[bolger] Re: Weldwood for Fillets

  • Jeff Gilbert
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2000
      Mike -a guy down here built a 21 x 6ft Ketch skiff.
      He pivoted leeboards off traier hubs, bolting them
      right on instead of a wheel.
      Hey. maybe you could bolt them on at the waterline and sell your trailer!!
      Jeff Gilbert
      Doon Under

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2000
          I don't think that Weldwood would make good fillets.

          My Cynthia J. had leeboards on a simple pivot bolt as per the plan.
          Pictures in the vault. The topsides have a reinforcing pad on the inside. I
          bought cheap plastic (nylon? delrin?) thru-hull fittings and installed them
          a bushings in the leeboards because I though the simple holes through the
          plywood leeboards would get bigger and bigger as the boards worked in use.

          Boards mounted like this are easier to damage than ones that can pivot away
          from the boat. IF the board is forced sideways the strain is focused on the
          bolt area. On the other hand, they work on either tack. The boards need to
          be have leeboard guards to rest against both above and below the pivot.

          Peter
        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2000
            I used Weldwood to cheaply smooth out the inner corner on a flattie
            kayak I built last year. Outside, there's an external chine log about
            3/8" square. I mixed the glue with some West Filleting Mix #405 I
            had around. I didn't even tape it.

            It came out nice, having a pretty good color to match the Philippine
            Mahogany ply.

            Brittle it may be, but I haven't had any trouble with cracking in
            one season of use, which included lots of swinging it up on top of
            the car, carrying it by the coaming over my shoulder a ways,
            grounding on the beach, jamming it into a corner of the garage, etc.
            And the boat doesn't even have a real deck to stiffen it, just some
            heat shrink dacron over a couple stringers with a Funnoodle coaming.

            I think Jim Michalak is a very reliable source of information, and
            you could certainly depend on Bondo to work well. But if I remember
            right, Bondo is pretty boring to mix and goes off very quickly.

            The only trouble with Weldwood is that, in the small 8 oz.
            containers commonly available, as glue it doesn't seem to be all that
            cheap anymore, compared to careful use of polyurethane or even a
            little epoxy from a big jug.

            I certainly would not use it for what you're proposing without keeping
            everything at 70 degrees while it sets up. Putting the tape on while
            the fillet is still wet will save a lot of sanding and improve adhesion.

            Unless its a totally throwaway boat anyhow, why not try some
            destructive testing and see if it works? The rule, courtesy of Harold
            Payson, is if you drive over a sample joint with your truck and the
            ply goes first it'll be all right in your boat.

            Mark
          • Russ Ingram
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2000
              I'm building a concrete canoe (it's just something civil engineers do
              for fun!) and we're allowed to have "up to 25% binding agents other
              than portland cement". I was using some Probond polyurethane glue,
              and noticed the instructions say that it cures in the presence of
              moisture, so I thought, "why not?". I mixed 3/4 lb. of cement with
              1/4 lb. of Probond, then added enough water so it was easy to work
              with. That stuff has set up harder than concrete...I'm going to mix
              enough next time to make some cubes so I can bust them in the
              compression machine. I'll let y'all know the results when I get them.