work skiff or boston whaler type boat?

  • Stephen Gill
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
      Hello,
      I am new to this site. I have a couple of questions.

      1 Does anyone have any leads to good plans for a stitch and glue wide
      beam work skiff? 14' to 17'.

      2 Are there stitch and sew knock offs or similar designs to the 13 to
      15 foot Boston Whaler type boats?

      I have searched the archive but it is bewildering with the amount of
      information here, my apologies if these are redundant questions.

      What I need is a boat for aquaculure research that is easy to build.

      Best Regards,
      Steve Gill
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
        Steve--Try HH Payson's web site. He sells Bolger plans for a "Clam Skiff", a slightly smaller version, and something called "Skimmer", a poor man's whaler.

        John T
        I am new to this site. I have a couple of questions.

        1 Does anyone have any leads to good plans for a stitch and glue wide
        beam work skiff? 14' to 17'.

        2 Are there stitch and sew knock offs or similar designs to the 13 to
        15 foot Boston Whaler type boats?

        I have searched the archive but it is bewildering with the amount of
        information here, my apologies if these are redundant questions.

        What I need is a boat for aquaculure research that is easy to build.

        Best Regards,
        Steve Gill

        Bolger rules!!!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Bruce Hector
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
          The work skiff and clam skiff at Payson's
          http://www.instantboats.com
          available in two lengths, beamy and very stable.

          Bolger's Skimmer, which he called the "Poor man's Boston Whaler" is
          on Payson's site. Only 8 feet long, it can be easily stretched to 10,
          12, 14.

          John Welsford's Trover at Duckworks at:
          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com

          Also searching through the Duckworks design section will show you
          dozens of skiffs.

          Bruce Hector
          http://www.brucesboats.com
          Off to Montreal today to see Peter Lenihan's progress on Windemere,
          sink a few brewskis, and gorge on barbequed meat at Milsa. Yes, I'm
          taking my camera.
        • Stephen Gill
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
            Hello,
            Yes I am interested in Payson's "Skimmer". But what happens if I
            stretch the design booth ways. Say from the 8' length to 12' length
            from the 4' width to the 5' to 6' width. What are the changes to the
            dynamics of the boat and what do I need to add to the design
            structure? Will it be safe and will it turn?

            Best Regards,
            Steve Gill
          • Howard Stephenson
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
              Hi Steve,

              As a boat for aquaculture research, I'd reckon the Clam Skiff would
              be hard to beat. It is fairly narrow for its length but, because
              there is no flare to its sides, it would be very stable. It is
              heavily constructed and should stand a grounding without too much
              risk of serious damage.

              Skimmer is designed as an easily-built fun boat. Scaling it up as you
              suggest brings you into uncharted territory. Who knows how it will
              perform? It will have about 3-1/2 times the volume of the original
              design. You would have to re-think how to build it: new thickness and
              panel-joint placement for the plywood, new dimensions for the
              timbers, new seating arrangements, a proper structural arrangement
              for supporting the bottom, sides etc.

              Another design that might suit you is Jim Michalak's Jonsboat. Have a
              look at:
              http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/plans/jim/jonsboat/index.htm

              If you hunt around on the web you will find plans for other jonboats.
              I'd prefer to have a little more height to the sides than the
              Michalak boat.

              Howard

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Gill" <stevepgill@c...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              > Yes I am interested in Payson's "Skimmer". But what happens if I
              > stretch the design booth ways. Say from the 8' length to 12' length
              > from the 4' width to the 5' to 6' width. What are the changes to
              the
              > dynamics of the boat and what do I need to add to the design
              > structure? Will it be safe and will it turn?
            • pvanderwaart
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
                If you look under powerboats here:
                http://www.boatplans-online.com/
                there are several garveys and punts, including a couple designed for
                the Whaler crowd.
              • donschultz8275
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Gill" <stevepgill@c...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  > I am new to this site. I have a couple of questions.
                  >
                  > 1 Does anyone have any leads to good plans for a stitch and glue wide
                  > beam work skiff? 14' to 17'.

                  Steve,

                  http://www.oldwharf.com/ow_workskiffs.html

                  The Old Wharf LYS comes in the size and with the attributes you want.
                  I would avoid modifying a design when you can get what you want
                  already properly engineered and proven.

                  You've also been pointed at Bolger's Work Skiff on Payson's site. I
                  consider the Bolger and the Old Warf to be rugged capable designs
                  which can be built to plans and definitely will perform.
                • fountainb@switch.aust.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
                    donschultz@... wrote:
                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Gill" <stevepgill@c...> wrote:
                    > > 1 Does anyone have any leads to good plans for a stitch and glue wide
                    > > beam work skiff? 14' to 17'.
                    >
                    > Steve,
                    >
                    > http://www.oldwharf.com/ow_workskiffs.html
                    >
                    > The Old Wharf LYS comes in the size and with the attributes you want.
                    > I would avoid modifying a design when you can get what you want
                    > already properly engineered and proven.

                    ... except that the oldwharf design doesn't seem to be s&g.

                    Bruce Fountain
                    Systems Engineer
                    Union Switch & Signal
                    Perth, Western Australia

                  • Howard Stephenson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                      A couple more ideas:

                      There is Jimbo, a 15'9" s+g Garvey. To find it, go to
                      http://www.glenl.com/ and follow the menus. There are also plans for
                      construction in aluminum.

                      There is a nice-looking 16' s+g garvey at
                      http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/GF16_study.htm

                      Howard
                    • Roger Derby
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                        OR, modify a design carefully and

                        THEN get the plans for a proven design and

                        LEARN what you forgot or didn't understand. (or pat yourself on the back for
                        having done it right)

                        Roger (Am I the only one old enough to remember Tom Lehrer's song
                        "Plagiarize?")
                        derbyrm@...
                        http://derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm