Re: Windermere photos...caption enhanced :-D

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
      wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/

      Bolgerados,
      Had a chance to review the photos so kindly posted by Bruce
      Hector and thought I might further explain what y'all is lookin'
      at :-)
      Beginning with the first photo and working our way down in
      order:
      "Windermere aft cabin"...this will eventually become the aft
      stateroom but is presently serving as work-shop since I have chosen
      to work my way aft in outfitting the interior.This saves a few
      hundred steps up and down the sides of the boat by keeping the work
      all inside.Just visible in the lower left hand corner is one of the
      two centerboard box sides upon receiving its finally coat of epoxy
      after the laying on of 2 10oz layers of glass.This will be followed
      by a thorough sanding and 4 coats of high build epoxy barrier
      coat/primer......I love sanding :-)

      "In the bow well"... yours truly illustrating for Bruce how the
      anchor crane is intended to work.Just forward of me is the dry
      fitted breasthook which will serve as the upper berring for the
      crane and just bellow it,the anchor storage well.The bow well is not
      as deep as it appears in the photo as I am standing in the bottom of
      the well prior to installing the sole.

      "Looking forward from aft cabin"...this photo is a bit
      deceiving in that it gives the impression of great headroom.However,
      that is simply because I have yet to install the cabin sole which
      will effectively raise things another foot or so. The little
      thermometer clipped to the bulkhead is one of three.The other two
      are located inside the boaw shed and one outside. I have been
      religiously recording the three readings for postarities sake and
      find that I can easily attain a 12 to 15 degree difference between
      the outside temps and those within both the shed interior and inside
      the cabin. The poly film layed over the cabin top further enhances
      the "greenhouse" effect.

      "Looking along the starboard side"....sure looks tall but a
      good part is under water,no rub rail installed and no paint
      scheme,thus the illusion.There is however enough space to stroll
      around the boat :-)

      "Bow fillet,port side".... This is a close up which shows a
      layer of the MDO removed.This is for allowing the laying of
      fiberglass tape along the chines,prior to fiberglassing the sides,
      and will result in a smooth,seamless transistion....no ugly
      fiberglass tape edges to fair :-).....also,each screw was removed
      and its hole plugged with epoxy and one round toothpick.The
      toothpick serving as a mini pile-driver to get the thickened epoxy
      all the way down top the bottom of the screw hole.The toothpick is
      left in place until the epoxy cures and is latter sanded off. Sure,I
      have lots of time on my hands for this sort of craziness and wish to
      avoid future grief with any type of "fastening sickness"....

      "Bruce boarding ladder".....what can I say,my main corrupting
      force and inspiration for maddness :-)

      "Peter enjoying pm nosh"....yes I was and comfy too on my
      little bit of log sitting right bellow where the kitchen counter
      will go. But ya shouda seen what I could see from there as Big Bad
      Bruce christianed/blessed/spilt a goodly glass of sacred Porto onto
      the the floor of the galley...and the boat wasn't even rockin' !

      That's it for my comments regarding Bruces pictures.Hope you
      enjoyed looking at them and perhaps Bruce will post some more since
      he sure took alot!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan, from along the sub-freezing shores of the dark
      St.Lawrence.............