Brick- Skimmer Advice

  • Hogg Tyed
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
      Hello, I am new to boat building. I have been watching the forums
      of a dozen different web-sites. I recently bought and read Devlin's
      HOW TO BUILD ANY BOAT THE STITCH AND GLUE WAY, Payson's BUILD THE NEW
      INSTANT BOATS and Michalak's BOAT BUILDING FOR BEGINNER'S AND BEYOND.
      After a few posts and lots of sifting through archives, I believe
      that the smallest wooden boat I can build that will meet my needs is
      the Bolger Brick or Skimmer, (I assume the Brick will row better). I
      want to stay under 8.5 ft and go no wider than 49 inches.

      I want to row or paddle and occasionally use my 30lb thrust
      electric trolling motor. I want to use the boat for fishing and just
      exploring quiet areas of the lake. I need enough stability to stand
      and stretch from time to time, also need to be able to enter and leave
      boat easily without getting wet. I will be using it to access game
      lands that can only be reached by water. My biggest problem is my
      size I weigh 405 lbs, I max out most boats built for 2 people by
      myself. I have been using a canoe but it's too long, standing is not
      an option. Entry and exit are tricky for my less than cat like reflexes.

      My question: Am I on target with either Brick's or Skimmer's
      ability or do I need to rethink things?

      I am posting this on several boards so forgive me if you have to read
      this more than once.

      Thank you in advance for your help time and advice, Hogg
    • Jason Stancil
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
        Hey, I've build two little brick like boats. One from luann the
        other from 1/4 " pine. They are'nt the best row boats but they move
        well under sail or my litlle 2hp honda...i'm sure the trolling motor
        will work great. I've sailed with over 450lbs in the thing and it
        could have handled more easily. I'm not the most coordinated person
        in the world but i am 65% lighter than you, i can stand up in the
        brick no sweat. I've even done some fly fishing out of the thing and
        never went for a swim. For your max. boat size and needed capacity i
        think you'd be hard pressed to find a better boat. It's really an
        amazing little box. Not sure if you plan on hauling on a truck,
        trailer or roof. But resist the urge to over build it or you'll have
        a heck of a time getting it on the roof rack. The 1/4" pine one i
        build had lots of stringers on the bottom, decks, 24" side and
        floatation tanks and it was tough to throw on the roof of my car.
        The boat can easily be built in one weekend and painted the next.
        Have fun with it.
        Jason
      • Hogg Tyed
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...> wr

          >Not sure if you plan on hauling on a truck,
          > trailer or roof.

          I am planning on sliding it in the back of my Van. Thats the main
          reason I am so limited to the small size. Could also haul it on my
          4x8 utility trailor as long as I dont have the camper to pull as well.
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
            wrote:

            > Hey, I've build two little brick like boats. One from luann the
            > other from 1/4 " pine. They are'nt the best row boats but they move
            > well under sail or my litlle 2hp honda...i'm sure the trolling
            motor
            > will work great. I've sailed with over 450lbs in the thing and it
            > could have handled more easily. I'm not the most coordinated person
            > in the world but i am 65% lighter than you, i can stand up in the
            > brick no sweat. I've even done some fly fishing out of the thing
            and
            > never went for a swim. For your max. boat size and needed capacity
            > think you'd be hard pressed to find a better boat. It's really an
            > amazing little box. Not sure if you plan on hauling on a truck,
            > trailer or roof. But resist the urge to over build it or you'll
            have
            > a heck of a time getting it on the roof rack. The 1/4" pine one i
            > build had lots of stringers on the bottom, decks, 24" side and
            > floatation tanks and it was tough to throw on the roof of my car.
            > The boat can easily be built in one weekend and painted the next.
            > Have fun with it.
            > Jason

            I built a pram based on the profile of a Brick but with flared sides
            and narrower bow and stern transoms. All of these changes act to
            reduce the load capacity of the boat. Nevertheless it has sucessfully
            carried over 700 lbs!!! with plenty of freeboard to spare.
            The bowed sides as I built them also impart more rigidity to the
            design. Sails and rows quite well for an 8' pram.

            Paul
          • Mister Gray Green
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
              Hi there,