Re: [bolger] Re: Chebacco sails

  • Roger Derby
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
      You got it. Frazer Howell's boat is named "Itchy and Scratchy."

      (From the Registry at http://www.chebacco.com/ )

      Thanks,
      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
        I think the reason for the mizzen is to provide balance - at least
        that is what I found. It (the mizzen) provides little drive, but
        allowed me to trim the sails to where I didn't need to steer or even
        lash the tiller when sailing upwind - an admirable trait when
        singlehanding. Were I to suggest any changes to the rig it would be to
        increase the areas of both sails, particularly the main to give the
        boat a bit more umph in light airs as this would not increase the
        complexity of the rig - one would merely need to reef sooner.

        Paul Thober

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Paxton" <bill@p...> wrote:
        > Most of the catboats I've seen have one large mainsail. Sometimes
        > they might have a small jib. Why is the Chebacco designed with a
        > mizzen?
      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 13, 2005
          hehe
          Talk to Vincenzo Ciminale. He uses a jib, and a mizzen staysail...

          http://www.chebacco.com/articles/chebacco15.10/article.htm

          wrote:

          > Thinking about the earlier conversation here on the use/design of
          > foresails on the Chebacco, I wrote to Fraser Howell up in Nova
          > Scotia. Fraser, in my opinion, was a heck of an experimenter with
          > jibs and the like on his Chebacco. Here are his comments from a
          > private email to me:
          > =======
          > "I think that a spinnaker may be too much for an unstayed wooden
          > mast, at
          > least in anything greater that 10 kt. I've found that it is easy
          > overpower I @ S. Plus who needs it. Chebacco goes like stink off
          the
          > wind without one. The only time I've been in real difficulty is
          with
          > too
          > much power dead downwind. The jib is problematic. Its good in
          light
          > breezes, but with the main up, needs two people to handle if you
          are
          > going to be tacking much. Too many lines to handle alone,
          especially
          > in
          > close quarters. I wisker it out no the boathook when running.
          > However,
          > jib and mizzen alone can be handy for trolling or just making
          other
          > boats wonder what the heck you are! I had hoped that a jib would
          > improve
          > upwind performance, but it doesn't. I can tack through 90 degrees,
          > but
          > am pinching to do so."
          > ====
          > Moreover I contacted Sailrite and got their fix (of course they
          sell
          > and might not be able to say "not needed" but in any event): add a
          3'
          > bow sprit and then a larger jib is something they'd do (for over
          $200
          > as a kit); or add a 6 to 8' pole for an even larger sail, and
          they'd
          > come up with an asymmetrical spinnaker. But, given Fraser's
          comments
          > as well as Phil Bolger's design drawing of the sail plan, I'd not
          be
          > tempted, at least not for the coming season.
        • derbyrm
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
            I'm getting ready to order sails (MANY months premature) and wonder about
            the jib they offer. Has anyone sailed a 20' Chebacco with and without the
            jib? Does it make a huge improvement?

            Roger
            derbyrm@...
            http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "derbyrm" <derbyrm@...> wrote:

              > I'm getting ready to order sails (MANY months premature) and wonder
              about
              > the jib they offer. Has anyone sailed a 20' Chebacco with and
              without the
              > jib? Does it make a huge improvement?
              >
              > Roger
              > derbyrm@...
              > http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

              http://chebacco.com/

              Maybe check directly with some of the owners - like Ben Ho. I think
              about four Chebaccos have jibs. The concensus seems to be - it depends.

              Seems hardly worth the effort if solo and yet might entertain a bored
              crew.

              Nels
            • Jamie Orr
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
                Hi Roger,

                I have the jib, as drawn by PCB, and I can tell you it really isn't
                worth it (my opinion based on my experience) unless you put on a
                bowsprit. I don't have a bowsprit, so I have the tack at the bow of
                my Chebacco. When both main and jib are set, going to windward the
                jib spoils the flow to the main, and running, it is blanketed by the
                main. If set with the mizzen only, no main, it worked well downwind
                and across the wind instead of reefing the main in stronger wind,
                but
                I've never found it worthwhile doing much with it. One day I'll
                probably try a bowsprit but meanwhile I like the simplicity of the
                original rig.

                Chuck Gottfried uses a larger jib, Sailrite has the dimensions, and
                he
                also has a bowsprit -- you can reach him for details by going to
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sucia/ He also has roller furling and
                this arrangement has been very effective. I've sailed alongside him
                (and behind him!)

                The new owner of Sylvester, Richard, also uses a larger jib on a
                bowsprit and has had good experience with it. You can find him
                through www.chebacco.com

                Cheers,

                Jamie Orr
                Chebacco Wayward Lass