re: inboard sneakeasy

  • Zack Tiger
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2004
      One possible solution to the delimma would be to use a
      motorcycle engine incorporating a shaft drive. The are
      many mid-displacement bikes (approx.500cc's) out there
      in wrecker's or breaker's yards available cheap,
      especially if the bike has been pranged in the front
      end. The cycle would supply the engine, integral
      transmission, and shaft drive. The shaft drive has a
      universal joint already engineered in, that pivots at
      the swingarm. Once the rear wheel and hub is removed,
      it would be simple to fabricate a shaft extension,
      either in a direct drive or z-drive configuration. For
      a mere pittance you also get: factory engineered
      lubrication, fuel and electronic ignition systems, a
      fuel tank, electric start, elementary guages and
      warning lights, etc.
      While most of the bikes have a manual gearbox, they
      use in-line shifters, so it is simple to make a shift
      lever arrangement ( a dual lever throttle quadrant
      would work, with a T-handle or pushbutton/electric
      solenoid actuated clutch). Alternatively, just modify
      the shift mechanism so that only two gears are
      available, top gear and neutral. A small geared
      electric motor attached to the shaft via a cogged belt
      could be used for reversing, with the transmission in
      neutral, or Jeff's Kitchen rudder system could be
      employed. Some of the larger bikes are water cooled,
      using a closed system, which can be used as is,or
      adapted to lake water cooling via a water-to-water
      heat exchanger. The beauty of it is, it's all designed
      to work together as a unit, and parts are cheap.

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • Howard Stephenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2004
        A look at Firebrand, as it appears in 30-Odd Boats -- it was never
        built, as far as I know -- will provide a few ideas about how to
        utilize such an engine.

        Firebrand, 26'6" x 4'3" and an ancestor of Sneakeasy, was designed as
        a simple hull to make best use of a small steam engine. The drawing
        shows condenser boxes recessed into the bottom of the hull. The same
        idea could be used for whatever you call keel cooling, when there
        isn't a keel.

        Perhaps you could mount the bike's frame inside the hull, so that the
        driver and passenger could sit on the original seats. The original
        fuel tank would be used and steering would be with the original
        handlebars; a kind of poor man's jetski...

        Howard