[bolger] Re: WDJ supplemental ballast

  • Donald Hodges
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 29 7:37 PM
      This proves that old adage: "Most of the the things we fear most in life
      never really happen..." Or the other one: "Never overlook the "do-nothing"
      alternative..."

      Sure glad I don't have to debate our host and Tim any more on this one. My
      parting shot: I have my own copy of Gougeon and I still would not use bolts
      to attach a flat plate to a flat boat with 2 1/2 inches of deadwood.

      Don Hodges, who attached a 16-foot-long marine plywood bottom to Sweet
      Caroline today using two quarts
      of thickened epoxy (hope I got that out of my system), then went sailing the
      12-foot skiff

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 29 7:51 PM
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 30 8:03 AM
          Steve,
              Bolger's early conceptual drawings of the WDJ showed water ballast of 1500 lbs.. and no batteries. The final plans had shorter ballast tanks of 1200 lbs. capacity and two 8-D batteries which weigh 320 lbs.. total. So far Sapphire has only one small battery which weighs about 35 lbs.. I keep overlooking this difference and perhaps Bolger was unaware when he wrote that her ability to carry sail was less than anticipated.
              So, all the more reason I should continue with my internal lead ballast. Someday, a future owner might want a gyroscopically stabilized satellite antenna and color TV. In which case the lead could be removed and the 8-Ds added.
              In making your ballast comparisons between MJ and WDJ consider also the relative displacements. MJ is 2700 lbs.. and WDJ is 4900 lbs.. It is interesting that a mere 2 feet of length and 1 foot of beam can almost double the displacement.
          Bill Jochems
        • Hwal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 30 11:06 AM
            Bill - All very interesting- What do you think your total trailering weight
            comes up to? What do you pull her with and how has that worked out? And one
            more tangential question - what does your maximum total sail area add up to
            and have you ever had that much sail up? Steve