iroko

  • jrozman1
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2004
      I need to replace a section of the rub rail on my Westerly 25. Does
      any know of a source for an african wood known as iroko.Preferably in
      Florida I'll need a piece about 1x6 8ft. to 12ft. in length.
    • David
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jrozman1" <rozman@g...> wrote:

        > I need to replace a section of the rub rail on my Westerly 25. Does
        > any know of a source for an african wood known as iroko.Preferably in
        > Florida I'll need a piece about 1x6 8ft. to 12ft. in length.
        *******************

        Howdy,
        Can't help when it comes to Florida, but can offer a last resort
        option, if you must have iroko & can't find it elsewhere. Here in the
        Pacific Northwest, there are two specialty lumber firms which will
        ship to you. One is Gilmer, in Portland. OR. The other is Edensaw in
        Port Townsend, WA. I hope and expect, though, that you'll find it
        closer to home. No sense incurring the various costs of shipping one
        stick across the continent. Good Luck.

        Prosit,
        David Graybeal

        "My life is like a stroll upon the beach,
        As near the ocean's edge as I can go" - Thoreau
      • James W. Sloan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
          You might try Florida Southern Plywood in Jacksonville.
          (www.floridasouthernplywood.com) Don'tlet the name fool you, they have tons
          of dimensional and rough sawn wood in lots of species. Their current catalog
          doesn't list Iroko, but their stock is usually much larger than they post
          online. If they don't have it, they're sure to refer a source. Good Luck!
        • loosemoosefilmworks
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
            Iroko is a very similar wood to teak and is often used as a cheaper replacement ...It looks
            just like teak but is much harder to work and has grain issues which make for a lot of
            waste in the long run and quite a lot of movement unless laminated. In France it is
            considered so dangerous (breathing oils and dust) that is is unlawfull to use it in
            commercial enterprises (cabinet making,boatbuilding etc)

            All in all you'd be much better off ( and healthier) with teak...