Re: Centennial 2 Pictures

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
      Centennial 2, what are the changes from Centennial 1 assuming there
      was a Centennail 1? I liked this boat the first time someone brought
      it up on bolger groups I have a picture of the drawing. What is the
      sail rig of the Centennial 2 in the picture?

      Todd

      <graeme19121984@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Me too! Only 3 more sheets of 3/8" ply than Storm Petrel. Hmm...
      > > Thanks for the pics Don.
      > > Graeme
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@h...> wrote:
      > > > The guy driving failed to understand why I wanted to stop
      > >
      > > > Seeing one 'in the flesh' reinforces in my mind how interesting
      > > > a boat Centennial II is.
      > > > The ballasted leeboards do
      > > > indeed look hard to handle, but not all that bad either
      considering
      > > > that a fixed ballasted keel would eliminate the 'dry out'
      anchorage
      > > > convenience. One again, I want one!
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        > assuming there
        > was a Centennail 1?

        The first Centennial was a dory rowed across the Atlantic in 1876,
        the US Centennial.

        The CII rig has a large 4-sided sprit main and a 3-sided sprit
        mizzen.

        Peter
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2004
          > I was at Waiheke Island today on a job, and saw a Centennial 2 sitting
          > on the mud.
          > Bolger4 Group...photos
          > DonB

          It just dawned on me, 'what is wrong with this picture',
          Centennial II has a deep rudder, on a through hull
          shaft. How does one remove the rudder/shaft to allow
          a Centennial II to sit on the mud? I have some ideas,
          the most direct is to take a swim, other ideas invoke
          the spirit of Rube Goldberg.
        • Susan Davis
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 6, 2004
            Bruce H:
            > How does one remove the rudder/shaft to allow
            > a Centennial II to sit on the mud? I have some ideas,
            > the most direct is to take a swim, other ideas invoke
            > the spirit of Rube Goldberg.

            The His and Her Schooner features one possible solution; the Insolent
            60 another related one. Were I to build a CII (and I'm tempted to do
            so one day as a companion boat for voyages beyond the capability of
            the I60), I'd probably include an I60-style retractable endplated rudder.

            --
            Susan Davis <futabachan@...>