[bolger] Re: Near Launch

  • Jack E. Bearden
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
      Congratulations Phil, on the near launch of Shoe String. Assuming this
      weekend's weather in Arkansas is proportionately that much more wonderful
      than here in NS, where it is inspiringly springlike (definitely no April
      fools). Hope she sees the water soon. Also hope you're serious about the
      shores of Fundy, though that might not be your first choice of places in NS
      to sail/row Shoe String. Windows of opportunity for sailing Bee-Held (my
      June Bug) in the Bay are few and far between. Just the right combo of wind
      and tide is heartbreakingly rare (thus the WDJ project). Here are reminders
      of a couple envents coming up this summer you and others on the list might
      like to know about:

      Small Ships/ Tall Ships - Halifax, July 20-24, 2000
      Small Wooden Boat Association of Nova Scotia (SWBANS)members are planning a
      "small ships" "swarming" of the tall ships which will be in Halifax Harbour
      for the Tall Ships event.

      Mahone Bay Wooden Boat Festival, Aug. 2-6, 2000
      Among other events there will be the annual LS and Wind Sprint races and
      classic WB race. I hope to initiate a new event for rowing/sailing crafts
      like June Bug, Teal, Gypsy, etc. I'd like to try something like the
      "Waterman" event suggested by someone on this list several months ago. The
      race might include legs of rowing and sailing, alternately. Or maybe it'll
      just be an event for various leg-o-mutton sprit boom rigs.

      At any rate Phil, do hope you are really planning the northern pilgrimage.
      Would love to see Shoe String "in person". Keep me posted.

      jeb, celebrating unfrozen mud on the shores of Fundy