Re: Micro Upgrade

  • Jason Stancil
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
      John,
      It's called the enclosed cruiser upgrade 426B or something like
      that.
      It's got the house with dimensions for that bulkhead that forms the
      divider between front stowage and bumks, Tabernacle, larger chinese
      gaff mizzen, a drifter, rounded over bow with two fillets along the
      keel at water line to give a v entry. Drop board companion way up at
      the forward bulkhead a new vang, some changes to the boomkin and
      some other minor things.
      That's what i recall.
      Jason
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
        > some other minor things.
        > Jason
        J. you described it well, and
        the minor things include
        a new end plate on the rudder,
        and a revised scheme for the
        routing of the forward lines.
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@i...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > Does anyone have a list of the upgrade items included in Mr
          Bolger's
          > Micro upgrade. Does it include the Navigator design items as well
          > as "rounded bow" (I'm not sure what this is) etc etc,
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > John Mann

          I posted a few scanned highlights here:

          The actual blueprints are scaled and have more detail but it is
          pretty much as Jason said. The end plate for the rudder is also an
          addition not on the original plans. The forward well has more space
          with the mast/tabernacle further forward. Room for a deck chair now!
          Narrow decking added to the well along both gunwales for the blocks
          for all the strings. Also a fully battened mizzen with more area.

          There is no building guide like PCB usually has nowadays. No written
          explanations other than that on the plans themselves.

          A lot of work and complication in my view, but the results would be
          improved performance in every facet of which some people have
          considered compromises in the original. The original is still the
          best choice in the KISS traditions!

          These modifications on a Long Micro would result in a fully capable
          ocean-going maxi-micro motorsailor:-)

          Cheers, Nels
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
            > The forward well has more space
            > with the mast/tabernacle further forward. Room for a deck chair now!

            The best thing about the new gangway through the forward bulkhead to
            the forward well, is that it would accept the porta-potty, effectively
            giving the 16' long micro a private area for the 'head'. [w/curtain across
            the opening in the newly added bulkhead at station 10]

            Can you name another cruiser, 16 feet long, with a private place
            for a toilet?

            [my mind now gearing up in free wheeling mode]

            The Coast Guard regulations prohibit 'discharge' of human waste.
            This amounts to: you cannot pee or poop in in a bucket, and then
            legally dump the bucket into water. But, you can legally pee or
            poop directly into the water, as long as no bucket involved.
            Therefore perhaps a hole in the hull bottom of the free flooding forward
            well of the Micro would not be considered a 'discharge' per the US
            regulations.

            [As I understand the law, check for yourself,
            I am not giving legal advice.]
          • dbaldnz
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
              Yes Nels, the rig has got more complicated than ever. All those extra
              battens, jaws and lines for the mizzen....a nightmare.
              DonB

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                > Yes Nels, the rig has got more complicated than ever. All those extra
                > battens, jaws and lines for the mizzen....a nightmare.
                > DonB

                Plus a couple halyards, and some pulleys for 35 SF of sail,
                to gain 8 SF in area (30%) over the previous sprit sail.
                Not quite "a nightmare" but no doubt more complex.

                Also, worth noting, the new Micro plan relocates the main
                sheet of the mainsail from the stern quarter posts, to a
                horse on the top deck (roof) of the cabin. Plus, the
                intermediate pully for the main sail sheetlet is relocated
                down, to clear the sliding mizzen batten jaws.
              • mannthree
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
                  wrote:
                  > Jason,

                  Thanks for the info. The fillets along the keel would hopefully
                  reduce the noise at anchor,

                  Cheers,

                  John
                  > John,
                  > It's called the enclosed cruiser upgrade 426B or something like
                  > that.
                  > It's got the house with dimensions for that bulkhead that forms
                  the
                  > divider between front stowage and bumks, Tabernacle, larger
                  chinese
                  > gaff mizzen, a drifter, rounded over bow with two fillets along
                  the
                  > keel at water line to give a v entry. Drop board companion way up
                  at
                  > the forward bulkhead a new vang, some changes to the boomkin and
                  > some other minor things.
                  > That's what i recall.
                  > Jason
                • mannthree
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                    > > The things that attracted me to the Micro were the simplicity
                    of the build (Excluding the keel), the simple sailing rig, and the
                    ability to sail high and dry in an elegant manner in a compact 15'
                    4" boat on the choppy waters of Sydney harbour. However I'd love to
                    have that enclosed cabin and a bit more sail area or better control
                    of the sail (reefing and adjustment). I bought some plans for the
                    Great Pelican a while back (when I wasn't feeling well!) and its
                    sail is a balance lug/chinese lug?? or something which I think could
                    be fitted into the areas vacated by the standard Micro sail. It
                    doesn't look as complicated as the chinese gaff main on the Micro
                    Modifications. I'm going to investigate this (See link below)

