Sharpie Cat design

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 8, 2004
      I did some simple figuring and with the help of ply boats software
      came up with a 6'' draft on 20'' wide hulls 1,300 lb displacment for
      the 23' 6'' sharpie PB Catamaran. That leaves about an 18'' clearance
      from deck to water. How much freeboard before windage starts to play
      a major roll remember we have the cabin on top.

      Cat weighs what 600 lbs max, 400lbs for family of three 300lbs for
      gear. sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

      Todd
    • Howard Stephenson
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 8, 2004
        This would match my back-of-the-envelope-type calculation. In cu. ft.
        it's 6/12 x 20/12 x 23 x 2 (two hulls) x 0.55 (typical PC of a hull
        of this type)= 21 cu.ft. Multiply this by 64 (lb. per cu. ft. of
        seawater), you'll end up with 1281 lb.

        Alternatively, if you know the total weight, you can work out how
        deeply the hulls have to be immersed to provide the equivalent
        displacement.

        Howard

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:

        > I did some simple figuring and with the help of ply boats software
        > came up with a 6'' draft on 20'' wide hulls 1,300 lb displacment
        for
        > the 23' 6'' sharpie PB Catamaran.
      • doug6949
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 8, 2004
          Windage is always going to be a factor to consider in catamaran or
          pontoon designs. Any cabin you put on it will significantly increase
          the profile.

          18" freeboard is not much for a 23 foot cat. Your cabin profile is
          what you need to evaluate.

          Doug

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:

          > I did some simple figuring and with the help of ply boats software
          > came up with a 6'' draft on 20'' wide hulls 1,300 lb displacment for
          > the 23' 6'' sharpie PB Catamaran. That leaves about an 18'' clearance
          > from deck to water. How much freeboard before windage starts to play
          > a major roll remember we have the cabin on top.
          >
          > Cat weighs what 600 lbs max, 400lbs for family of three 300lbs for
          > gear. sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
          >

          > Todd
        • Todd
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 8, 2004
            The cabin is the kicker on this cat . Seems you can't have your cake
            and eat it to. Start optimising the cabin for windage you end up
            with making the hulls taller to acommadate space lost in cabin which
            adds windage. The cat just looks fun . But I keep seeing 2 skinny
            hulls one short and a one long with a big square cabin in the
            middle;) I'll keep you posted.

            Todd

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "doug6949" <prototype@c...> wrote:

            > Windage is always going to be a factor to consider in catamaran or
            > pontoon designs. Any cabin you put on it will significantly
            increase
            > the profile.
            >
            > 18" freeboard is not much for a 23 foot cat. Your cabin profile is
            > what you need to evaluate.
            >
            > Doug

          • graeme19121984
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 11, 2004
              The cabin is neat. Kinda Birdwatcher flexible utility. Ok for semi-
              protected waters?

              What about individual hull static WLLength/WLBeam ratio? Maybe ~
              18'/23"? Giving approx 9.3? Too high?

              Wharram's Design book says his first Atlantic crossing catamaran,
              Tangaroa, was 23'6". It says the defects were: it had a flat bottom
              which pounded ( Bolger says sharpiecat would be rather noisy), its
              8/1 individual hull L/B dragged a displacement wave,

              and its full
              bows gave a slow hull speed. (also after this cat he adopted as one
              of his design principles: No permanent deck cabin between hulls.)
              IIRC JW states elsewhere superstructure height should be 11% (no
              more than 15 percent) of length, or windage will be too much.

              Wharram's trailerable 16' Maui design (now not marketed due to newer
              stitch and tape stringerless construction methods superseding) has
              the option of a solid ply bridgedeck. I gave a lot of thought to
              somehow adding spartan accommodation - in the hulls by raising
              topsides but leaving an open bridge deck, or by walling in the
              bridge deck something like Bolger's Fishcat with a tent top, and so
              on. The 60 degree V hulls, displacement, deck clearance and
              seaworthiness made it too difficult for me.

              However a simple trailable catamaran, easily (= quickly) rigged and
              launched at the boatramp, with some spartan accomodation (not a
              tent) for one or two, yet with acceptable performance remains an
              attractive concept.

