Re: Windemere photos

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
      wrote:

      > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/

      .....and so there I was,going about a few simple housekeeping
      chores,like sweeping up several pounds of dust, in preparation for
      the arrival of Le Baron de Kingston,aka,le Mouton Noir, Big Bad
      Bruce Hector when out of the symphony of clacking wind driven
      shrouds came the sound of the RUSTCHECK limo cruching boatyard
      gravel.
      Upon entering my bowshed "shop",and exchanging the briefest of
      pleasentries,we immediately got down to the serious business of
      liberating some spirits.That is,what was to be the first of two
      bottles of porto was released from its glass prison and glasses
      filled prior to the outside inspection/tour with Bruce hot on my
      heels.
      Of course,Bruce feined surprise at the sight of the
      bottle,claiming that he thought I "was only joking" when I e-mailed
      him earlier in the week querying him whether or not he was,per
      chance,allergic to Porto. With a swiftness born of desire and
      practice,Big Bad Bruce was out and back from the Rustcheck Limo with
      a couple of spicy Italian sauges and a chunk of aged cheddar. Like
      we all carry this sort of stuff around in our cars,just in
      case.....ha!....Bruce couldn't hide his early Boyscout training in
      preparedness :-)
      And so,in short order, we were quickly positioned on our
      respective fanny perpendiculars, between the stateroom and salon
      bulkheads,taking mighty swigs of delicious Porto and only making
      passing swipes of the meat and cheese. Bruce entertained with quick
      doodles drawn on bits of MDO(he claims he can draw quicker then he
      can talk!) to illustrate some of his novel design
      ideas/proposals/right-out-of-his-mind-schemes for future vessels.
      This guy is going to be a real threat/hazard on the water if he ever
      comes into a truckload of cash and decides to build :-D
      After going through the various construction features
      incorporated into the Windermere design,and in all likelihood boring
      Bruce to tears,our collective consciousness suffered a jolt when the
      last drop of Porto was poured. I swear it took no more then 5
      seconds worth of heated discussion to decide on venturing out into
      the cold wet wind for a second bottle. With legs of rubber and
      hearts of gold,we descended the ladder from Windermere,boarded the
      Rustcheck Limo and struck out for the liquor commission. Like two
      big kids in a candy store, we lit upon the Porto section like flies
      to shite.....Bruce even spied a 94% proof bottle of paint thinner
      which he thought would make a good gift to take
      home....hmmmmm...gotta wonder about that guy sometimes:-)
      Thus,the two of us found ourselves yet again ensconed within
      the warm wooden confines of Windermere,pouring warm Porto down our
      throats like thirsty cast-aways. Don't recall whether we even
      bothered to nibble at the remaining meat and cheese but do vaguely
      recall giving Bruce a quicky demo of the not-yet-famous hallowing
      method/technique for "perfect" laminated joints.That's right,say
      good bye to glue failure and glue-starved joints forever! I think
      Bruce photographed the entire sequence,especially after I heard him
      remark that he had ONLY 250 shots left in his camera......
      From this point on, my memory cells appear to have pulled up
      their moorings for I can only recall vignettes like deciding to head
      back onto the island of Montreal for supper at some cattle
      farm,taking Bruce on a drive through tour of my place of employement
      (the local asylum) and then experiencing some rather creative
      interpretations of the Quebec highway code as Bruce helmed the
      Rustcheck Limo into the downtown core. It was clear to me that this
      was a man accustomed to handling a pontoon houseboat as he deftly
      heaved us through some rather tight spots all the while considering
      the action of the raindrops on the windshield the way some of us
      study wave patterns.In one final act of courage,Bruce also
      demonstrated for me the superior breaking action of the Limo as I
      counted the little plastic ridges found on the brake light cover of
      the car just in front of us......we came THAT close to highway
      coitus.
      In the end,Bruce was still of sound enough mind to take on the
      great drive home to his royal abode despite his yearnings for some
      peek-a-boo-a-la-francais-chromed-fire-poll diversions. We both
      agreed to save those hijinks for next Spring .......

      So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Hope it was not too
      boring or too far off topic. I'll have to go see what Bruce has
      posted in the photos and perhaps ad some comments.

      Sincerely,

      Peter,le Mouton Gris,Lenihan, surprised that he survived to tell the
      tale,from along the banks of the wet-n-windy St.Lawrence...........
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
        wrote:

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/

        Bolgerados,
        Had a chance to review the photos so kindly posted by Bruce
        Hector and thought I might further explain what y'all is lookin'
        at :-)
        Beginning with the first photo and working our way down in
        order:
        "Windermere aft cabin"...this will eventually become the aft
        stateroom but is presently serving as work-shop since I have chosen
        to work my way aft in outfitting the interior.This saves a few
        hundred steps up and down the sides of the boat by keeping the work
        all inside.Just visible in the lower left hand corner is one of the
        two centerboard box sides upon receiving its finally coat of epoxy
        after the laying on of 2 10oz layers of glass.This will be followed
        by a thorough sanding and 4 coats of high build epoxy barrier
        coat/primer......I love sanding :-)

        "In the bow well"... yours truly illustrating for Bruce how the
        anchor crane is intended to work.Just forward of me is the dry
        fitted breasthook which will serve as the upper berring for the
        crane and just bellow it,the anchor storage well.The bow well is not
        as deep as it appears in the photo as I am standing in the bottom of
        the well prior to installing the sole.

        "Looking forward from aft cabin"...this photo is a bit
        deceiving in that it gives the impression of great headroom.However,
        that is simply because I have yet to install the cabin sole which
        will effectively raise things another foot or so. The little
        thermometer clipped to the bulkhead is one of three.The other two
        are located inside the boaw shed and one outside. I have been
        religiously recording the three readings for postarities sake and
        find that I can easily attain a 12 to 15 degree difference between
        the outside temps and those within both the shed interior and inside
        the cabin. The poly film layed over the cabin top further enhances
        the "greenhouse" effect.

        "Looking along the starboard side"....sure looks tall but a
        good part is under water,no rub rail installed and no paint
        scheme,thus the illusion.There is however enough space to stroll
        around the boat :-)

        "Bow fillet,port side".... This is a close up which shows a
        layer of the MDO removed.This is for allowing the laying of
        fiberglass tape along the chines,prior to fiberglassing the sides,
        and will result in a smooth,seamless transistion....no ugly
        fiberglass tape edges to fair :-).....also,each screw was removed
        and its hole plugged with epoxy and one round toothpick.The
        toothpick serving as a mini pile-driver to get the thickened epoxy
        all the way down top the bottom of the screw hole.The toothpick is
        left in place until the epoxy cures and is latter sanded off. Sure,I
        have lots of time on my hands for this sort of craziness and wish to
        avoid future grief with any type of "fastening sickness"....

        "Bruce boarding ladder".....what can I say,my main corrupting
        force and inspiration for maddness :-)

        "Peter enjoying pm nosh"....yes I was and comfy too on my
        little bit of log sitting right bellow where the kitchen counter
        will go. But ya shouda seen what I could see from there as Big Bad
        Bruce christianed/blessed/spilt a goodly glass of sacred Porto onto
        the the floor of the galley...and the boat wasn't even rockin' !

        That's it for my comments regarding Bruces pictures.Hope you
        enjoyed looking at them and perhaps Bruce will post some more since
        he sure took alot!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan, from along the sub-freezing shores of the dark
        St.Lawrence.............