RE: [bolger] Tippssail

  • tjfatchen@ace.net.au
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2000
      BO>Since I am now constructing the Single Handed Schooner <snip> I am
      considering adding a
      BO>staysail although it is not shown in the plans and Bolger's commentary in
      BO>BWOM states 'I have spared you a staysail', indicating it seems that he
      BO>doesn;t think it is 1) necessary, 2) practical, 3) useful or 4) all the
      BO>above.

      Singlehanded, I don't think you would have enough hands, feet, teeth or
      other limbs. Three sails is probably enough for one person at a time.
      :)

      BO>How close to the wind is too close for a
      BO>schooner? 50 degrees?

      50 degrees is all right provided there's not a significant chop. If
      there is significant chop, one has to be further off the wind to keep
      the boat moving, as individual waves can stop her.

      We work on tacking through 100 degrees, which is why one only really
      notices the limitations of the LS's windward ability in races against
      the bendy-mast brigade, but then one =really= notices ...

      Tim & FLying Tadpole