articulated wing keels..

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 17, 2004
      Kudos to Gary Blankenship and Duckworks for the long article on the
      prototype retractable wing keel. I'm sure that the I60 Marching and
      Chowder Society is reading closely.

      I'm not a mechanic, so while I can see how it's supposed to work, I
      wouldn't presume to offer suggestions for "improvements." I do
      wonder though, whether it's really worth the trouble. After all,
      what is the return on the effort?

      The only return that I see is somewhat less draft in the "full down"
      position than for an equivalent unfledged keel. How much less?
      Probably a foot. I suppose the center of gravity would also shift
      less in raising and lowering.

      Opinions?

      Peter
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 26, 2004
        > > We built a Jessie Cooper and sailed it up and down the English Channel, Did the
        > > Bob

        I am curious if you used the 400 lbs of ballast shown on the plans,
        or did you use more?