Dory sheer and flare
      that
      you can't help but stand back and admire! I started in the first week
      in November and had the boat assembled in the first weekend, then
      spent the winter working on finishing the boat out for a spring
      launch. My loose estimate of building expenses came to about $350.
      When winter finally hit in NJ my unheated one car garage became
      unfriendly to boatbuilding so I backed off for about 2 months until
      it
      warmed up a bit out there. I'd say total building time was about 2
      1/2
      months of weekends and a few evenings here and there, I was taking my
      time since there was no rush after all, spring doesn't usually hit
      the
      Jersey shore till mid March. Now that the boat is done I'll finish
      her
      out with bow and stern hardware so I can tie her up alongside my
      Dovekie at our dock, a bungee cord arrangement under the rowing seat
      to stow life jacket, bailer and sponge, and last but not least a rod
      holder so I can troll a line behind while I row and maybe pick up a
      weakie, striper or blue on one of my trips down behind Island Beach
      State Park.
      Faire Winds,
      Jake Millar