Re: [bolger] Re: Birdwatcher Info

  • Roger Derby
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
      That sounds like a good solution. Any chance of some pictures?

      Roger (It's early in the morning and I'm having trouble picturing "T's with
      the tops cut off.")
      derbyrm@...
      http://derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 4, 2004
        Thanks to Paul, Howard and Rick for the helpful comments on covering the
        Birdwatcher slot. I had not seen the Michalak articles, and these have now
        also been contemplated!

        I am inclined to consider this slot-cover question experimental and wait
        until I have a boat to work with. When anchored, the problem is simple,
        and a boom tent, covering at least the center compartment would provide
        standing height and dryness. But, under way it gets interesting. I'll
        start by having the ability to cover the forward compartment with a hard
        hatch. Maybe the aft area, also. Then get out the scrap plastic tarps
        and experiment. Somehow, out of all this, there must be a way to easily
        poke a head and binoculars out to get a decent view of whatever is
        approaching. Hmmm....

        Thanks again,
        Bob
      • Rick Bedard
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 4, 2004
          You're missing a major point of Birdwatcher and Birdwatcher type (like my Michalak JB Jr) boats.... The view looking out of the cabin is so excellent and all around that there is no need to poke your head out.

          Rick

          Bob Larkin <boblark@...> wrote:
          Somehow, out of all this, there must be a way to easily
          poke a head and binoculars out to get a decent view of whatever is
          approaching. Hmmm....

          Thanks again,
          Bob

          Bolger rules!!!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Get unlimited calls to

          U.S./Canada

        • Bob Larkin
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 4, 2004
            Hi Rick - I agree for nice weather (pretty much), but going back to the
            original assumptions, the rain is coming down, and the waves are hiding
            deadhead logs (missed a few, by feet, in the past), crab floats, kelp, gill
            nets and the like. My habit is to watch a lot for this stuff! If I can't
            do it easily, this becomes a concern.

            I bet the right arrangement of covers and hatches will allow
            this?? Without letting too much water inside.

            Bob

            At 12:50 PM 11/4/2004, you wrote:

            > From: Rick Bedard <sctree@...>
            >Subject: Re: Re: Birdwatcher Info
            >
            >You're missing a major point of Birdwatcher and Birdwatcher type (like my
            >Michalak JB Jr) boats.... The view looking out of the cabin is so
            >excellent and all around that there is no need to poke your head out.
            >
            >Rick
            >
            >Bob Larkin <boblark@...> wrote:
            > Somehow, out of all this, there must be a way to easily
            >poke a head and binoculars out to get a decent view of whatever is
            >approaching. Hmmm....
            >
            >Thanks again,
            >Bob
          • Rick Bedard
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 4, 2004
              Bob,

              Have you been in a Birdwatcher or Birdwatcher type? You're welcome to try mine out if you're within reach of central coast California.. The view is really excellent. Not sure how much you would gain sticking your head out. Sorta like poking your head out of your car window in a rainstorm, what would you be gaining in visibility? OK, no windshield wipers on a boat like this... Hmmm? Well, Idunno....

              Sounds like you venture out in weather that I would stay at anchor... The "rain" that I've sailed my JB Jr in most of you folks would laugh at.... you probably would use words like "drizzle" or "mist" or, or, "You mean those couple of raindrops?" ... I have sheltered inside, under my tarp slotcover, nice and dry, during a couple "several hour long rainy periods, and once, at anchor, during an all night downpour...

              Back to your problem. If you must get your head out in a Michalak JB Jr on a rainy day, it's easy enough to take out the aft companionway dropboard (not really a board, it's a simple clear acrylic sheet) and sit very comfortably and securely, (in raingear), on the aft deck with your legs and feet inside the cabin. The tarp slotcover will still cover all the top, so the biggest leak would be what runs down your raingear. I guess a couple towels would be good for a while... A little puddle goes a long way in creating havoc in a flat bottomed boat....

              Not sure how this would work on a Bolger Birdwatcher

              Oh, and the logs and floats and stuff... Very light weight, flat bottomed, rockered, very shoal draft, kick-up leeboard and rudder, armored bottom (xynole-graphite)... I'd just run over that stuff... Or maybe stay at anchor.....

              Rick

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2004
                >... A little puddle goes a long way in creating havoc in a flat
                bottomed boat....

