Re: [bolger] Re: design ideas

  • Zack Tiger
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
      Riverboat paddlewheel steamers used rudders to steer,
      especially the stern wheelers. There were conventional
      rudders, but also "monkey" rudders placed ahead of the
      wheel.
      My idea of using differtial steering was taken from
      how tracked vehicles operate. It may be too complex
      for the simple boat I have in mind.

      --- Howard Stephenson <stephensonhw@...> wrote:

      > You're not the only one, Zack.
      >
      > Something I've never understood about paddlewheels
      > is how to work out
      > the gearing. Obviously the paddles, at the bottom of
      > the paddlewheel,
      > have to move backwards faster than the speed of the
      > water moving past
      > the hull; but how much faster? Does anyone know? And
      > what is the rule
      > of thumb that determines the under-water area of the
      > paddle blades?
      >
      > Whatever the required speed is, the paddleshaft(s)
      > would have to turn
      > a lot slower than the half-shafts of a road-vehicle.
      >
      > Getting back to Bolger: The Folding Schooner shows,
      > in the Toy
      > Riverboat chapter, a 20'5" x 8' sidewheeler, styled
      > like an old
      > Mississippi sternwheeler. The design uses a 5 hp
      > diesel with 2:1
      > reduction, a diff and half-shafts from a VW Rabbit
      > (I think Bolger
      > owned one at the time), with a double-reduction
      > system of belts and
      > cogged wheels to drive the paddles.
      >
      > I don't think the design uses the steering system,
      > you propose, Zac.
      > This is how tracked vehicles steer, isn't it?
      >
      > Howard
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Zack Tiger
      > <zackalicious@y...> wrote:
      > > I have been building rather a large number of
      > boats
      > > recently in my "cerebral boatyard".
      >
      > > As I watched this rig work, I noticed that it was
      > > diesel powered side-wheeler!

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com