Re: JM Blobster foot well question

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chrisbfeller" <chrisbfeller@y...>
      wrote:

      > I am debating on making a full cockpit length self draining
      cockpit in
      > my Blobster by JM
      > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/plans/jim/blobster/index.htm
      > rather than the Micro style cockpit drawn. I am doing this
      because I
      > want a longer foot well to accommodate more passengers in comfort.

      It's your boat,your call. If you have serious concerns,I trust the
      designer is the best source for a definitive answer.
      Things I would consider before actually changing the plan layout;
      A) Just how many people do I plan on carrying above the boats
      nominal capacity of 2 and is this a routine event or just once in a
      blue moon. If just once in a blue moon, I'd let my excess passengers
      get a full days worth of sailing,as is, and count on fewer requests
      for future sails.....except for the die-hards who do not mind the
      old-fashioned cockpit layout and its effect on their comfort.

      B) Since the boat has only water ballast and a fair bit of
      rocker,what will be the effect of having a crowd in the cockpit of
      such a small boat.That is,to what extent will she squat by the stern
      and lose her sailing lines altogether?

      C) Do I really want to give up some very useful dry storage space
      under the cockpit for the benefit of a few occassional passengers?

      and D) Is it conceivable to build the boat as per plan,put her
      through a good season of use and re-evaluate the real need for a
      different cockpit layout and the subsequent boat surgery(not that
      hard) required to put a foot well into her?

      Not sure if any of the above helps but good luck with your building
      of her!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,ex owner-builder of a Bolger Micro