Windemere photos

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
      Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/
      in the bolger4photos group.

      Bruce Hector
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
        wrote:

        > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/
        > in the bolger4photos group.
        >
        > Bruce Hector

        Wow - does that hull ever look huge! If you have any more photos
        please post them. But I suppose it is very difficult to get a good
        perspective in an enclosed area like that. Beautiful bottom - too bad
        only the fishes get to admire it once it is launched.

        At first I wondering who that old guy was with you;-)

        Cheers, Nels
      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
          Congrats to Peter on his accomplishments so far, all with his usual high
          quality of workmanship.

          I have been reading his posts for about four years now. He has a very
          distinctive style of writing and you form a picture in your mind of
          someone after reading them for that long. He looks pretty much as I
          pictured him. I think if somebody had pointed out a crowd of boating
          enthusiasts, and said Peter Lenihan is in that crowd I would have been
          able to pick him out.

          HJ

          Bruce Hector wrote:

          >Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
          >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/
          >in the bolger4photos group.
          >
          >Bruce Hector
          >

          >Bolger rules!!!
          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          >.

        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
            Thanks for the photo update. It's great to see the progress.
          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
              wrote:

              > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/

              .....and so there I was,going about a few simple housekeeping
              chores,like sweeping up several pounds of dust, in preparation for
              the arrival of Le Baron de Kingston,aka,le Mouton Noir, Big Bad
              Bruce Hector when out of the symphony of clacking wind driven
              shrouds came the sound of the RUSTCHECK limo cruching boatyard
              gravel.
              Upon entering my bowshed "shop",and exchanging the briefest of
              pleasentries,we immediately got down to the serious business of
              liberating some spirits.That is,what was to be the first of two
              bottles of porto was released from its glass prison and glasses
              filled prior to the outside inspection/tour with Bruce hot on my
              heels.
              Of course,Bruce feined surprise at the sight of the
              bottle,claiming that he thought I "was only joking" when I e-mailed
              him earlier in the week querying him whether or not he was,per
              chance,allergic to Porto. With a swiftness born of desire and
              practice,Big Bad Bruce was out and back from the Rustcheck Limo with
              a couple of spicy Italian sauges and a chunk of aged cheddar. Like
              we all carry this sort of stuff around in our cars,just in
              case.....ha!....Bruce couldn't hide his early Boyscout training in
              preparedness :-)
              And so,in short order, we were quickly positioned on our
              respective fanny perpendiculars, between the stateroom and salon
              bulkheads,taking mighty swigs of delicious Porto and only making
              passing swipes of the meat and cheese. Bruce entertained with quick
              doodles drawn on bits of MDO(he claims he can draw quicker then he
              can talk!) to illustrate some of his novel design
              ideas/proposals/right-out-of-his-mind-schemes for future vessels.
              This guy is going to be a real threat/hazard on the water if he ever
              comes into a truckload of cash and decides to build :-D
              After going through the various construction features
              incorporated into the Windermere design,and in all likelihood boring
              Bruce to tears,our collective consciousness suffered a jolt when the
              last drop of Porto was poured. I swear it took no more then 5
              seconds worth of heated discussion to decide on venturing out into
              the cold wet wind for a second bottle. With legs of rubber and
              hearts of gold,we descended the ladder from Windermere,boarded the
              Rustcheck Limo and struck out for the liquor commission. Like two
              big kids in a candy store, we lit upon the Porto section like flies
              to shite.....Bruce even spied a 94% proof bottle of paint thinner
              which he thought would make a good gift to take
              home....hmmmmm...gotta wonder about that guy sometimes:-)
              Thus,the two of us found ourselves yet again ensconed within
              the warm wooden confines of Windermere,pouring warm Porto down our
              throats like thirsty cast-aways. Don't recall whether we even
              bothered to nibble at the remaining meat and cheese but do vaguely
              recall giving Bruce a quicky demo of the not-yet-famous hallowing
              method/technique for "perfect" laminated joints.That's right,say
              good bye to glue failure and glue-starved joints forever! I think
              Bruce photographed the entire sequence,especially after I heard him
              remark that he had ONLY 250 shots left in his camera......
              From this point on, my memory cells appear to have pulled up
              their moorings for I can only recall vignettes like deciding to head
              back onto the island of Montreal for supper at some cattle
              farm,taking Bruce on a drive through tour of my place of employement
              (the local asylum) and then experiencing some rather creative
              interpretations of the Quebec highway code as Bruce helmed the
              Rustcheck Limo into the downtown core. It was clear to me that this
              was a man accustomed to handling a pontoon houseboat as he deftly
              heaved us through some rather tight spots all the while considering
              the action of the raindrops on the windshield the way some of us
              study wave patterns.In one final act of courage,Bruce also
              demonstrated for me the superior breaking action of the Limo as I
              counted the little plastic ridges found on the brake light cover of
              the car just in front of us......we came THAT close to highway
              coitus.
              In the end,Bruce was still of sound enough mind to take on the
              great drive home to his royal abode despite his yearnings for some
              peek-a-boo-a-la-francais-chromed-fire-poll diversions. We both
              agreed to save those hijinks for next Spring .......