              Could Sharpiecat be reduced to a trailable beam (Sail area may need
              complementary reduction/lowering), or could the bridgedeck/cabin be
              fastened down over raised hull coamings in an easily demountable
              way? To trailer it dissassembled put the cabin, rotated 90 degrees,
              on top of the hulls.
              Graeme

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:

              > The cabin is the kicker on this cat . Seems you can't have your
              cake
              > and eat it to. Start optimising the cabin for windage you end up
              > with making the hulls taller to acommadate space lost in cabin
              which
              > adds windage. The cat just looks fun . But I keep seeing 2 skinny
              > hulls one short and a one long with a big square cabin in the
              > middle;) I'll keep you posted.
              >
              > Todd
              >
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "doug6949" <prototype@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Windage is always going to be a factor to consider in catamaran
              or
              > > pontoon designs. Any cabin you put on it will significantly
              > increase
              > > the profile.
              > >
              > > 18" freeboard is not much for a 23 foot cat. Your cabin profile
              is
              > > what you need to evaluate.
              > >
              > > Doug

            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 11, 2004
                Sharpie Cat approximates to Wharram Tiki 21:

                WLL 18'6"
                LOA 21'
                BOA 12'
                B of hull 3'1" (V hull of similar WLB)
                Draft 1'2" (" " " " " SharpieCat
                has more for CB & rudder)
                Headroom under tent 4'6" ( across bridgedeck )
                Sleeps 4 ( 2 in hulls, 2 tented)
                Weight empty 790lbs
                Weight hull 200lbs
                Load capacity approx 1000lbs
                Sail area 208sqft
                Build time approx 400 hrs

                Both good for somewhat differing purposes. Unfortunately neither
                quick to trail and launch for, say, a day or overnight cruise. Less
                so for an afternoon, on an impulse. Longer cruises and mooring, if
                tenable, would alter the equation.
                Graeme

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
                <stephensonhw@a...> wrote:

                > This would match my back-of-the-envelope-type calculation. In cu.
                ft.
                > it's 6/12 x 20/12 x 23 x 2 (two hulls) x 0.55 (typical PC of a
                hull
                > of this type)= 21 cu.ft. Multiply this by 64 (lb. per cu. ft. of
                > seawater), you'll end up with 1281 lb.
                >
                > Alternatively, if you know the total weight, you can work out how
                > deeply the hulls have to be immersed to provide the equivalent
                > displacement.
                >
                > Howard
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I did some simple figuring and with the help of ply boats
                software
                > > came up with a 6'' draft on 20'' wide hulls 1,300 lb displacment
                > for
                > > the 23' 6'' sharpie PB Catamaran.
              • Philip Smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
                  If you want something quick to trail and launch and
                  you haven't got your heart set on a cat, consider the
                  Martha Jane, especially as modified.
                • graeme19121984
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
                    I like the Martha Jane, and I've seen one marvelously modified by a
                    guy who lives aboard and cruises Tasmania to PNG full time. To fit
                    the kind of messing-about requirements I have in mind, compact,
                    quick to get in the water and relatively fast on the water, I
                    thought a multihull of some kind would fit the bill, short of going
                    to a planing powerboat. Whereas MJ would out score my old Micro, at
                    23'6" she is fairly big. If I went from 16' to over 20'in a cat I'd
                    certainly have the speed and spartan accomodation, but again it's a
                    relatively big project still without the trailing and rigging
                    complete solutions.

                    Mr bolger wrote me saying that H&H Schooner at US$100 was an
                    excellent boat if the comparatively deep keel were acceptable. There
                    are some shallows where I might go and I wonder at the practicality
                    of raising H&Hs dagger board, and though very beautiful the sailplan
                    may take too much time too rig. H&H would be great fun for longer
                    deep water bay, or offshore cruises. (Sooner or later these boats
                    would be trailed to Great Barrier Reef waters and I worry about
                    speeding in the trades over isolated emergent coral bombies :-(

                    I've no experience with trimarans, but can see the main hull might
                    allow accomodation as it can have more beam than a catamarans.Maybe
                    a sharpie hull? Also the lighter side floats should make the package
                    easier to configure for trailing. Mr Bolger answered my query about
                    the camping trimaran 'Beach Cruiser' #554 for US$100 as being a
                    design for a hull (sharpie?) using Hobie 16 floats, rig, and
                    hardware. I don't know much about it and would love to see a picture
                    or drawing. Could it be built without the Hobie hulls, out of ply?
                    Does it easily trail, rig, launch? Fast?

