Re: [bolger] Windemere photos

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
      Congrats to Peter on his accomplishments so far, all with his usual high
      quality of workmanship.

      I have been reading his posts for about four years now. He has a very
      distinctive style of writing and you form a picture in your mind of
      someone after reading them for that long. He looks pretty much as I
      pictured him. I think if somebody had pointed out a crowd of boating
      enthusiasts, and said Peter Lenihan is in that crowd I would have been
      able to pick him out.

      HJ

      Bruce Hector wrote:

      >Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/
      >in the bolger4photos group.
      >
      >Bruce Hector
      >

      >Bolger rules!!!
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >.

    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
        Thanks for the photo update. It's great to see the progress.
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
          wrote:

          > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/

          .....and so there I was,going about a few simple housekeeping
          chores,like sweeping up several pounds of dust, in preparation for
          the arrival of Le Baron de Kingston,aka,le Mouton Noir, Big Bad
          Bruce Hector when out of the symphony of clacking wind driven
          shrouds came the sound of the RUSTCHECK limo cruching boatyard
          gravel.
          Upon entering my bowshed "shop",and exchanging the briefest of
          pleasentries,we immediately got down to the serious business of
          liberating some spirits.That is,what was to be the first of two
          bottles of porto was released from its glass prison and glasses
          filled prior to the outside inspection/tour with Bruce hot on my
          heels.
          Of course,Bruce feined surprise at the sight of the
          bottle,claiming that he thought I "was only joking" when I e-mailed
          him earlier in the week querying him whether or not he was,per
          chance,allergic to Porto. With a swiftness born of desire and
          practice,Big Bad Bruce was out and back from the Rustcheck Limo with
          a couple of spicy Italian sauges and a chunk of aged cheddar. Like
          we all carry this sort of stuff around in our cars,just in
          case.....ha!....Bruce couldn't hide his early Boyscout training in
          preparedness :-)
          And so,in short order, we were quickly positioned on our
          respective fanny perpendiculars, between the stateroom and salon
          bulkheads,taking mighty swigs of delicious Porto and only making
          passing swipes of the meat and cheese. Bruce entertained with quick
          doodles drawn on bits of MDO(he claims he can draw quicker then he
          can talk!) to illustrate some of his novel design
          ideas/proposals/right-out-of-his-mind-schemes for future vessels.
          This guy is going to be a real threat/hazard on the water if he ever
          comes into a truckload of cash and decides to build :-D
          After going through the various construction features
          incorporated into the Windermere design,and in all likelihood boring
          Bruce to tears,our collective consciousness suffered a jolt when the
          last drop of Porto was poured. I swear it took no more then 5
          seconds worth of heated discussion to decide on venturing out into
          the cold wet wind for a second bottle. With legs of rubber and
          hearts of gold,we descended the ladder from Windermere,boarded the
          Rustcheck Limo and struck out for the liquor commission. Like two
          big kids in a candy store, we lit upon the Porto section like flies
          to shite.....Bruce even spied a 94% proof bottle of paint thinner
          which he thought would make a good gift to take
          home....hmmmmm...gotta wonder about that guy sometimes:-)
          Thus,the two of us found ourselves yet again ensconed within
          the warm wooden confines of Windermere,pouring warm Porto down our
          throats like thirsty cast-aways. Don't recall whether we even
          bothered to nibble at the remaining meat and cheese but do vaguely
          recall giving Bruce a quicky demo of the not-yet-famous hallowing
          method/technique for "perfect" laminated joints.That's right,say
          good bye to glue failure and glue-starved joints forever! I think
          Bruce photographed the entire sequence,especially after I heard him
          remark that he had ONLY 250 shots left in his camera......
          From this point on, my memory cells appear to have pulled up
          their moorings for I can only recall vignettes like deciding to head
          back onto the island of Montreal for supper at some cattle
          farm,taking Bruce on a drive through tour of my place of employement
          (the local asylum) and then experiencing some rather creative
          interpretations of the Quebec highway code as Bruce helmed the
          Rustcheck Limo into the downtown core. It was clear to me that this
          was a man accustomed to handling a pontoon houseboat as he deftly
          heaved us through some rather tight spots all the while considering
          the action of the raindrops on the windshield the way some of us
          study wave patterns.In one final act of courage,Bruce also
          demonstrated for me the superior breaking action of the Limo as I
          counted the little plastic ridges found on the brake light cover of
          the car just in front of us......we came THAT close to highway
          coitus.
          In the end,Bruce was still of sound enough mind to take on the
          great drive home to his royal abode despite his yearnings for some
          peek-a-boo-a-la-francais-chromed-fire-poll diversions. We both
          agreed to save those hijinks for next Spring .......

