Black Skimmer again

  • Joe Nelson
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hello,

      I am not a regular poster here. I did a search on the black skimmer
      and saw that a recent thread never really ended in conclusion. Did
      anyone ever find out what the BS plans cost from FB&F? My thoughts
      are to consider the ones from Payson as study plans.

      I probably will meet a lot of opposition to this statement, but I
      think that the BS is one of few Bolgers designs that is pretty. I
      think most of his designs are an aquired taste. I also like the
      Chebacco's. The 25 looks like a really nice boat. How do you think
      they would compare (chebacco and black skimmer)?

      Anyway I have not seem much info or pictures on the net for the BS.
      Yes I have seen the Bolger boats on the net site and the one that is
      available in florida as a charter boat. But no really good pictures
      of interior or layout.

      Your help would be appreciated.
    • Nels
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 15, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:

> [...]

        There was one built somewhere in California but I never saw the
        finished product. I have always been attracted to the design as it
        has a lot of interior space to sleep four adults. Imagined myself
        using it on the big rivers and canal systems.

        I think the major drawbacks are first the huge leeboards, that
        develop lee helm when partially raised. This was improved in the
        double pivoting boards in the WJS. Whalewatcher uses a bow
        daggerboard which is a sort of "make do" complication. Secondly, it
        will probably pound a lot, especially when motoring which one would
        need to be able to do in rivers and canals. I wonder how it would
        work with a box cutwater like Super Brick and a off-center board like
        Birdwatcher?

        My first choice now would be BWll(Birdwatcher II) for a couple and
        WJS (William Jochems Schooner.) for four people. Either choice is far
        more somplicated than Whalewatcher but would give better all around
        performance I would guess.

        Birdwatcher is PCB's favorite all-time design which is really saying
        something!

        Cheers, Nels