Birdwatcher-2 Material List

  • Bob Larkin
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
      Hi Steve and all -

      I have finished up the first cut at a bill of materials. It is posted at:
      http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw_ii_bom.htm

      All comments will be appreciated.

      I estimated prices, with some research, but no serious price shopping, and
      came up with costs. If you look at the materials, they generally would
      allow some savings by using lower quality. On the other hand, I must have
      missed some items that will push it up. In summary, without outboard
      motor, or trailer, or slot hatches/covers (still under consideration), it
      is about $4300:
      Plywood $1200
      Stick wood 550
      Lexan 475
      Other 1360
      Sails 750

      My memory of the Honda 2 HP is about 750 and a trailer can range up to 1500
      or more.

      I have some of the gear already, but there are always added costs for fire
      extinguishers and the like. Seems like it could be a $7K project.

      Bob Larkin
      Corvallis, OR
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
        > Plywood $1200
        I would guess 14 sheets at $50 = $700

        > Stick wood 550
        I would guess 150 BF at $1 = $150
        Spars, 100 BF at $3 = $300

        128 SF @ $2? = $250

        > Other 1360
        About right, wild guess anyway,
        would include 12 gallons epoxy $600
        might be low if you include a tool allowance and sandpaper, etc..

        > Sails $750
        Payson advertises Birdwatcher sails at $1,245
        probably not including the new enlarged jib.

        > My memory of the Honda 2 HP is about 750
        I got a local quote for a new 2005 yamaha f2.5 at $770 plus tax.

        > and a trailer can range up to 1500

        The parts to build one are about $600 I bet.
      • John B. Trussell
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
          Okume is awfully nice stuff to work with. It is pricey and, since it is not rot resistant, expensive epoxy coating is a good idea. Fir is structurally sound, but checks badly unless you sheath it in fiberglass. I'm currently building a 19 foot boat with MDO fir plywood. The glue and veneers seem to be marine grade (I've cut up 8 sheets and haven't found a void yet). The paper overlay seems to be thoroughly bonded to the wood--it doesn't tear when being sawed with a skill saw or a saber saw. It is my hope that I can avoid the expense, time, and sanding involved in epoxy or fg coating--so far it looks good.

          Plywood manufacturers build products based on market demand; too bad there is more demand for sign making material than boat building material!

          John T
          might be low if you include a tool allowance and sandpaper, etc..

          > Sails $750
          Payson advertises Birdwatcher sails at $1,245
          probably not including the new enlarged jib.

          > My memory of the Honda 2 HP is about 750
          I got a local quote for a new 2005 yamaha f2.5 at $770 plus tax.

          > and a trailer can range up to 1500

          The parts to build one are about $600 I bet.

          Bolger rules!!!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor