Re: Bolger small motorsailer

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 105 , Nov 29, 2004
      Nels,

      I don't recall Mr. Bolger having any objections to the concept at all,
      either in the SBJ #74 Cartoon article or in later correspondence. No
      one has stepped forward with the $1,000 (1996 prices) to bring the
      cartoon to final building plan. Mr. Bolger had just recently done the
      "Fast Motorsailer" and suggested the construction plans for the Fast
      Motorsailer could apply to the Small Motorsailer. I actually bought a
      set at "study plan prices" and they were (are) a big help.

      If I remember the article correctly, Mr. Bolger proposed a different
      (taller) sail plan but the client wanted a shorter mast (makes sense
      with the tabernacle) and Mr. Bolger seemed to think it turned out all
      right.

      Lewis

      p.s. Are there three or four like-minded souls who would like to share
      the design cost?

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Thanks for the tip, Bruce. I found the Col. H. in the
      > > Bolger 2 files. Same idea, except the Col. H. is a
      > > pure sailboat with an outboard aux., while motorsailer
      > > is more of a Beebe style "Passagemaker" type, but
      > > obviously the same lineage.
      >
      > What I find really appealing is that nice litte diesel down low in
      > the keel. With a good alternator and a diesel fireplace, I can
      > imagine it going up the inland passage towards Alaska. Taking it one
      > short chunk at a time and probably turning around before you got
      > there. But what a great experience it would be!
      >
      > I wonder what it is that Bolger objects to? Probably the sail plan
      > for one. A plan like Jessie Cooper would be interesting.
      >
      > Cheers, Nels
    • Clyde Wisner
      Message 105 of 105 , Jul 13, 2005
        Nels, thanks for posting this Small Simple Motorsailer. The more I look
        at it the more I like it. Clyde