[bolger] Tippssail

  • tjfatchen@ace.net.au
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2000
      BO><snip> light schooner. You show a couple of sail configurations I have never
      tried- fore, reefed main and staysail and jib and full main. I plan to try them
      on my next adventure with Sapphire. <snip>
      BO>Bill Jochems

      Before you do, just check (on paper) where your sails' COE is under the
      various configurations. PCB uses the cat schooner rig, at leas in part,
      because it's capable of multiple "settings" with the sail area still
      staying perfectly balanced, or almost so. For example, from the plans
      for BERENGARIA, the same variety of rig can be used as for the light
      schooner. I would expect the same to be true for the Wm D Jochems
      schooner.

      Tim & Flying Tadpole
    • tjfatchen@ace.net.au
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2000
        BO>Since I am now constructing the Single Handed Schooner <snip> I am
        considering adding a
        BO>staysail although it is not shown in the plans and Bolger's commentary in
        BO>BWOM states 'I have spared you a staysail', indicating it seems that he
        BO>doesn;t think it is 1) necessary, 2) practical, 3) useful or 4) all the
        BO>above.

        Singlehanded, I don't think you would have enough hands, feet, teeth or
        other limbs. Three sails is probably enough for one person at a time.
        :)

        BO>How close to the wind is too close for a
        BO>schooner? 50 degrees?

        50 degrees is all right provided there's not a significant chop. If
        there is significant chop, one has to be further off the wind to keep
        the boat moving, as individual waves can stop her.

        We work on tacking through 100 degrees, which is why one only really
        notices the limitations of the LS's windward ability in races against
        the bendy-mast brigade, but then one =really= notices ...

        Tim & FLying Tadpole