          So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Hope it was not too
          boring or too far off topic. I'll have to go see what Bruce has
          posted in the photos and perhaps ad some comments.

          Sincerely,

          Peter,le Mouton Gris,Lenihan, surprised that he survived to tell the
          tale,from along the banks of the wet-n-windy St.Lawrence...........
        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
            wrote:

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
            > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/

            Bolgerados,
            Had a chance to review the photos so kindly posted by Bruce
            Hector and thought I might further explain what y'all is lookin'
            at :-)
            Beginning with the first photo and working our way down in
            order:
            "Windermere aft cabin"...this will eventually become the aft
            stateroom but is presently serving as work-shop since I have chosen
            to work my way aft in outfitting the interior.This saves a few
            hundred steps up and down the sides of the boat by keeping the work
            all inside.Just visible in the lower left hand corner is one of the
            two centerboard box sides upon receiving its finally coat of epoxy
            after the laying on of 2 10oz layers of glass.This will be followed
            by a thorough sanding and 4 coats of high build epoxy barrier
            coat/primer......I love sanding :-)

            "In the bow well"... yours truly illustrating for Bruce how the
            anchor crane is intended to work.Just forward of me is the dry
            fitted breasthook which will serve as the upper berring for the
            crane and just bellow it,the anchor storage well.The bow well is not
            as deep as it appears in the photo as I am standing in the bottom of
            the well prior to installing the sole.

            "Looking forward from aft cabin"...this photo is a bit
            deceiving in that it gives the impression of great headroom.However,
            that is simply because I have yet to install the cabin sole which
            will effectively raise things another foot or so. The little
            thermometer clipped to the bulkhead is one of three.The other two
            are located inside the boaw shed and one outside. I have been
            religiously recording the three readings for postarities sake and
            find that I can easily attain a 12 to 15 degree difference between
            the outside temps and those within both the shed interior and inside
            the cabin. The poly film layed over the cabin top further enhances
            the "greenhouse" effect.

            "Looking along the starboard side"....sure looks tall but a
            good part is under water,no rub rail installed and no paint
            scheme,thus the illusion.There is however enough space to stroll
            around the boat :-)

            "Bow fillet,port side".... This is a close up which shows a
            layer of the MDO removed.This is for allowing the laying of
            fiberglass tape along the chines,prior to fiberglassing the sides,
            and will result in a smooth,seamless transistion....no ugly
            fiberglass tape edges to fair :-).....also,each screw was removed
            and its hole plugged with epoxy and one round toothpick.The
            toothpick serving as a mini pile-driver to get the thickened epoxy
            all the way down top the bottom of the screw hole.The toothpick is
            left in place until the epoxy cures and is latter sanded off. Sure,I
            have lots of time on my hands for this sort of craziness and wish to
            avoid future grief with any type of "fastening sickness"....

            "Bruce boarding ladder".....what can I say,my main corrupting
            force and inspiration for maddness :-)

            "Peter enjoying pm nosh"....yes I was and comfy too on my
            little bit of log sitting right bellow where the kitchen counter
            will go. But ya shouda seen what I could see from there as Big Bad
            Bruce christianed/blessed/spilt a goodly glass of sacred Porto onto
            the the floor of the galley...and the boat wasn't even rockin' !

            That's it for my comments regarding Bruces pictures.Hope you
            enjoyed looking at them and perhaps Bruce will post some more since
            he sure took alot!

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan, from along the sub-freezing shores of the dark
            St.Lawrence.............