                > Not sure how this would work on a Bolger Birdwatcher
                > Rick

                The new Birdwatcher design has a raised floor, with a 'gutter' along the
                edges to catch runoff, spilt beer, etc..
              • Bob Larkin
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 7, 2004
                  Rick,

                  I have been distracted from boats for a couple of days, but wanted to get
                  back with a couple of thoughts. First, many thanks for the offer to
                  experience the Jewbox Jr. I have not been on (or seen) any of the BW types,
                  and it would be a good thing to do. Realisically, however, it is a bit more
                  of a trip than could happen soon. I may call on you, if an opportunity to
                  get down your way should arise.

                  Also, I didn't mean to sound like I only sail in the rain!! We even attempt
                  to avoid it. Never the less, it has happened quite a bit. We really like
                  to go to Puget Sound/San Juans or to the lower Columbia R. For various
                  reasons, including crowd reduction, this most often happens in September or
                  October. Rain and wind seem to be part of this, sometimes. The wind part
                  can be great!

                  Getting back to the boat, right after I got the BW-2 plans, I built a 16:1
                  model. It is open on one side, so I can peer forward from the aft
                  compartment. I don't think this view is nearly as good as that of as JB
                  Jr. BW-2 (and BW) has you looking through 10 feet of boat, a frame or two,
                  and then the Lexan is at an angle on the sides. The good view is through
                  the slot, at least if the jib is not in the way. I think the JB avoids
                  that obstruction, as does the very original BW. It beats not having the
                  windows, but it there is stuff in the way.

                  I found all the comments on hatches, including Bjorn Harbo's for the WDJ to
                  be very useful. I am going to experiment with hard covers for the forward
                  compartment and then decide what to do. I think the decision has been made
                  to proceed with BW-2! I can't start quite yet, as I have about a month's
                  more work on a spinning wheel project, plus a couple of other little
                  ones. The real decision is ordering some wood!

                  This all replaces a Catalina 22 , making the trailering and setup a lot
                  easier, allowing thinner water, while still allowing basic "camping." It
                  also lets me build another boat :-)

                  Thanks again to all for the comments.

                  Bob

                  At 12:43 PM 11/5/2004, Rick Bedard wrote:

                  >Bob,
                  >
                  >Have you been in a Birdwatcher or Birdwatcher type? You're welcome to try
                  >mine out if you're within reach of central coast California.. The view is
                  >really excellent. Not sure how much you would gain sticking your head out.
                  >Sorta like poking your head out of your car window in a rainstorm, what
                  >would you be gaining in visibility? OK, no windshield wipers on a boat
                  >like this.. Hmmm? Well, Idunno....
                  >
                  >Sounds like you venture out in weather that I would stay at anchor... The
                  >"rain" that I've sailed my JB Jr in most of you folks would laugh at....
                  >you probably would use words like "drizzle" or "mist" or, or, "You mean
                  >those couple of raindrops?" ... I have sheltered inside, under my tarp
                  >slotcover, nice and dry, during a couple "several hour long rainy periods,
                  >and once, at anchor, during an all night downpour...
                  >
                  >Back to your problem. If you must get your head out in a Michalak JB Jr on
                  >a rainy day, it's easy enough to take out the aft companionway dropboard
                  >(not really a board, it's a simple clear acrylic sheet) and sit very
                  >comfortably and securely, (in raingear), on the aft deck with your legs
                  >and feet inside the cabin. The tarp slotcover will still cover all the
                  >top, so the biggest leak would be what runs down your raingear. I guess a
                  >couple towels would be good for a while... A little puddle goes a long way
                  >in creating havoc in a flat bottomed boat....
                  >
                  > Not sure how this would work on a Bolger Birdwatcher
                  >
                  >Oh, and the logs and floats and stuff... Very light weight, flat bottomed,
                  >rockered, very shoal draft, kick-up leeboard and rudder, armored bottom
                  >(xynole-graphite)... I'd just run over that stuff... Or maybe stay at
                  >anchor....
                  >
                  >Rick
                • Rick Bedard
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 7, 2004
                    I'd bet the view will be better than you think.. The analogy with your model would be looking out through the windows of a plastic model car compared to sitting in a real life car of the same make... It's different in real life scale...

                    Hard hatches... What Bolger does with Jochems schooner looks sorta like a bifold door. The perimeter overhangs the slot framing and the mid doors gap is waterproofed by a foam strip that gets pinched when the hatch is closed. The Jochem's slot is divided into several, (I think 3) sections with decking between. If you did that on Birdwatcher you'd lose the ability to stroll standing-up from one end of the cabin to the other...Plus you'll need to have the cabintop space that the door folds over on clear.

                    Happy boatbuilding...
                    Rick