                    http://community-2.webtv.net/PelicanSailboat/SFPELICANSAILBOATS/

                    Cheers,

                    John

                    some other minor things.
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                            Hi Bruce,
                            Yes, I noticed the new horse position, right above where you would be
                            standing to change sides and generally walk about. I don't at all like
                            the thought of straining ropes and thrashing blocks right at
                            scalp/forehead height, especially as the boat will be mostly sailed
                            with the sliding hatch open.
                            DonB

                            > Also, worth noting, the new Micro plan relocates the main
                            > sheet of the mainsail from the stern quarter posts, to a
                            > horse on the top deck (roof) of the cabin. Plus, the
                            > intermediate pully for the main sail sheetlet is relocated
                            > down, to clear the sliding mizzen batten jaws.
                          • Harry James
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 2, 2004
                              I had a 32 ft Aluminum Bowpicker in Norton Sound that I used for the
                              herring fishery. It had an out house welded on the back with a straight
                              pipe to the water.

                              HJ

                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                > Yes, I noticed the new horse position, right above where you would be
                                > standing to change sides and generally walk about. I don't at all like
                                > the thought of straining ropes and thrashing blocks right at
                                > scalp/forehead height, especially as the boat will be mostly sailed
                                > with the sliding hatch open.
                                > DonB

                                On my Navigator cabin, I lengthened the slot about a foot,
                                and discovered that an unintended consequence was that
                                I then needed a 'horse' for the boom to rest upon when not
                                hoisted. My horse is in about the same position as the
                                one on the Micro II plans. Being 6 feet tall, my eyes fall below
                                the horse when I am standing in the slot, and I don't feel there is
                                a problem with vision or standing height.

                                As is painfully obvious, I haven't launched yet, but I have
                                spent some time 'dry run' sailing in my driveway, and find
                                that there is an excellent comfortable position to stand
                                or sit with your butt in the cabin gangway hatch while sailing,
                                [head well clear of the horse].

                                Also, at times, the horse is also a comfortable place
                                to rest your hands, bracing your balance, while you stand in the
                                slot.

                                I can't say I *truly* understand the mechanics of sheeting a
                                gaff sail, but I am guessing that Bolger welcomes the downward
                                pull of the new sheet location for its 'vang' effect on the boom, which
                                would be greater in the new configuration than the old.

                                Have you noticed how the new mainsheet runs forward before it
                                enters the cabin? I see that the fairlead to enter the cabin might
                                be a source of a rainwater leak.

                                Just an update on my progress: I am currently fiberglassing and
                                refinishing the perimeter of my cabin roof, hairline joints in which
                                I have diagnosed as the source of rainwater leaks into the cabin.

                                Also, I have come down with a case of 'cold feet' about my
                                jerry rigged wheel bearing job done while rebuilding my trailer.
                                So, I bit the bullet and ordered new a axle, hubs, wheels
                                and tires, yet to be installed. The last thing I want would be
                                a bearing or tire failure on the trailer. [New tires, because the $56
                                Costco tires I bought were wrong, being 'passenger car' load rating,
                                not the higher trailer load rating 'C'.] The trailer is a safety issue
                                that I must get right.
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                  > The fillets along the keel would hopefully
                                  > reduce the noise at anchor,
                                  > John

                                  I don't recall ever actually hearing complaints of noise at
                                  anchor with the Micro. Is the noise a real or imaginary
                                  problem?
                                • Jason Stancil
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                    > As is painfully obvious, I haven't launched yet,

                                    Yeesh, I feel your pain. Doesn't look as though i'll make it till
                                    spring. I can't get the weather to cooperate and since i keep
                                    finding a spot to fair i have to wait at least another week each
                                    time for it to cure before painting. First projected snow of the
                                    season is this weekend. I've got the windows installed and all the
                                    bits cetoled. The plan is to pop the windows out put about 4 coats
                                    of primer on her bed down the windows batten down the hatches and
                                    store her for the winter. I'll get all the spars and bits finished
                                    up and rigged by the warmth of the woodburning stove in the cabin
                                    this winter. I'm moving farther out into the woods this week and i
                                    donb't have a trailer yet so my little beast will be left unattended
                                    at the old building site 20 miles from my new cabin. Oh well the
                                    water will start icing in 30 days anyhow.