                    ( I've said before some kind of out-rigger sailing canoe / proa
                    could be the way to go. At an L/B approaching 6.5 what about a
                    partially decked and out-riggered Zephyr? 'Gizmo'(L/B~12) , Jim
                    Michalak's take on PCB's 'Minimum Proa' seems do-able but
                    accomodation within raised topsides would be very tight.)
                    Graeme

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
                      It would be hard to build anything to replace a pair
                      of Hobie 16 hulls for less money. This is at least
                      true in the US where there are Hobie 16s. There are a
                      lot of derilict Hobie 16s sitting about waiting to
                      donate their hulls to some project.

                      I saw an outboard powered cat the hulls of which
                      started their nautical life as either a Hobie 14 or a
                      Hobie 16. (The beam had been at least halved.)
                    • John Spoering
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 13, 2004
                        Hi Graeme - Just a thought - have you looked into James Warrams Tiki 21
                        catamaran ? I had the pleasure of building the first one in the USA and
                        it only took me 6 months of spare time in the back yard, Accomadations are
                        more than adequate for 2 and she's a great sailer inshore and off. Check
                        out the James Warram web site thru Google or Yahoo.
                        Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale, Fl

                        (978) 282-1349
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Harry James
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 13, 2004
                          I don't think that trailer boats are really that easy especially at the
                          small cruiser size. Martha Jane is certainly easier than some with the
                          tabernacle mast. I know that Mark Zeiger only has to drive about 4-6
                          miles to launch his Martha Jane yet he leaves it on a mooring all summer.

                          I think that any thing much past 16' or so has an inertia that makes it
                          hard to get up and head to the water with. You don't have the impulse
                          trip when the weather beckons, it has to be well planned in advance.

                          HJ

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 13, 2004
                            If you haven't checked out the Zeiger's home page in a while, there are
                            many fine pictures of a Martha Jane in action.

                            http://www.alaska.net/~mzeiger/MJ.html

                            Through out the site you will see many pictures of why shallow draft is
                            neat no matter where you are. I particularly like the scene in the
                            summer 2003 section where they are all up a creek on Admiralty Island.
                            About as much Bolger content as you can get in one scene, Martha Jane ,
                            Modified AS29, dinghy's consisting of Nymph, Light Dory and June Bug.

                            HJ

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 13, 2004
                              Check out

                              http://www.prcn.org/kismet/k24t.htm

                              Simple boat, trailerable (though not easy),

                              HJ

                              graeme19121984 wrote:

                              >I like the Martha Jane, and I've seen one marvelously modified by a
                              >guy who lives aboard and cruises Tasmania to PNG full time. To fit
                              >the kind of messing-about requirements I have in mind, compact,
                              >quick to get in the water and relatively fast on the water, I
                              >thought a multihull of some kind would fit the bill, short of going
                              >to a planing powerboat. Whereas MJ would out score my old Micro, at
                              >23'6" she is fairly big. If I went from 16' to over 20'in a cat I'd
                              >certainly have the speed and spartan accomodation, but again it's a
                              >relatively big project still without the trailing and rigging
                              >complete solutions.
                              >
                              >Mr bolger wrote me saying that H&H Schooner at US$100 was an
                              >excellent boat if the comparatively deep keel were acceptable. There
                              >are some shallows where I might go and I wonder at the practicality
                              >of raising H&Hs dagger board, and though very beautiful the sailplan
                              >may take too much time too rig. H&H would be great fun for longer
                              >deep water bay, or offshore cruises. (Sooner or later these boats
                              >would be trailed to Great Barrier Reef waters and I worry about
                              >speeding in the trades over isolated emergent coral bombies :-(
                              >
                              >I've no experience with trimarans, but can see the main hull might
                              >allow accomodation as it can have more beam than a catamarans.Maybe
                              >a sharpie hull? Also the lighter side floats should make the package
                              >easier to configure for trailing. Mr Bolger answered my query about
                              >the camping trimaran 'Beach Cruiser' #554 for US$100 as being a
                              >design for a hull (sharpie?) using Hobie 16 floats, rig, and
                              >hardware. I don't know much about it and would love to see a picture
                              >or drawing. Could it be built without the Hobie hulls, out of ply?
                              >Does it easily trail, rig, launch? Fast?
                              >
                              >( I've said before some kind of out-rigger sailing canoe / proa
                              >could be the way to go. At an L/B approaching 6.5 what about a
                              >partially decked and out-riggered Zephyr? 'Gizmo'(L/B~12) , Jim
                              >Michalak's take on PCB's 'Minimum Proa' seems do-able but
                              >accomodation within raised topsides would be very tight.)
                              >Graeme
                              >

                              >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Philip Smith <pbs@w...> wrote:
                              >

                              >>If you want something quick to trail and launch and
                              >>you haven't got your heart set on a cat, consider the
                              >>Martha Jane, especially as modified.
                              >>

                              >Bolger rules!!!
                              >Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >

                              >.

