Re: Chebacco 25

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Nelson" <joe_nelson22@h...> wrote:

      > Seems like all the Bolger boats I like have scant information
      > available.
      >
      > The Chebacco 25 seems like it would be a really nice boat.

      Hi Joe,

      I have always loved this design. It would be possible to strip build
      it as well, although the lapstrake would look beautiful and as
      designed it would be quite fast. Also it will planes with a 15 hp
      motor. Did you know that the Chebaccos are also available in an
      offshore capable version with a pilothouse?

      Another nice boat is the Seabird and it too is available with a
      pilothouse almost the same as the Chebacco and a couple of different
      rigs I believe.

      I'm not convinced I want to spend that much time and effort on
      building a boat that only has pipe berths. Therefore my final choice
      was the Long Micro, as a part-time live aboard. It is shorter than
      either, easier to build and trailer, and has a lot more interior room
      than any other boat in that size range. Especially with the Navigator
      mods. Also I can use the same motor and trailer I have now for my
      Micro.

      But I am not concerned about so called "aesthetics" and have no
      qualms in firing up the engine if I want to get somewhere.

      The Micro I have now, draws more positive comments than I had ever
      expected. Mostly, small boat sailors are amazed at the space it has
      inside.

      Cheers, Nels
    • Michael Childs
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 19, 2014
        The spars didn't seem to have the elegance of the lining of the strakes. Maybe it was the foreshortening in the photos. I'll have to check out
        Oughtred' s clinker boatbuilding book. I've immersed myself into John Gardner's books lately. Good job. Good luck on the centerboard.

        Michael Childs
        415 828 9663 - 626 799 9796
        www.michaelchilds.com
        michael_v_childs@...