                                    Jason conceiting defeat to old man winter and praying for an early
                                    thaw!
                                  • mannthree
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                      > > The slap, slap, slap, of the waves and or ripples resonates
                                      through the hull. I suspect it would drive you crazy after a
                                      while.

                                      John

                                      The fillets along the keel would hopefully
                                      > > reduce the noise at anchor,
                                      > > John
                                      >
                                      > I don't recall ever actually hearing complaints of noise at
                                      > anchor with the Micro. Is the noise a real or imaginary
                                      > problem?
                                    • dbaldnz
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                        Yes Bruce, it would be heartbreaking to damage your craft for a
                                        trailer fault.
                                        I considered the horse where shown on the new plan when building, but
                                        it just did not feel right. A shame to spoil that nice open feeling
                                        with the big hatch wide open. My boom has 2 resting places, a bar in
                                        front of the hatch and another connecting the aft stanchions.
                                        Sitting as you say at the after end of the opening looks a really
                                        comfortable place for relaxed sailing, with the tiller between your
                                        legs and both hands free for taking the caps off bottles!
                                        As to leaks, I have been lucky to have none, though being paranoid
                                        about leaks in my work, a lot af attention was paid to that.
                                        Progress on Oink has been zero since our Home Show here a few months
                                        ago.....I just cannot get on top of the work generated, and have even
                                        spent my weekends following up new clients. However the weather is
                                        warming up now, and time will be made,

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                          > > > The slap, slap, slap, of the waves and or ripples resonates
                                          > through the hull. I suspect it would drive you crazy after a while.
                                          > John

                                          Depends on the individual. Some people hate to hear the
                                          seagulls too <g>. Personally, the clanking of halyards on the
                                          aluminum masts of plastic boats gets on my nerves.

                                          I just wonder if the fillet piece was a result of complaints received,
                                          or perhaps from Susanne Altenberger having fun with her CADD
                                          program.

                                          A third potential reason, not mentioned in the MAIB article is that
                                          the fillet has hydrodynamic or structural benefits.
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                            > DonB
                                            > Yes Bruce, it would be heartbreaking to damage
                                            > your craft for a trailer fault.

                                            Or kill someone.

                                            > I considered the horse where shown on
                                            > the new plan when building, but
                                            > it just did not feel right.

                                            The new plans show the 'short hatch' and the horse
                                            is a few inches forward of the forward edge of the
                                            hatch. Shouldn't hit your head, unless your hatch
                                            is enlarged.

                                            http://hallman.org/bolger/422/horse.gif
                                          • Jason Stancil
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                              Because of my dumb dumb modification to the sail plan i think my
                                              traveler will be strung accross the top of the two stanchions....the
                                              boom extends aft of the stern ala' old school cat boat, we'll see
                                              how that goes.

                                              Since she has a tabernacle I put the gallows for the mast where
                                              bolger shows his traveler...it's not been bedded/bolted down yet as
                                              it's brightwork, but it makes a great grab rail to swing yourself
                                              down through the companionway slot(haven't built the step yet.

                                              When i talked to susanne about the tabernacle mod she warned me of
                                              some other mods they'd been wanting to do. The letter that came with
                                              the plan said the fillets were there to stop pounding at anchor, she
                                              wrote there had been a number of complaints about the noise.

                                              Jason
                                            • dbaldnz
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                                Oh, I hadn't noticed that the hatch is now short. Strange, because
                                                they have stressed the large open hatch as being part of making the
                                                glasshouse livable (like Birdwatcher). I wouldn't like to lose the
                                                lovely open rag-top feeling of the original hatch design.
                                                DonB

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 3, 2004
                                                  Do you have bears near that cabin Jason? You might have more than a
                                                  bent keel to contend with come spring!
                                                  Are you retreating into the hills for peace and quiet to knock out
                                                  your thesis?
                                                  DonB

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 4, 2004
                                                    > Oh, I hadn't noticed that the hatch is now short. Strange, because
                                                    > they have stressed the large open hatch as being part of making the
                                                    > glasshouse livable (like Birdwatcher). I wouldn't like to lose the
                                                    > lovely open rag-top feeling of the original hatch design.
                                                    > DonB

                                                    Actually, (I had forgotten), the side view of the boat shows a hatch
                                                    with a shorter length. The top view shows a longer length. (Also,
                                                    the top view doesn't show a horse). 'Omission' 'error', 'builders option',
                                                    take your choice.

                                                    A word of caution, I chose to make my hatch longer still. The difficulty
                                                    of building a hatch, (and the hatch rails) straight enough to slide fairly
                                                    without binding grows exponentially with length. IOW, a short hatch
                                                    is vastly easier to build than a long hatch.