Re: Black Skimmer again

  • Joe Nelson
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 1, 2004
      Thanks to those who have weighed in so far. Sounds like the plans
      are a real value!

      The centerboard modification would be a definate aesthetic
      improvement in my mind.

      I think I will start a new thread to discuss the Chebacco 25
    • Nels
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 15, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:

> [...]

        There was one built somewhere in California but I never saw the
        finished product. I have always been attracted to the design as it
        has a lot of interior space to sleep four adults. Imagined myself
        using it on the big rivers and canal systems.

        I think the major drawbacks are first the huge leeboards, that
        develop lee helm when partially raised. This was improved in the
        double pivoting boards in the WJS. Whalewatcher uses a bow
        daggerboard which is a sort of "make do" complication. Secondly, it
        will probably pound a lot, especially when motoring which one would
        need to be able to do in rivers and canals. I wonder how it would
        work with a box cutwater like Super Brick and a off-center board like
        Birdwatcher?

        My first choice now would be BWll(Birdwatcher II) for a couple and
        WJS (William Jochems Schooner.) for four people. Either choice is far
        more somplicated than Whalewatcher but would give better all around
        performance I would guess.

        Birdwatcher is PCB's favorite all-time design which is really saying
        something!

        Cheers, Nels