Re: [bolger] Re: More of My Drawings, Critique Still Welcome

  • John van V.
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      Thanks, they are rough, my whole point, I was really poor at the time and had
      to do my stuff on the fly in a notebook, didnt even have a car.

      I had actually read all those books by then. And then discarded the knowledge.

      I went w/ a french sculputor instead who said that the 'design' is in the
      mahogony block trying to come out (paraphrasing, he said the chick is in the
      stone...) So I made all the profiles to transfer to wood blocks, and then get
      the rest of the ship out with chisels and files and sandpaper.

      One of the classics of naval design is the "The Junks and Sampans of the
      Yangtze" and there isnt a single draughting mark in it. You know its a good
      book cuz it costs over 175$$, in fact thats where I got all my lorcha ideas.

      But thanks, really
      John

      =====

      http://my.yahoo.com