Re: Weldwood vs. Titebond II?

  • Mark Paquette
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2000
      I used the Titebond II on a saw horse leg. (I was about a foot short
      and no other 2x4's on hand) I used a butt joint with a 2x4 butt block
      and no fastners. The joint has lasted 3 years being stored outside,
      unpainted.

      I am currently using this saw horse in the garage to hold up my 12'
      sailing skiff that I am waiting to paint (still to cold...).

      I would use it...

      Mark in MN.

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Garth Battista" <garth@b...> wrote:
      > I recently built a Michalak Toto (and before that, a Windsprint).
      > When it came time to glue on Toto's wales, I thought, OK, rather
      than
      > gooping it up with the sure thing, epoxy, I'll finally try wood
      glue,
      > as per Payson's book, and Michalak's instructions. No Weldwood to
      be
      > found at our lumberyard, but they had this bottle of premixed
      > Titebond II, quite inexpensive.
      > It says it "outperforms all other wood glues." "Passes ANSI
      > Type II water resistance testing." "Ideal for exterior uses" but
      > "not recommended for use below the waterline or for continuous
      > submersion." All sounds OK for wales, I guess. But how does it
      stack
      > up against the most-mentioned wood glue, Weldwood? And what exactly
      > are the ANSI Type II water resistance standards?
      >
      > Has anyone ever used both and formed an opinion as to which is
      best?
      > The Titebond is a cinch to apply, with its applicator nozzle. But
      is
      > it just a glorified Elmer's? Any advice appreciated.
      >
      > Looking forward to the next boat,
      > Garth
    • andy farquhar
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2000
        Garth

        I used Tirtebond II on the gunnels of a glued lapstrake sailing canoe
        that I built two years ago. I have sailed the boat frequently for
        the past two years and all is fine. Also, I glued the scarfs for the
        inwales and outwales with Titebond II (I am too cheap to spring for
        lumber that long) and they are holding up fine. I am now using
        Titebond II for most of the joining above the waterline in a Bolger
        Oldshoe which is now under (slow) construction.

        Andy Farquhar
        afarquhar@...
      • gbship@istal.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2000
          Titebond II has held well in a variety of uses on three different
          boats; from masts to rubrails. The only way I've gotten it to fail is
          to boil or soak for a long time test joints. They don't fail on their
          own, but the glue is substantially weakened. It seems to regain its
          strength when the joint dries. Dry it seems to hold as well as epoxy.
          It especially seems appropriate when the boat will be sealed with
          epoxy anyway.

          Here in the humid south, I've had problems with Weldwood. Two masts
          using this as the sole adhesive both delaminated in the hot sun. So I
          avoid weldwood and use the cheaper and easier Titebond II.

          Gary Blankenship
          Tallahassee, FL

          P.S. Someone a couple weeks ago had a question about Clear Cote and
          Fiberglass Coatings Inc. epoxies. They are two different companies,
          but both are in St. Petersburg, FL. I don't have addresses or nubmers
          handy, but you can get that from directory assistance; area code 727.
          Of the two, Fiberglass Coatings seems to have a wider variety of
          epoxies, I like them better and they are a few dollars cheaper. Big
          drawback is they sell it in paint cans, which makes it impossible to
          pour small amounts (I use small dixie type cups to dip it out....).
          I've heard they will on request sell in plastic bottles, will find
          that out when I visit them later today!

          -- In bolger@egroups.com, "Garth Battista" <garth@b...> wrote:
          > I recently built a Michalak Toto (and before that, a Windsprint).
          > When it came time to glue on Toto's wales, I thought, OK, rather
          than
          > gooping it up with the sure thing, epoxy, I'll finally try wood
          glue,
          > as per Payson's book, and Michalak's instructions. No Weldwood to
          be
          > found at our lumberyard, but they had this bottle of premixed
          > Titebond II, quite inexpensive.
          > It says it "outperforms all other wood glues." "Passes ANSI
          > Type II water resistance testing." "Ideal for exterior uses" but
          > "not recommended for use below the waterline or for continuous
          > submersion." All sounds OK for wales, I guess. But how does it
          stack
          > up against the most-mentioned wood glue, Weldwood? And what exactly
          > are the ANSI Type II water resistance standards?
          >
          > Has anyone ever used both and formed an opinion as to which is
          best?
          > The Titebond is a cinch to apply, with its applicator nozzle. But
          is
          > it just a glorified Elmer's? Any advice appreciated.
          >
          > Looking forward to the next boat,
          > Garth
        • Robert N. Lundy
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2000
            For Fiberglass Coatings offerings etc., go to www.fgci.com

            And you can get their products in jugs-you just have to ask-their default is
            paint cans. The paint cans suck.

            Robert & Amy Lundy
            St. Petersburg, fla.
            robert@...
            amy@...

          • Daniel Curnutte
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 17, 2000
              In England it is nigh on impossible to find Weldwood... The Titebond
              sounds like our local equivilant.."Hard as Nails" and looks like
              glorified Elmers... I have just started using a product by Humbrol
              (big UK adhesives co.)called Cascamite.. Other European builders
              might find this useful. It is easy to find, comes as a powder and
              mixes with water.. Even says on container.. Suitable for
              Boatbuilding!! It costs about $24 for 1.5kg of powder (about a third
              of price of epoxy).
              I have used Epoxy on my Micro for the Hull, Bulkheads and saved some
              to glue together the keel and stick in lead plug. The Cascamite is
              being used for decks etc...
              It sounds like my Cascamite is identical to Weldwood.. Can I use it
              to glue my 25' mast together???
            • Mark Paquette
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 17, 2000
                I don't now if anyone else has found this info. so here we go. I
                found their web site and some info on Type II testing. Check out the
                link below to see additional info on Titebond.

                00341 Revision Date: 3/10/00
                What is the difference between Type I and Type II testing?

                Type I testing: boiling for 4 hours; oven at 140�F for 19 hours.
                This
                happens for 2 cycles and then the bonds are checked for delamination.
                The bonds are then broken and must pass a certain strength before
                they break. The bonds are checked for wood failure.

                Type II testing: Wood soaked for 4 hours; oven at 120�F for 19
                hours.
                This repeated for a total of 3 cycles. The bonds are inspected for
                delamination.
                Both of these tests are done on 2" by 5" birch 3 ply plywood. Set up
                like plywood- using 3-5 plys of wood.

                �1999 Franklin International Legal Disclaimer Privacy Policy

                http://www.titebond.com/

                I think I will be using more of this stuff on my next boat.