              So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Hope it was not too
              boring or too far off topic. I'll have to go see what Bruce has
              posted in the photos and perhaps ad some comments.

              Sincerely,

              Peter,le Mouton Gris,Lenihan, surprised that he survived to tell the
              tale,from along the banks of the wet-n-windy St.Lawrence...........
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
                wrote:

                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Peter Lenihan has taken his Windemere 3D in a BIG way. Photos in
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger4photos/files/Windemere/

                Bolgerados,
                Had a chance to review the photos so kindly posted by Bruce
                Hector and thought I might further explain what y'all is lookin'
                at :-)
                Beginning with the first photo and working our way down in
                order:
                "Windermere aft cabin"...this will eventually become the aft
                stateroom but is presently serving as work-shop since I have chosen
                to work my way aft in outfitting the interior.This saves a few
                hundred steps up and down the sides of the boat by keeping the work
                all inside.Just visible in the lower left hand corner is one of the
                two centerboard box sides upon receiving its finally coat of epoxy
                after the laying on of 2 10oz layers of glass.This will be followed
                by a thorough sanding and 4 coats of high build epoxy barrier
                coat/primer......I love sanding :-)

                "In the bow well"... yours truly illustrating for Bruce how the
                anchor crane is intended to work.Just forward of me is the dry
                fitted breasthook which will serve as the upper berring for the
                crane and just bellow it,the anchor storage well.The bow well is not
                as deep as it appears in the photo as I am standing in the bottom of
                the well prior to installing the sole.

                "Looking forward from aft cabin"...this photo is a bit
                deceiving in that it gives the impression of great headroom.However,
                that is simply because I have yet to install the cabin sole which
                will effectively raise things another foot or so. The little
                thermometer clipped to the bulkhead is one of three.The other two
                are located inside the boaw shed and one outside. I have been
                religiously recording the three readings for postarities sake and
                find that I can easily attain a 12 to 15 degree difference between
                the outside temps and those within both the shed interior and inside
                the cabin. The poly film layed over the cabin top further enhances
                the "greenhouse" effect.

                "Looking along the starboard side"....sure looks tall but a
                good part is under water,no rub rail installed and no paint
                scheme,thus the illusion.There is however enough space to stroll
                around the boat :-)

                "Bow fillet,port side".... This is a close up which shows a
                layer of the MDO removed.This is for allowing the laying of
                fiberglass tape along the chines,prior to fiberglassing the sides,
                and will result in a smooth,seamless transistion....no ugly
                fiberglass tape edges to fair :-).....also,each screw was removed
                and its hole plugged with epoxy and one round toothpick.The
                toothpick serving as a mini pile-driver to get the thickened epoxy
                all the way down top the bottom of the screw hole.The toothpick is
                left in place until the epoxy cures and is latter sanded off. Sure,I
                have lots of time on my hands for this sort of craziness and wish to
                avoid future grief with any type of "fastening sickness"....

                "Bruce boarding ladder".....what can I say,my main corrupting
                force and inspiration for maddness :-)

                "Peter enjoying pm nosh"....yes I was and comfy too on my
                little bit of log sitting right bellow where the kitchen counter
                will go. But ya shouda seen what I could see from there as Big Bad
                Bruce christianed/blessed/spilt a goodly glass of sacred Porto onto
                the the floor of the galley...and the boat wasn't even rockin' !

                That's it for my comments regarding Bruces pictures.Hope you
                enjoyed looking at them and perhaps Bruce will post some more since
                he sure took alot!

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan, from along the sub-freezing shores of the dark
                St.Lawrence.............