New Bateau design has Bolger like features, other design musings

  • donschultz8275
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/TW28_study.htm

      A new trawler/yacht from Bateau features a box keel which they credit
      to Atkin, but I of course associate it PCB. Looks like a fine design,
      though I find Bolger, Bateau and others tend to design for average
      height people, unless height is specified. I'm 6'4" and wish to enjoy
      some space above my punkin'.

      I think Bateau's outboard powered GT 23 & 27 along with Michalik's
      Pete's Boat would benefit from a Bolger Fast Motor Sailer cutwater. I
      would be inclined to make it a Hawkeye/Microtrawler cutwater/ski,
      running all the way to the stern. It should clear air from the prop
      and improve steering at all speeds.

      As long as I'm flapping away here I also think Bayard Cook's AF4,
      which uses a steel bracket to support the engine about a foot or more
      back from the transom proves the value of that design feature. His
      boat looks great underway, has more cockpit space, and the engine is
      definitely set much shallower than it would be if bolted to the wood.

      This all makes me wonder about Bolger's common practice of continuing
      the hull back past the engine transom as in Idaho, Hawkeye,
      Microtrawler, Sneakeasy, and even the original Wyoming. I believe
      this is commonly called a slipper stern.