Latest Project

  • teakdeck@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2000
      Bolgerions,

      Yesterday I made a boat from scratch.

      After building Windsprint, I bought the plans for Oldshoe, but haven't
      started her due to work space problems and the difficulty of hiding the
      project from my first mate. Then I became enamored with Junebug and built the
      bulkheads for that boat but I haven't ordered the plans yet.

      Then I got my Windsprint out for a little sail, which meant getting the
      trailer hooked up, launching, retrieving, parking the thing in my garage. I
      started obsessing about a real small, lightweight boat I could car top. I
      also wanted to try stitch and glue construction. So....

      Yesterday I cut out the side panels, the bottom and the transom for a boat
      from scratch. It's about 7.5 feet long and a little under 4 feet wide. The
      hull sides are 21" high with a rocker figured at 12" at the bow and 15" at
      the stern. Got all the pieces wired together.

      Don't know what I'm going to use for filleting. Maybe Bondo. Also have a
      problem figuring out how to stick some temporary molds in the boat to fair
      the shape while I do the filleting and attach the gunwales.

      Once all of that is done I plan to deck the boat out of a single piece of
      plywood with the cockpit cut out. I think I'll trim the opening with that fun
      noodle stuff. Then I need to figure out some way to attach a leeboard.
      Finally, I plan to make a small lateen sail. I made one for Windsprint out of
      blue poly, but this time I might try a heavy gauge plastic drop cloth. A see
      through sail.

      Mike Masten