Aluminum, and Diablo

  • Sal's Dad
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      I built a Teal of aluminum a couple years ago. 1/8" plate weighs about the
      same as 3/4 ply, but without any additional glass, paint, or water
      absorption (still, it feels like about a ton when you're dragging it up the
      shore). Should last a few lifetimes, even if it gets forgotten, full of
      water, for a decade or two.

      Teal was built as a simple trial, to see if an aluminum boat could be
      practically done by an amateur. I cut out panels, and assembled over
      wood frames, and had it welded up by a pro. Not as sticky as stitch and
      glue, but wear socks, as the sawdust is no fun in your shoes.

      What I really want to build is an aluminum stretched Diablo, say 19'x5'.
      There's a picture of one in wood on the web somewhere. This could be done
      out of stock 20' sheets, with no butt joints. An indestructible workboat
      for basic transportation.

      My current Diablo, with a Yamaha 25 4-stroke, goes 20-25 mph with pretty
      much any load or cargo, despite a chewed up prop and cut-away bottom -
      another story. There's a lot of movement in the transom, especially when
      you drop the 150lb motor down (no power tilt/trim for my wife!) or hit a
      ledge at speed. This movement is despite my efforts to beef up the transom,
      a lot.

      Curtis

      On the other hand, recent correspondence with Robb White has me dreaming of
      an aluminum Rescue Minor...
    • Howard Stephenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
        There is a scaled-up Diablo, designed originally for aluminum, called
        Portland Skiff. At least it was al. when it was shown in Bernie
        Wolfard's original catalog. In the write-up, Bernie suggests it could
        be built in plywood, if someone could modify the plan. Now, the same
        design features at:

        http://www.common-sense-boats.com/portland_skiff.htm

        .. already modified for plywood. It looks just the same as the al
        version, for which I am sure Bolger and Friends would sell you the
        plans.

        Howard