More of My Drawings, Critique Still Welcome

  • John van V.
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi again,

      More picts: http://tinyurl.com/3tzzz

      I got 160 views of my pictures, which surprised even me !!

      So I uploaded more of the note-book sketches, boats I like a lot.

      More Lorchas, some odd staysail and genoa schooners, dories, and something like
      the black skimmer.

      At the time I wanted the ability to design a ship w/ a clipper bow that wasnt
      butt ugly. They came out pretty nice. You can use the sketches for windvanes
      whatever :) if you want.

      I wish I had the CAD they are using on bateau.com , then I would finish them
      off in a hurry, rather than wait for a woodshop to do half-hulls

      John

      =====

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Howard Stephenson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        It's not easy to make meaningful comments, John. For a start, your
        drawings show no or very few dimensions -- length, beam, draft,
        displacement, sail area, power etc. Learning and using a CAD program
        would no doubt help as would reading books that give a theoretical
        basis to your design efforts e.g. Skene's Elements of Yacht Design
        and Chapelle's Yacht Design and Planning. A great little book is John
        Teale's "Designing Small Craft". It's advertised 2nd-hand at:
        http://www.columbiatrading.com/cgi-bin/columbia/1649.html
        ... for $35, quite a lot for a 135-page book, but it covers the
        basics (although there is nothing about CAD) in a very readable
        style, with lots of interesting drawings of Teale's own designs for
        sailand power boats in a variety of materials and sizes up to about
        30'

        Howard

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
          Thanks, they are rough, my whole point, I was really poor at the time and had
          to do my stuff on the fly in a notebook, didnt even have a car.

          I had actually read all those books by then. And then discarded the knowledge.

          I went w/ a french sculputor instead who said that the 'design' is in the
          mahogony block trying to come out (paraphrasing, he said the chick is in the
          stone...) So I made all the profiles to transfer to wood blocks, and then get
          the rest of the ship out with chisels and files and sandpaper.

          One of the classics of naval design is the "The Junks and Sampans of the
          Yangtze" and there isnt a single draughting mark in it. You know its a good
          book cuz it costs over 175$$, in fact thats where I got all my lorcha ideas.

          But thanks, really
          John

          http://my.yahoo.com