Re: reefing and luff treatment

  • Frank San Miguel
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000
      I am anxious to hear also, being new to the sprit boom myself. I
      sailed a boomless gunter rig for years and reefing it was a snap. In
      my sprit boom rig, I sewed two rows of horizontal reef points instead
      of the vertical ones shown in Chapelle's "American Small Sailing
      Craft"- someone said somewhere that the vertical points drastically
      reduce sailing performance.

      I have not had to reef my sail yet, but I expect it will take a
      little getting used to - with the sprit boom in the way and all. I
      added carabiner style clips to the snotter, tack and clew to make it
      quick to re-rig after reefing. We'll see.

      Frank

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Derek Waters" <dgw@d...> wrote:
      > I'd be very interested to learn how different group members have
      approached the issue of reefing Bolger-esque sprit boomed sails, and
      what form of luff attachments they used. Jim Michalak has some useful
      information, and I've been re-reading 103 rigs, but nobody seems to
      have anything close to 'the ultimate' answer. How about you guys?

      > Derek
      > (still basking in a dubious sense of self-satisfaction coming from
      the recently completed 'birds-mouth' mast for the Nymph :)
    • Vance Cowan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000
        --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Frank San Miguel" <sanmi@c...> wrote:
        I am anxious to hear also, being new to the sprit boom myself.
        <snip>

        Jim Michalak has two essays on this. He comments on both the good and
        bad points of three approaches.
        http://www.apci.net/~michalak/#INDEX
        then
        15jun99, Sharpie Sprit Sails, Frolic2