[bolger] Tapaz

  • sailormon@torchlake.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 1999
      Don, I have an article somewhere from messing about in boats. When I
      relocate it I will post the volume etc. As far as I know, I may be
      the only one building this boat. The topaz was designed this last
      year for a Mike Guthman. I have no idea whether or not he is
      a-building or having her built. Phil told me this is a NEW design.
      She is 31' overal. Has a large cabin, fwd. cockpit and a small aft
      cockpit. The bow or cutwater is somewhat tortured ply. which gives her
      a very nice entry. Initially I was interested in the Tennessee due to
      the size and potential of making a motor cruiser of her. When I posed
      this suggestion to Phil and friends, they suggested the new Topaz.
      This because I plan to use her in northern lake huron and lake michigan.
      Today I finished most of the bulkheads, a few small ones to go.
      Setting them up in the shop, I was shocked at the size of the boat. I
      am 6' and do not come close to bumping my head on the overhead beams.
      Wheather is turning cold up here in Mi. and I am approaching the time
      after two days work where I may start on the hull. This will take
      place in a friends (COLD) tool barn. Hopefully we will get a warm
      spell to get that part done. Thus far I am working alone with my wife
      available to help move ply.
      I realize posting my progress is like talking to a shrink, as no one
      out there has any idea what I am about anyhow. Still fun to talk
      though. Having built several other boats, I really enjoy reading other
      peoples idea's and problems. I started messing about in the late 60's
      with a 34' Wharram catamaran in my yard and have never stopped since.
      That early attempt was a real learning experience in glassing and
      glueing. This before the epoxy age. Things are easier now so take
      heart. Will get back, Brad
    • CPCorreia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 1999
        Brad,

        I would love to see the basic lines of the topaz. Could you e-mail them to
        me, or are they available to look at on the net?

        Also, I am a big fan of Wharram and would love to hear more about your
        experiences. I am currently thinking about a Tiki 30. I would love to build
        it, but time constraints will probably force me to have it built. I have a
        couple of bids out to Thialand and Africa. The Tiki 30 would be $30,000,
        built in Thailand, no price yet from Africa. Did you ever sail your Wharram?
        What did you think?

        All the best,
        Chuck.
      • Chuck Leinweber
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 1999
          Chuck:

          Click here: http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/Topaz then click on
          Topaz.gif to see the Topaz lines.

          I have always liked the Wharram cats too, but most multihull enthusiasts
          turn their noses up at them.

          Chuck

        • sailormon@torchlake.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 1999
            "chuck leinweber" <duckwork-@...> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=432
            > Chuck:
            >
            > Click here: http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/Topaz then click
            on
            > Topaz.gif to see the Topaz lines.
            >
            > I have always liked the Wharram cats too, but most multihull
            enthusiasts
            > turn their noses up at them.
            >
            > Chuck
            >
            > > Brad,
            > >
            > > I would love to see the basic lines of the topaz. Could you e-mail
            them
            > > me, or are they available to look at on the net?
            > >
            > > Also, I am a big fan of Wharram and would love to hear more about
            your
            > > experiences. I am currently thinking about a Tiki 30. I would
            love to
            > build
            > > it, but time constraints will probably force me to have it built.
            I have
            > > couple of bids out to Thialand and Africa. The Tiki 30 would be
            $30,000,
            > > built in Thailand, no price yet from Africa. Did you ever sail your
            > Wharram?
            > > What did you think?
            > >
            > > All the best,
            > > Chuck.
            > >Cuck, see above for the lines of the Topaz and thanks Chuck. Sounds
            redundant huh.
            As to the wharram, yes I sailed her off and on for 4-5 years. To say I
            loved the boat would be untrue. But then I pushed her to extremes. I
            was primarily a single hander with no crew and an idealist. For
            expample to remain a purest, I had no radio, lanterns for running
            lights and a silly 5hp english motor with a pull start. This never
            started when needed and then would power only going with the wind. To
            make matters worse, I made my own sails of canvas sail cloth and they
            were chinese junk. The masts were cut spruce trees which according to
            Wharram were ok. Not true, I was demasted twice. The last just after
            going under the mackinac bridge and nearly lost the boat on the rocks
            as large waves kept the little motor submerged. I did have a friend
            aboard whom I asked to bring a gabage bag to me. This works well to
            start silly little engines in. You just cover it and reach through and
            pull the string. Lesson, you can't come around with just a mizzen. On
            the other hand I learned the most from this boat. When I was
            delivering her for the last sail to another port, we took a pouning
            that kept all other boats off lake michigan. After all night of this
            and part of the day I took her into hog island on the lee side. This
            is almost an impossibility do to the rocks. Shallow draft has it's
            merits. The boat was fine, we the crew could take no more. Would she
            go to wind, no. But that was no fault of the boat, but the sails and
            the early design. She was then delivered down the Missippi river and
            made it all the way to Florida where I lost track of her. I have seen
            a few old ones like here when sailing down there and can't help
            wonder?????
            Would I recommend one of the Tiki's. I think so, as much of the early
            problems seem to be addressed. Lastly, stay with a proven rig, and get
            as large a motor as you are comfortable with, like a honda 25 min. I
            was blessed to have my boat survive my owning her and have many scary
            tales to pass along if interested. Good sailing, Brad