                            • graeme19121984
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 13, 2004
                                Hi John. Yes I've looked at Tiki 21. It's a great boat. Although its
                                trailerable the only drawback is that you can't just back it down
                                the boatramp and take off. I sometimes bay cruise a 14'x 8'
                                fibreglass Caper Cat( people have cruised these three-up from North
                                Queensland to PNG). Less sporty than a Hobie, with good in-hull
                                storage too, but still a bit too overpowered to fit Wharram's idea
                                of a safe cruising cat. I like cat cruising - settle back, ease
                                sheets, and if there is any wind at all you pass nearly everything
                                without the fuss.

                                Only the thing is, you are exposed, perched on the bridgedeck all
                                the time. Tenting is possible, but it's inconvenient with stores
                                tucked away in the holds. I'd like some kind of little cabin. I'd
                                probably still mostly sleep on the bridgedeck at anchor or hove-to,
                                but the cabin(s) would give better shelter when needed, and would be
                                so much better for making coffee and meals while on the go.

                                Wharram had a trailerable 16'x8' permanently assembled, seaworthy,
                                Maui cat. I thought about adapting that, but could not really see it
                                working.

                                Thomas Firth Jones has Weekender. It won a design contest judged by
                                our hero Phil Bolger. It looks complicated and needs a special
                                trailer built. It would certainly trail and launch easily, but is
                                for sheltered waters.
                                Graeme

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Spoering" <spoering@e...> wrote:
                                > Hi Graeme - Just a thought - have you looked into James
                                Warrams Tiki 21
                                > catamaran ? I had the pleasure of building the first one in the
                                USA and
                                > it only took me 6 months of spare time in the back yard,
                                Accomadations are
                                > more than adequate for 2 and she's a great sailer inshore and
                                off. Check
                                > out the James Warram web site thru Google or Yahoo.
                                > Aloha - Jack
                                Spoering - Ft Lauderdale, Fl

                                Fred' posts
                                > > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip
                                away
                                > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
                                01930, Fax:
                                > (978) 282-1349
                                > > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-
                                subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • pvanderwaart
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 14, 2004
                                  Also check out the Woods Janus, and especially, the Wizard.

                                  http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/

                                  Peter
                                • Howard Stephenson
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 14, 2004
                                    ... and for several of the designs there are examples already built.
                                    It took me a moment to work out the site's non-standard way of
                                    linking to other pages -- by clicking on the buttons (although the
                                    instructions are right there on the page). There are lots of nice
                                    photos.

                                    Howard

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Also check out the Woods Janus, and especially, the Wizard.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/
                                    >
                                    > Peter
                                  • graeme19121984
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 14, 2004
                                      Thanks for the link Peter.It's a while since I visited the Woods
                                      site. I'm really taken with the claimed 20 minute launching
                                      procedure, less so by an estimated 2000 costing of ~Aus$12000 plus.

                                      IRC, not long ago there was an article in Australian Amateur
                                      Boatbuilder by someone who built Wizard well, and over time
                                      economically. At least they were very happy with the
                                      boat,performance, and more so with its prospective resale value.
                                      Graeme

                                      wrote:

                                      > Also check out the Woods Janus, and especially, the Wizard.
                                      >
                                      > http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/
                                      >
                                      > Peter
                                    • graeme19121984
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 14, 2004
                                        So true.
                                        Graeme

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 14, 2004
                                          The K24looks interesting, thanks HJ. Probably more seaworthy with
                                          the Hobie 16 or 18 rig. TFJones 22'6"x14' Night Heron seems
                                          similar. Less capacity, and maybe cheaper all up.
                                          Graeme

                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote:
                                          > Check out
                                          >
                                          > http://www.prcn.org/kismet/k24t.htm
                                          >
                                          > Simple boat, trailerable (though not easy),
                                          >
                                          > HJ

                                        • graeme19121984
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 14, 2004
                                            Enjoy sky, mountain, ice, forest, water, Bolger boats. Beautiful.