Re: Windemere photos

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
      wrote:

      > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/
      > in the bolger4photos group.
      >
      > Bruce Hector

      Wow - does that hull ever look huge! If you have any more photos
      please post them. But I suppose it is very difficult to get a good
      perspective in an enclosed area like that. Beautiful bottom - too bad
      only the fishes get to admire it once it is launched.

      At first I wondering who that old guy was with you;-)

      Cheers, Nels
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
        Congrats to Peter on his accomplishments so far, all with his usual high
        quality of workmanship.

        I have been reading his posts for about four years now. He has a very
        distinctive style of writing and you form a picture in your mind of
        someone after reading them for that long. He looks pretty much as I
        pictured him. I think if somebody had pointed out a crowd of boating
        enthusiasts, and said Peter Lenihan is in that crowd I would have been
        able to pick him out.

        HJ

        Bruce Hector wrote:

        >Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
        >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/
        >in the bolger4photos group.
        >
        >Bruce Hector
        >

        >Bolger rules!!!
        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >.

      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
          Thanks for the photo update. It's great to see the progress.
        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
            wrote:

            > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/

            .....and so there I was,going about a few simple housekeeping
            chores,like sweeping up several pounds of dust, in preparation for
            the arrival of Le Baron de Kingston,aka,le Mouton Noir, Big Bad
            Bruce Hector when out of the symphony of clacking wind driven
            shrouds came the sound of the RUSTCHECK limo cruching boatyard
            gravel.
            Upon entering my bowshed "shop",and exchanging the briefest of
            pleasentries,we immediately got down to the serious business of
            liberating some spirits.That is,what was to be the first of two
            bottles of porto was released from its glass prison and glasses
            filled prior to the outside inspection/tour with Bruce hot on my
            heels.
            Of course,Bruce feined surprise at the sight of the
            bottle,claiming that he thought I "was only joking" when I e-mailed
            him earlier in the week querying him whether or not he was,per
            chance,allergic to Porto. With a swiftness born of desire and
            practice,Big Bad Bruce was out and back from the Rustcheck Limo with
            a couple of spicy Italian sauges and a chunk of aged cheddar. Like
            we all carry this sort of stuff around in our cars,just in
            case.....ha!....Bruce couldn't hide his early Boyscout training in
            preparedness :-)
            And so,in short order, we were quickly positioned on our
            respective fanny perpendiculars, between the stateroom and salon
            bulkheads,taking mighty swigs of delicious Porto and only making
            passing swipes of the meat and cheese. Bruce entertained with quick
            doodles drawn on bits of MDO(he claims he can draw quicker then he
            can talk!) to illustrate some of his novel design
            ideas/proposals/right-out-of-his-mind-schemes for future vessels.
            This guy is going to be a real threat/hazard on the water if he ever
            comes into a truckload of cash and decides to build :-D
            After going through the various construction features
            incorporated into the Windermere design,and in all likelihood boring
            Bruce to tears,our collective consciousness suffered a jolt when the
            last drop of Porto was poured. I swear it took no more then 5
            seconds worth of heated discussion to decide on venturing out into
            the cold wet wind for a second bottle. With legs of rubber and
            hearts of gold,we descended the ladder from Windermere,boarded the
            Rustcheck Limo and struck out for the liquor commission. Like two
            big kids in a candy store, we lit upon the Porto section like flies
            to shite.....Bruce even spied a 94% proof bottle of paint thinner
            which he thought would make a good gift to take
            home....hmmmmm...gotta wonder about that guy sometimes:-)
            Thus,the two of us found ourselves yet again ensconed within
            the warm wooden confines of Windermere,pouring warm Porto down our
            throats like thirsty cast-aways. Don't recall whether we even
            bothered to nibble at the remaining meat and cheese but do vaguely
            recall giving Bruce a quicky demo of the not-yet-famous hallowing
            method/technique for "perfect" laminated joints.That's right,say
            good bye to glue failure and glue-starved joints forever! I think
            Bruce photographed the entire sequence,especially after I heard him
            remark that he had ONLY 250 shots left in his camera......
            From this point on, my memory cells appear to have pulled up
            their moorings for I can only recall vignettes like deciding to head
            back onto the island of Montreal for supper at some cattle
            farm,taking Bruce on a drive through tour of my place of employement
            (the local asylum) and then experiencing some rather creative
            interpretations of the Quebec highway code as Bruce helmed the
            Rustcheck Limo into the downtown core. It was clear to me that this
            was a man accustomed to handling a pontoon houseboat as he deftly
            heaved us through some rather tight spots all the while considering
            the action of the raindrops on the windshield the way some of us
            study wave patterns.In one final act of courage,Bruce also
            demonstrated for me the superior breaking action of the Limo as I
            counted the little plastic ridges found on the brake light cover of
            the car just in front of us......we came THAT close to highway
            coitus.
            In the end,Bruce was still of sound enough mind to take on the
            great drive home to his royal abode despite his yearnings for some
            peek-a-boo-a-la-francais-chromed-fire-poll diversions. We both
            agreed to save those hijinks for next Spring .......

