[bolger] Re: Cutting a birdsmouth

  • monica@chairlady.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 1999
      > The router idea seems great. But why use the dowel pins? Most
      routers
      > can be accessorized with an edge guide, for a small cost. Have you
      > found the router bits to use yet?

      I never really trusted edge guides. Very hard to set up dead center.
      And you can only set them so tight then they wander, and while I'm
      routing I like putting lots of pressure in the direction that aligns
      things. The pins make the base self-align to any width piece (even one
      that tapers), and can't sneak off-center and destroy my workpiece.

      I believe I saw appropiate bits at a Sears (the smaller satalite
      "Men's" stores with just the good stuff and no clothes). I'll check
      again next time I'm there. Woodworkers Warehouse would be another place
      to spend a nice hour or two wandering thru "just to look."
    • Robert N. Lundy
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 1999
        Hmmm... I just purchased the edge guide for my router and haven had a
        chance to really use it. After reading your post I took a look at it. It
        looks really sturdy and even has a very fine adjustment mechanism on it.
        But your post makes a lot of sense, especially with the variation in
        routers. A cool tool, but rather confusing with the number accessories.

        The idea of cutting the bird's mouth with the router is still one to pursue.
        I'm going to start looking for a 3/4 veining bit on my next trip to Home
        Depot.