Re: [bolger] Birdwatcher-2 Material List

  • John B. Trussell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
      Okume is awfully nice stuff to work with. It is pricey and, since it is not rot resistant, expensive epoxy coating is a good idea. Fir is structurally sound, but checks badly unless you sheath it in fiberglass. I'm currently building a 19 foot boat with MDO fir plywood. The glue and veneers seem to be marine grade (I've cut up 8 sheets and haven't found a void yet). The paper overlay seems to be thoroughly bonded to the wood--it doesn't tear when being sawed with a skill saw or a saber saw. It is my hope that I can avoid the expense, time, and sanding involved in epoxy or fg coating--so far it looks good.

      Plywood manufacturers build products based on market demand; too bad there is more demand for sign making material than boat building material!

      John T