            So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Hope it was not too
            boring or too far off topic. I'll have to go see what Bruce has
            posted in the photos and perhaps ad some comments.

            Sincerely,

            Peter,le Mouton Gris,Lenihan, surprised that he survived to tell the
            tale,from along the banks of the wet-n-windy St.Lawrence...........
          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
              wrote:

              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/

              Bolgerados,
              Had a chance to review the photos so kindly posted by Bruce
              Hector and thought I might further explain what y'all is lookin'
              at :-)
              Beginning with the first photo and working our way down in
              order:
              "Windermere aft cabin"...this will eventually become the aft
              stateroom but is presently serving as work-shop since I have chosen
              to work my way aft in outfitting the interior.This saves a few
              hundred steps up and down the sides of the boat by keeping the work
              all inside.Just visible in the lower left hand corner is one of the
              two centerboard box sides upon receiving its finally coat of epoxy
              after the laying on of 2 10oz layers of glass.This will be followed
              by a thorough sanding and 4 coats of high build epoxy barrier
              coat/primer......I love sanding :-)

              "In the bow well"... yours truly illustrating for Bruce how the
              anchor crane is intended to work.Just forward of me is the dry
              fitted breasthook which will serve as the upper berring for the
              crane and just bellow it,the anchor storage well.The bow well is not
              as deep as it appears in the photo as I am standing in the bottom of
              the well prior to installing the sole.

              "Looking forward from aft cabin"...this photo is a bit
              deceiving in that it gives the impression of great headroom.However,
              that is simply because I have yet to install the cabin sole which
              will effectively raise things another foot or so. The little
              thermometer clipped to the bulkhead is one of three.The other two
              are located inside the boaw shed and one outside. I have been
              religiously recording the three readings for postarities sake and
              find that I can easily attain a 12 to 15 degree difference between
              the outside temps and those within both the shed interior and inside
              the cabin. The poly film layed over the cabin top further enhances
              the "greenhouse" effect.

              "Looking along the starboard side"....sure looks tall but a
              good part is under water,no rub rail installed and no paint
              scheme,thus the illusion.There is however enough space to stroll
              around the boat :-)

              "Bow fillet,port side".... This is a close up which shows a
              layer of the MDO removed.This is for allowing the laying of
              fiberglass tape along the chines,prior to fiberglassing the sides,
              and will result in a smooth,seamless transistion....no ugly
              fiberglass tape edges to fair :-).....also,each screw was removed
              and its hole plugged with epoxy and one round toothpick.The
              toothpick serving as a mini pile-driver to get the thickened epoxy
              all the way down top the bottom of the screw hole.The toothpick is
              left in place until the epoxy cures and is latter sanded off. Sure,I
              have lots of time on my hands for this sort of craziness and wish to
              avoid future grief with any type of "fastening sickness"....

              "Bruce boarding ladder".....what can I say,my main corrupting
              force and inspiration for maddness :-)

              "Peter enjoying pm nosh"....yes I was and comfy too on my
              little bit of log sitting right bellow where the kitchen counter
              will go. But ya shouda seen what I could see from there as Big Bad
              Bruce christianed/blessed/spilt a goodly glass of sacred Porto onto
              the the floor of the galley...and the boat wasn't even rockin' !

              That's it for my comments regarding Bruces pictures.Hope you
              enjoyed looking at them and perhaps Bruce will post some more since
              he sure took alot!

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan, from along the sub-freezing shores of the dark
              St.Lawrence.............